SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19039753

Starbuck's Gingerbread Loaf -- faux edition

User
3 years ago

I absolutely adore Starbuck's Gingerbread Loaf. From the first time I ordered it, I was in love! I've even been to known to buy whole ones (we live at least 35 minutes from a Starbuck's -- which perhaps is good (BIG GRIN).

I've looked at "copycat" recipes on line but the interesting thing is that they're all different -- sure they all have applesauce, sugar and flour and eggs and orange but then the similarities end. Some have ginger and all of the "pumpkin pie" spices, others have just cinnamon and cloves and ginger. And most had cream cheese frosting.

I found the Starbucks website, wrote down the ingredients listed and came up with a recipe for a loaf that I thought was really good. I didn't put the candied peel in it (it's expensive and if I had to throw it away . . .) but I will next time. Now I won't have to drive 70 miles (round trip) for a slice of my favorite fall cake.

Oh, and it's not a gingerbread at all -- there is NO ginger in it! It's an orange applesauce cake. Go figure as to how they can call it gingerbread!!!! But it is good.

Even though all of Starbuck's noshes are made at a factory in Texas and shipped to the individual units, I find that they are all good -- but this gingerbread loaf is my favorite!

LINDERHOF'S STARBUCK'S GINGERBREAD LOAF

1 1/2 c. flour

1 c. sugar

3/4 t. salt

1 t. baking soda

2 t. cinnamon

3/4 t. cloves

1/2 t. dry mustard

1 t. baking powder

2 eggs

1 c. applesauce

1/2 c. butter at room temperature

zest of 1 orange

2 T. orange juice

FROSTING:

1 egg white

3/4 c. powdered sugar

1/2 t. lemon juice

1 t. corn syrup

Mix butter and sugar together. Add eggs. Mix flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and spices. Add to butter/egg mixture. Add zest of orange and orange juice and stir. Add applesauce and stir. (This is the point I would add the candied peel). Pour into a 9 x 5 loaf pan and bake for 50 to 60 minutes in a preheated 350 oven.

Cool then frost

Take egg white and beat in the bowl of an electric mixer with the whisk attachment until stiff peaks form. Add lemon juice an beat again. Add corn syrup and beat again. Frost cooled cake.

Comments (32)

• rockypointdog
    3 years ago

I have never had the Starbucks gingerbread loaf. That looks delicious! Dry mustard?! That was a surprise.

• User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes, most of the copycat recipes on line don't have the mustard but it's in the list of ingredients!

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    3 years ago

That looks delicious, Martha! I'm not a baker. A 5 lb. bag of flour can last a year in my house and sugar even longer. I cheat and buy Trader Joe's gingerbread and cornbread mixes. I know how to bake, but I despise doing it for some reason...

• foodonastump
    3 years ago

I wonder if someone at Sbux saw a yellowish powder and mistook it for mustard!

Looks really good. Might have to try a slice at the shop and then give your recipe a go. Thanks for sharing!

• sheilajoyce_gw
    3 years ago

But my question is, would Philadelphia Cream Cheese Frosting taste even better as the frosting???

• Fun2BHere
    3 years ago

You reminded me that I need to go buy a box of their cranberry bliss bars. I love those things and put a box in the freezer every year. I forgot to do it last year and I've been craving a bite for months. :-(

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

Sooz, their iced lemon loaf is my favorite of any of the Starbuck's pastries!! Try this recipe - I've made it myself and I think it is very close, if not dead-on.

• User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sooz -- I'll see what I can do -- that was going to be next on my list -- I have mastered: cranberry bliss bars, pumpkin scones, pumpkin loaf and now gingerbread loaf.

• User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Shellajoyce -- perhaps but not authentic --

• chloebud
    3 years ago

Martha, it really does look tasty and moist. Interesting there's no ginger.

User thanked chloebud
  • CA Kate z9
    3 years ago

I LOVE Starbuck's Lemon Loaf. Thanks for posting the link, Gardengal.

I haven't tried their Gingerbread Loaf, but will. Thanks for posting your recipe, Martha.

• User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Chloebud -- that's what I thought. But their food label HAS to have a list of ingredients in the product and mustard is listed and ginger is not!

• chloebud
    3 years ago

I wonder why they didn't just call it Spice Loaf...?

• olychick
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Gingerbread probably conjures up many more fond memories than spice loaf would?

• chloebud
    3 years ago

Could be, olychick...and it does look like it could be a ginger loaf. For anyone who'd want to, it would be easy to tweak by subbing some of the cinnamon with ginger.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make but you can find other copycat recipes for this same loaf that include ground ginger in place of the mustard powder. All other ingredients appear to be identical.

• Cloud Swift
    3 years ago

In the original ingredients, "natural flavors" are on the list earlier (higher quantity by weight) than baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and a lot of other items. That element could include a ginger flavoring.

• olychick
    3 years ago

I wondered about that, too; strange since other spices are listed separately. I just wrote to them to ask "Where's the ginger?" Will post when I get a reply.

User thanked olychick
  • olychick
    3 years ago

It's funny looking at the ingredients; I always thought it had candied ginger (maybe pieces in the frosting? I haven't had a piece for a year or more) but I see that it's orange peel. So much for my discriminating palate!

• Sooz
    3 years ago

Thanks for the recipe link, gardengal48!

Thanks in advance, Martha, for your next foray into the world of Starbucks i.e. specifically lemon loaf!

• cloudy_christine
    3 years ago

The classic French spice bread, pain d'épice, has mustard in it.

• petalique
    3 years ago

Ooh, Martha! You keep scoring tens. And your photography is excellent. I can taste, smell, feel that delicious cake. I hope you’re only 20 minutes away....

• olychick
    3 years ago

Well, I heard back from Starbucks today about no ginger in the ginger loaf. Poor guy in customer service apologized that I was unhappy with my purchase, please provide a copy of my receipt and the store where I purchased it and they will immediately credit my Starbucks card with a gift amount. Nice!

But I wrote back and said I wasn't complaining about a purchase, just inquiring why it appears there is no ginger in their ginger loaf. No credit necessary. We'll see if I hear back again.

• bragu_DSM 5
    3 years ago

well, I plan to fix this today [tuesday] but I need to go snag some applesauce

• l pinkmountain
    3 years ago

I have occasionally seen recipes for gingerbread calling for mustard powder in addition to ginger. As to the candied peel, I'm curious because I actually bought some candied peel and I would like a good recipe that uses it. Not even sure why I bought it, I think for some type of Christmas bread. But now I have a whole lot of it. It doesn't really spoil though . . .

Is the peel in the bread or the icing? If I did make the bread I probably wouldn't ice it.

• chloebud
    3 years ago

olychick, that was nice of them. Also nice of you to say no credit necessary.

• User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

pink mountain -- it was both -- some in the loaf and a little sprinkled on the top -- not very much! I'm ordering peel to to make it again.

• User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Olychick -- but the guy didn't tell you -- just offered credit?

• User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Cloud Swift -- I looked up "natural flavorings" and if I read it right, it is natural ingredients but say, for strawberry flavoring it may not be strawberries but a couple of different seeds and nuts that produce a more strawberry flavor than an actual strawberry. That being said, if the "ginger" is in the natural flavorings, it's not really ginger but just some natural ingredients that have a ginger flavor! And I'm not sure where the home cook would every find that! LOL!

• Cloud Swift
    3 years ago

Martha - yes, natural flavoring might be something concocted from some other types of "natural" things to produce the flavor - used because it is cheaper or provides a stronger flavor or whatever. Even if a home cook could find it, it would be more artificial than I would want to use. As a home cook, I'd just put in some ginger. My point was just that it could be where the ginger is hiding. Or part of the ginger flavor with the mustard powder to provide some of a ginger-like bite.

• Olychick
    3 years ago

Martha, he had no ability to answer my question..it seemed like he just cut and pasted a script into the email reply. So when I wrote back, I asked again. This time I got a reply thanking me for my input and assuring me they would pass on the information to the "appropriate" department. No promise of follow up of any kind.

I have a very good friend who works in the Starbucks legal department, so I wrote to him and asked if his would be one of the appropriate departments, lol. Like could they be fined or sued for false labeling?

I'll give them a couple of weeks and follow up. I might call and try to talk to someone and go up the chain of command. It doesn't really matter to me, but I am so curious now! And I'm in Covid jail so I might as well harass customer service workers (just kidding, I'm very nice to them all).

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor