SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msazadi

RECIPE: Gingerbread With Milk Chocolate Chunks

msazadi
18 years ago

I just saw this in the Baltimore Sun, and since I'm the gingerbread lover I'm hoping dh will find this an acceptable dessert. Tomorrow might be another 'boys night in' dinner at our house, so I hope to test this one tonight.

Gingerbread With Milk Chocolate Chunks

Serves 8 to 10

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar

1/4 cup light unsulfured molasses

1/4 cup honey

1 egg

1/2 cup very finely minced peeled ginger

6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces

4 ounces milk chocolate, chopped into small pieces or milk chocolate chips

whipped cream or creme fraiche (optional)

Position a rack in the lower third of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease or line with parchment a 9-inch round or square pan.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and baking soda. Set aside. In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, molasses and honey. Whisk in the egg and ginger. In a saucepan, heat the butter and 1/2 cup water until the butter is melted. Whisk hot mixture into the honey mixture. Add the flour mixture and stir until smooth. Stir in the chocolate. Scrape the batter into the pan.

Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, except (possibly) for the melted chocolate, 25 to 30 minutes for a square cake, a little longer for the round. Cool the cake on a rack, invert the cake, remove the pan and peel off the paper liner. Serve right side up warm or at room temperature, plain or with a dab of whipped cream or creme fraiche.

Per serving (based on 10 servings without whipped cream): 271 calories; 4 grams protein; 11 grams fat; 6 grams saturated fat; 40 grams carbohydrate; 1 gram fiber; 42 milligrams cholesterol; 207 milligrams sodium

From "Chocolate Holidays"

Comments (5)