SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swiss_chard_fanatic

HVAC question in small house without central air

We have poor indoor air quality and we have never really dealt with it but I think it's time, now that we are doing a bathroom remodel (separate thread).

We have a small older home with 2 window AC units, and we have never been happy with the situation. Besides the AC units, we do not have any other HVAC systems except for a powerful vent fan in the bathroom and a normal one in the laundry room.

Indoor Air Quality Problems We Are Experiencing:

• In summer, the kitchen will reach up to 85 degrees with oven on, while the livingroom could be 67 degrees, as the primary AC in the house is in the livingroom, and the kitchen is at the opposite side of the house.
  • We have a storage room (one of the bedrooms) that has no AC, and it's a constant fight to keep mold from growing in that room, as there is no air flow into and/or out of that room.
  • Both our AC units have black colored mold growing in them and the primary AC unit is too heavy for us to remove annually for cleaning, and we cannot thoroughly clean them anyway. So the primary AC has gone 3 years without being cleaned. I'm not sure what the solution is for this, or how often window units need to be cleaned, or how much it costs to have them professionally cleaned, etc.
  • I smell moldy smells off and on in the house, such as during a heavy rain, or in the hottest summer months.
  • The bathroom always smells of mold and has ongoing bad moisture problems.

The Catch:

The home's market value cannot justify the cost of installing an expensive HVAC system.

What We WERE Planning To Do Before:

We were going to replace both our window AC units with 2 ductless AC units, but we can see now that this will not solve all our air quality problems.

What can we do that is economical that will solve our air quality problems? We live in a hot and humid climate in an older home that is under 1,000 sq ft.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Comments (11)