SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jslazart

Quirky kitchen remodel: ambient, task, and natural light.

jslazart
4 years ago

Layout:

Elevations:

Pre-drywall electrical is next week, so I need to finalize where I want my boxes.

Questions:

1. Natural light first: Does the proposed south-facing clerestory window look odd? It won't be cheap, but the house really lacks natural light currently. If we moved the hood ductwork (routing it either out through the garage or out at about 8.5' up instead of all the way up to the 11' ceiling), we could make the window wider. I am at a loss as to what will look best.

2. Are there any good alternatives to can lights for a vaulted ceiling? Cans would compromise the insulation. All options I've found look like targeted spot lights (often with integrated LEDs) that don't seem like they will work well for ambient lighting.

3. How does my lighting plan look otherwise? I feel like the clean-up sink wall is a mess and 3 wall lights there will look crowded, but I don't want to have insufficient task lighting. We mostly do dishes after dark or before dawn. I'm also not sure where to put task lights on the range wall with that pesky HVAC vent in the way.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Comments (7)