SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tracieerin

HVAC Installation Issues

tracie_erin
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We had our furnace and central AC unit replaced last summer. We did go with the lowest bidder but he is a subcontractor for my friend's husband, who is a high-end GC, so we thought it wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately, that has not been the case.

We immediately had problems with the AC unit freezing up repeatedly. Company added a return in the basement to alleviate the issue, however it persisted on and off through the hot weather. We let it go over the cooler weather after the guy put us off, but the issues returned this summer. Additionally, when we went to change the filter on the unit this year, we found that they had left NO room to put a filter in - therefore the only filter in the whole system is on the basement return (we have small returns in almost every room upstairs, but no filters on them as they are standard vent size at about 8x14").

The owner of the HVAC company came out in June and proposed a fix to raise/reorient the coil so the "dead zone" was out of the airflow and supposedly causing the freezing up issues. This move will also give space to slide in a filter. He says he will send his #2 out to do the work to make sure it has been done right.

I'm wondering if this fix (assuming the guy ever comes out) sounds appropriate. If he doesn't, would any other HVAC contractor be willing to come out and fix this mess? We are also considering DIYing custom sized air filters for the upstairs small air returns using this method: https://simplyfrugallifestyle.blogspot.com/2012/01/making-your-own-reusable-furnace-filter.html?fbclid=IwAR1lcIUy3aVOVaAy-wz6iJkZzsOnMpPNEIWJVD1DNsVQ44yyzMADHG3doMo

Obviously it was a mistake to go with this guy, but I was heavily pregnant with a recently unemployed husband at the time, and was hoping for the best.

Thoughts, comments, and questions welcome.

Comments (8)