SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jplee3

Multiple issues (HVAC, vents, attic and pests) prioritization?

jplee3
3 years ago

Hey all

So this all started from a 'simple' request with my father in-law asking that we help him with getting his attic insulation replaced (they live in the LA area and want to take advantage of the LADWP rebate for money back on installation of new attic insulation). The home they live in is a single family single story home built in 1964 and is 1771sq feet. My father in-law has also been complaining about trouble breathing - we don't know if this is related to the air quality in the home or not but he thinks it is (this may just be psychological).

We scheduled a local insulation contractor to come out to inspect/assess and get a quote. In addition to the insulation he made a number of observations that he shared with us:

1) attic insulation is fairly dirty - old pieces of wood laying around from prior roof work (they had their roof replaced in 2016), dust, some rodent droppings (not a lot) toward garage. Per the contractor, all this may affect air quality (which is something my FIL has been complaining of)

2) missing insulation coverage in some areas - he can simply just blow in insulation to supplement what's there but it won't address the other issue of actually cleaning things up in the attic.

3) range hood isn't venting to roof (t-top flasher needs to be installed - I don't know if this was always this way *prior* to the re-roofing or if it was and the roofing company missed it. If the latter, is the roofing company supposed to come back out to address this on their dime?). The contractor mentioned he can run venting up to and connect to the t-top flashing but he won't install the flashing itself due to not wanting to invalidate the warranty on the roof work.

4) bathroom (i think for both their bathrooms) fans/ventilation not connected or exiting to gable vents -- the contractor is able to do this venting for at least one of the bathrooms, and it won't invalidate the roof warranty since the venting is exiting the side

5) Observed that the HVAC ducting is corrugated ducting and pointed out that it *may* contain asbestos. Some sections are disconnected, torn or holes in it --> should get HVAC contractor inspect and replace or repair

6) recessed lighting fixtures are non-insulation contact so he can't put insulation over those fixtures and has to leave a 3" gap around the hole where the lighting is. This would reduce the energy efficiency

7) one gable vent screen is torn, which he can repair/replace

If money weren't an issue, I'm sure they'd want to address all of these things in a heartbeat. They're recently retired and have a tight budget however. I'm not sure what it would cost to address all or most of the issues above but it seems like it could get real expensive real quick.

Any suggestions or feedback on how to go about this? Should I purchase one of those handheld air quality monitors off Amazon? Or mold and asbestos testing kits? Regarding the pests, my FIL doesn't think they're around anymore (he laid out traps but never caught any) - would it be a good idea still to have a pest control company come out to assess though?

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville