SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skibby_gw

I need help with a Library/gift situation please

I have a situation that I’m hoping you can help me with. I received what I thought was a gift from the leader of my book group. After reading one the books assigned I had voiced admiration for it and remarked that I was trying to find my own copy of it. This man is responsible for securing the books for our group. He presented me with a copy and told me to keep it. A few months later I got an email from the Library saying the book was due and to please return it. The book I received is a different copy than the one I read for the group. I called and told them it was a mistake, that I had already turned in my book. A month later I received another notice. Called again. They said they’d take care of it. Now I’m wondering whether this is really belongs to them. The last two times I returned books there I asked if I had anything else outstanding and was told no. I feel terrible about this. Looked over the copy I have now. It has an ID stamp from a library out of state with the bar code crossed out and a “discard” stamp in it. No Date Stamp form in the back. A sticker from ThriftBooks which I take to be a bookstore/outlet. So it looks to me as if this belonged to a library at one time, was discarded and picked up by a bookbuyer who then turned around and sold it. If this really doesn’t belong to me of course it needs to be returned. I was very confident that this was a gift – and clarified with the giver in fact. This isn’t worth the aggravation of worrying about it and it would be easier to try to find my own copy to buy. Is this an active book in circulation? Do libraries ever buy from outlets and then put them on the shelves? I really don’t know what to make of all this but am feeling rather sick about it. Any help would be welcome.

Comments (9)