SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rococogurl

Need your help with this gift, please

rococogurl
17 years ago

Hi all,

I need some ideas for a very special gift.

Here's the backstory.

I became friendly with a woman in school. We had one class together and then a second one. She had done me a huge favor and ordered something for me, where she works, at a very advantageous price. I took her to lunch to say thank you.

She's about 35 and a career person. At lunch she confided that she and her DH were adopting a child, but no a baby, an older child.

I was nearly in tears as she told me the little girl's story. She is being adopted out of foster care and had been removed from her parents' home due to neglect and abuse. Not severe abuse but she had seen the parents having sex etc.

She's 10 and so cute and just wants a nice mom and dad. As you'd imagine she's had some trouble in school and with her socialization.

This classmate of mine is both the bravest and the kindest person. I feel she's doing God's work in adopting this child as so many would think she might have too many problems and want a baby. But she's also a very soft spoken, calm and deliberate person who is just the type of mom to provide stability for such a child. The little girl moved in last week.

I'd like to send a gift for the little girl but I have no idea about what to buy for a 10 year old. She's a tad on the chubby side and I'd like to stay away from clothing and send something a bit more serious for her.

So Cup and some of you other moms out there who know what might appeal, please make some suggestions? TIA.

Comments (17)