SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Gifted old plant. Help please

User
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

This plant was gifted to me from DH’s elderly grandma. It’s some type of begonia. Angel wing? Silver Angel wing? Cane begonia? All the same perhaps?

It needs some tlc. What should be my first step? MIL says it’s old. She said she always remembers it. It was sitting in his grandma’s kitchen window. Her house is warmer and I just brought it to my air conditioned home. The leaves are limp and wilty. I don’t know when soil was changed last. It’s dry around outside and wet in the center. It obviously is a plant that needs staked.

Sounds like propagating you need 4 or so joints and can use the water method until it gets roots. When I propagate my pothos I cut each leave around the nod, put nodes in water then when they get roots put a whole bunch in a pot so the plant starts out full. Can I do the same thing here?

I read a few places where it said to cut old canes back to the soil and newer ones 6 nodes from the soil? That seems brutal.

I originally wasn’t sure I wanted another plant (have 12 now) and I don’t know if I can give it the light requirements to thrive so my MIL is she would take some. So I need to divide. (Pretty sure she said she has a plant from this one so I think she was trying to be nice since I wasn’t sure I wanted a large plant.)

Help! I want to keep it alive and thriving.

eta Newer leaver seem stronger and larger. Ones close to soil more delicate, small and not many.

Comments (21)