SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
srb2398061

Did you stay or leave when you remodeled your kitchen?

Anglophilia
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Have you seen today's Wall Street Journal article about this <https://www.wsj.com/articles/homeowners-sing-the-praises-of-living-through-a-redo-but-contractors-sometimes-beg-to-differ-11570028497?mod=hp_major_pos5>;? I found it interesting that contractors actually charge more money if one stays - one is charged for daily "clean-up". Apparently, cleaning up after oneself when doing remodeling is no longer part of the "job description". My first carpenter, Rudy Sugar, must be tossing in his grave! He would NEVER have left without cleaning up, whether or not I was there!

I have lived in the house through all but the floor refinishing - had to move out for the sanding/staining/polyurethane. The dust would have killed me during the sanding. No, it was not easy but we had no choice - we had multiple animals and could never have found a rental, nor could we have afforded one.

I organized my kitchen remodeling due to my KD's willingness to allow me to subcontract some of the work in advance of his demo/installation. I knew what i could endure at my age and it was not weeks/months without a kitchen. Sink/disposal/DW were disconnected on Mon, demo began and everything was back in place for sink/disposal/DW to be hooked up again Thurs AM first thing.

But I did not move any walls, nor did I move plumbing - only thing moved was the refrigerator and moving the water to the ice maker took about 20 minutes as I have a basement and it was only moving about 4 feet.

I was also gobsmacked at the cost of the remodel pictures. Yes, there was a little work on the breakfast area and the laundry room, but clearly the bulk of the work was the kitchen. $350,000 for it all! I guess I really did get a bargain with mine costing $28,500. Of course, I re-used countertops, appliances, had already done the lighting and I re-used sink/faucet and had the hardwood floors already, as well. It would most likely have been around $50,000-$60,000 if I had not had things I could re-use.

As beautiful as the kitchen pictures is, I don't think it functions very well. There is very little space on either side of the stove, prep will be done at some distance from it or else standing at the end of the island. It's a long way from the stove to the ovens if what one is putting in to bake, starts on the stove, and many things do. All that money and it doesn't really work. I think this happens a LOT! Probably neither the owner or the KD actually cook!

What did you do? How did you survive? Did you pay extra?

Comments (24)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm