SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
feathers11

Funeral thank-you's etiquette

Feathers11
4 years ago

If anyone has a moment to look through my reasoning here and tell me if it's off, I'd appreciate it.

My father passed this summer, and I'm in charge of thank-you's for his memorials. The funeral home is collecting memorial donations and will be providing a list. My questions relate to other protocol, particularly my employer for whom I do contract work. Here are the situations:

1. I missed about 5 days of work, rather unexpectedly, during an important period on the work calendar. My supervisor was so gracious, and she arranged for a colleague (who I've never met) to pick up my slack. I have already sent each of them a heartfelt thank-you of my appreciation for their support.

2. The organization sent to me (directly) a large floral display. The card was from the president, board of trustees, etc. In my position, I have not met any of these people. I'm sure my supervisor forwarded notice of my dad's passing to the appropriate person in charge of sending out condolences. In my aforementioned note to her, I thanked her and the organization for the lovely display. ... Should I also send a thank-you to the president, thanking her and the board, etc.? I'm waiting for the memorial donation list from the funeral home and if a donation was made, of course I'll send one. But for the flowers themselves, should I err on the side of acknowledging, even if only an assistant ever reads my note?

3. I received a sympathy card from this organization's HR department, with whom I've never had direct contact. However, it contains hand-written lovely messages from a dozen or so employees in that department. I plan on sending the department a thank-you.

I'm aware of general etiquette guidelines. In my line of work, though, I don't usually share personal events. In this case, it was required because I had to inform my supervisor why I was missing work during a crucial period for the organization.

Comments (5)