SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fleshbits

Why won't things line up?

fleshbits
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I don't understand how come I keep getting jacked up angles when I attach the last side of a simple wooden box frame. I am not handy! Please teach me what I am doing wrong!

I cut some 1x4s to 48.5 inches exactly and measured them afterward to verify

I cut some 1x4s to 51.5 inches exactly and measure them afterward to verify

I then cut some 2x2s to exactly 3 feet.

I laid two of the 2x2s down on the foor in the y direction

I laid two of the smaller 1x4s, both being the same length, down on top of them in the x direction. one at far z and one at near z.

I thusly, made one side of my box frame. I repeated for the opposite side of my box frame.

I then stood those up side by side and pondered how I can connect two more 1x4s to create a 3rd side. I leaned them against a couple trash cans so that they would stand up on their own. I put a couple bricks at their base to keep them in alignment. I then inched them bit by bit with my foot until the sides of the two longer 1x4s lined up with the outside of the 2x2 + 1x4 edge that I was connecting it to.

Thusly, I created another side.

When I went to do the previous step with the last side, it was obvious to me that things were not lined up. I don't understand how this is possible when all my wood was cut at the correct measurements.

I don't understand how I always end up like this. I really want to build basic things like a box frame that I can chicken wire, to keep rabbits out of my raised garden. I guess I missed learning basics in my childhood or something. Help!

See how my final side appears to be off, like the whole thing is twisted or something.

Comments (5)