SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mhog_gw

Kohler Command 20- Power Loss/Won't Throttle Up

mhog
13 years ago

I have 1992 Toro Proline Groundsmaster 120 52" mower with a Kohler Command 20 engine. Although I am not a engine guru, I have meticulously maintained this mower and it has around 1000hours. Any here is why I am looking for help

Last fall on the second to last cut for the year my mower just decided it wouldn't run at full throttle after a short break in mowing. Basically it was running fine when I went in to take a break but when I came back out, it started fine but simply wouldn't go at full throttle when I moved the throttle lever forward. It sounded like it was idled up but just not where it needed to be. I decided to drive it for a bit and then all of the sudden it kicked in and was fine for the rest of the mowing.

Fast forward to the last cut of the season. It started fine once again but would not run at full throttle again and no matter what I did, I could not get it to throttle up. I checked the linkage and it seems fine, though I am not exactly sure what to look for. I do have all manuals and parts list, which should be helpful. Anyway, I don't know if it an electrical issue or mechanical and am hoping someone might be willing and patient to try and help.

Not sure if this is worth mentioning but about 1 week before I started having the problem, I sprayed Fluid Film (non conductive) in about every orifice that looks like it could use some lubrication. Don't know if this may caused any sort of electrical contact problem.

If someone is willing to help I was able to clean a spot in my garage to work on it this winter and hopefully get it going before spring.

As thing are right now I have drained all fuel and will be getting a new fuel filter this week. From all the post on this site it sounds like I should be focusing on fuel issues such as cleaning the carb, making sure the lines are not clogged, check fuel etc..

Sound like a plan? Any suggestions?

Comments (10)