SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jpswede

Poulan Chainsaw Won't Start

JPSwede
9 years ago

I have a 2 year old Poulan 4620AVX chainsaw that slowly died while I was cutting a tree down so I thought it had run out of gas. Unfortunately not. That was a week ago and I have yet to get it to even "turn over" once, aka "pop".

When I pull on the starter rope, there is no backlash if you know what I mean. It just spins. There is resistance, just no solid resistance like it's ever going to "kick" in. Again, the resistance just feels the same from the beginning of the pull to the end.

It is getting spark and gas so does the problem sound like a timing issue for some reason? It will also not pop once even with a little carb cleaner sprayed down the carb or spark plug hole with or without the choke on or off.

I also took off the muffler and the carb and used the carb cleaner and it still wouldn't even pop once.

The new plug is also slightly wet after using the carb cleaner and I've verified it is getting a spark at least when it's out of the saw so it's not the kill switch either.

I've checked for scratches on the piston and I didn't see any. I also did a thumb test for compression and it seems like it has good compression - at least it felt the same as my other identical saw. But I guess I should get it accurately checked soon.

And the only thing I haven't checked at all is the flywheel and any timing issues. An ideas on what to check/how to check that?

Thanks for any/all help!

Comments (31)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!