SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamaandsage

GC for most part of project but not extras like fireplace, doors?

mamaandsage
4 years ago

We are gutting kitchen, taking out the soffit, a wall, a pony wall and adding an island where there was none. We are adding a window in a block house, will do flooring throughout the house and get a new door to garage. We are contemplating taking out beehive fireplace because it's so large for the space and replacing it with electric if we feel we find one that looks like a real flame, or maybe propane. Need windows, sliding glass door, front door. At what point do I hire out and work directly with another company in hopes that it would save costs? I even know an electrician who I thought could do some work and he said to tell GC that I want to work with my electrician, but I don't want to step on toes or cause the GC to not take our job if he thinks we're not allowing him to do enough or getting in his way since we haven't signed on yet.

Flooring, for example, was bid at $15k with GC, although he said the # is on high end, but when I called flooring store seems like I might be able to find something I like for 1/2 price or less. I don't have the actual price, yet, as it was an initial estimate, but never having used a GC before it's confusing to understand the mark-ups...

Generally speaking, which jobs might be hired out separately? Flooring, doors, backsplash if I know a good tile guy already... Thanks!

Comments (3)