SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hoosier_nan

Suffering from daylily deprivation

I just want to see some daylilies instead of all the ratty leaves and brown scapes. Bob went out and found some flowers to photograph. I think rebloom is the lowest we have ever seen it.

I think this is the last flower on Sears Tower, which is a tall one.

All of the rest are seedlings, not necessarily anything to write home about but they are daylilies. Most of these are blooming for the first time.

This is Apache War Dance X Carrots Forever, which are both late blooming daylilies.

Blessings in a Backpack X Ramming Speed

I was hoping for some teeth on Lady Stephanie Victoria Redding X Man Eating Bat.

I was hoping for teeth on this one too. This is Weasel Teeth X (Bodacious Bite X Crimson Stories).

The next two are my daughter's seedlings. These are on plants that are about 6 months old. The seeds were planted starting at the end of January.

Possible Side Effects X Snidely Whiplash

This flower is not much now, but I think it shows some promise when the plant matures. It is a Totally Hooked seedling X Unknown. The seed came from John Kulpa, who is hybridizing some of the toothiest ones on the market today.

That's all for today. I am going out to scrounge for some more tomorrow (if it doesn't rain).

Nancy

Comments (14)

• Julia WV (6b)
    4 years ago

Lovely color on Possible Side Effects X Snidely Whiplash. We are having storms here today so no garden clean up. Not a lot of brown foliage here yet but plenty of dead scapes or scapes that no longer have blooms. .

Julia

• Brad KY 6b
    4 years ago

I too like the color on Possible Side Effects X Snidely Whiplash . We are expecting storms tonight and the next 2 days. The cold front is going to get stuck right over KY. A good thing!

Brad

• Related Discussions

Suffering from daylily deprivation

Q

Comments (3)
    Look like Grandpa Ott's to me. I don't have those, but there are some pinks and purples that got planted some years back that come up like weeds here, too, every year since. Wish the Heavenly Blues would do that! Alex
    ...See More

First bloomers for you in 2017

Q

Comments (24)
    Wow--lots of great new flowers! Here are mine: Joan Derifield. Had a great first year. Elegant Candy North Wind Dancer Spiritual Corridor Spoken In Parables Stealth Bomber Sugar Magnolia Westbourne Good Old Days Webster's Pink Wonder String Bikini Being new, some did well but some not so good. String Bikini only had a few flowers deep in the foliage. More in the comments.
    ...See More

Favorite first time bloomers this season

Q

Comments (46)
    So hard to pick 3, but here goes #1 must be Bengali, I got 2 fans last fall, each fan bloomed, every bloom absolutely perfect, at least to my eyes. I could go out at 6 a.m. and the bloom be open and looking so nice. In person, the bloom is darker than my camera shows Claudine's Charm would be #2. I could have wished for more blooms, but the ones it had were beauties Jerry Hyatt arrived this spring, so I was pleased that it bloomed. It didn't have a lot of blooms, but I was so impressed
    ...See More

Best Pinks of the Season 2018

Q

Comments (81)
    There are no photo posts from me; I'm guessing they disappeared or never posted correctly, as I did comment above on all of yours. Wind Frills awesome as usual. A bit short this and last year, so I divided them. Chance Encounter did extremely well in spite of being split last year. Becky Lynn, a great performer almost every year. Runners up next post.
    ...See More
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il
    4 years ago

It’s great to see some more of your seedlings! Not many Daylily blooms here. It will be interesting to see how the Totally Hooked seedling looks next season.

Sherry

• signet_gw(6b)
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Interesting post . It makes me wonder . You mention you were hoping for some teeth on

Lady Stephanie Victoria Redding X Man Eating Bat and Weasel Teeth X (Bodacious Bite X Crimson Stories) and there appear to be none on either . So does that mean that teeth are a recessive trait ? Curious minds want to know .

I quite like the seedling Totally Hooked seedling X Unknown even thought the sepals are a bit blotchy ......and I am astounded that it is only 6 months old and already blooming ??? Why does it take my seedlings 2 years from seed to bloom? What are you doing differently ? What am I doing wrong ?

• Brad KY 6b
    4 years ago

Good question, Heather. My seedlings take 3 years, one took 4.

Brad

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Brad, when you say that your seedlings take 3 years, do you mean from the time you pollinate the flower to the first bloom or from germination to first bloom?

I keep all my seeds in the refrigerator until late January the following year before I start them. I get most of the them to bloom the following year if I get them in the ground early enough. Even if we get the seedlings transplanted into the ground late (August-September--bad news for us because they often heave) we still quite a bit of bloom the next season.

Sometimes, if I get them in the ground very early (they were planted in June this season), I get a few blooms that same season. This year we have seen about 5 out of the 1400 seedlings we planted. The blooms generally are not very nice that first season. So essentially, most seedlings flower from germination to first bloom in one year.

I don't know how you do your seedlings, but we plant each seed in an individual cell in a large tray. That way, there is minimal disturbance of the roots when we transplant them. Also, we don't give haircuts to the seedlings. We abuse our seedlings terribly, though. We let weeds grow up. You would be surprised how many weeds can grow up in the slits we made in the landscape fabric for the seedlings to be planted. We do water when it gets dry, but once they are transplanted into the field, they get no fertilizer (they do when in the pots--weekly application of miracle grow).

Signet, I am guessing that the difference between our growing conditions is that you have a shorter growing season even though our zones are similar. The zones are based on average low temperatures, but it doesn't take into count the length of the growing season. We were talking to Dave Mussar about this (he's in Ontario, for those of you who don't know him). His growing season is much shorter than ours. Our average last frost is some time in May where ours is about April 20 and our average first killing frost is about October 20. That month or so can make a lot of difference.

Also, teeth are recessive from what I am told by the experts. With tetraploids, of course, you are dealing with four sets of chromosomes, so it can get pretty complicated. I am assuming that you would need at least 3 teeth genes to show teeth on the flower.

Nancy

• Nancy 6b
    4 years ago

They all look really good to me, I have far fewer plants than you do. I am liking that last seedling, I wonder how it will look next year. I have few with teeth, but none that really look so "toothy". I did get Totally Hooked last spring, mat have to spread some of that pollen around next year.

• Nancy 6b
    4 years ago

I just day your post, some years I direct seed in the ground in spring. Other years I start like you in January in individual trays, which I did this year. Those I planted this year half may bloom next year, the rest not for another year after that. I don't weed them well, and don't set out in fabric, so they do have a struggle.

• signet_gw(6b)
    4 years ago

Hoosier_Nan, Dave Mussar lives a couple of hours away from me and in a north east trajectory near a town called Guelph .. He is at least one zone colder than me. This chart shows his zone .http://planthardiness.gc.ca/ph_main.pl?m=22&lang=en&prov=Ontario&val=G

Closest place to me is a place called Glencoe and it has had its zone changed from a zone 6a to a zone 6 b in the last number of years I am about 10 minutes away from this location . . This chart shows my zone . http://planthardiness.gc.ca/ph_main.pl?m=22&lang=en&prov=Ontario&val=G so I doubt our growing season here is any different from yours. Our latest frost can be even into November.

May I ask what town are you located near ? I would like to visualize on a map just how much difference on latitudinal lines you are from me if you don't mind . If you want you can message me that info if you dont want to put it out here in the forum if you are willing .I don't believe our growing conditions are very different at all.

Original Author
    4 years ago

You must be warmer in the winter than we are. We are in zone 6a, but we often switch back to 5b depending on the winter weather trends. It's weird since you are so much farther north than we are. I think we underestimate the effect being near a large body of water has on the temperatures.

We drive through that area on the way to the Can-Am meeting every year and have noticed that spring comes later to you than it does for us. We start out here with the trees leafing out and the further north we go, the barer the trees. I guess I just assumed fall would come earlier for you too.

We are in Terre Haute, Indiana. If you ask Bob, he would say southern Indiana, but I say west central Indiana. It is amazing how different the locations are in terms of daylily season. We are members of the Hoosier Daylily Society, which meets in Indianapolis. That is about 70 miles to the east of us, but slightly north too. We are always ahead of the members who live in Indy.

When we went on the Northern Mecca tours this summer, the folks in Ohio were behind us, especially Bob Faulkner, who really didn't have much in bloom. Jamie Gossard to the east on the west side of Columbus had lots in bloom. I guess there really is something to the idea of microclimates.

• Brad KY 6b
    4 years ago

Nancy, it is 3 years from germination. If I plant one now, 3 summers from now 2022. I plant directly into the ground. I have absolutely no where else, no basement or garage.

Brad

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I'd say you had some interesting seedlings going here. Color wise the first one (Apache War Dance x) is my favorite. I like the orange reds quite a bit. Also, since I don't hybridize I miss out on some of the people that do. I've never heard of John Kulpa, but saw some of his daylilies on the Southern Michigan Society website. Does he have his own website? I don't see him on Charlotte's rather extensive list of hybridizers.....Do you find teeth easier to hybridize then ruffles or chicken fat up north? Just curious................Maryl

Original Author
    4 years ago

Maryl, from what I understand John Kulpa hybridizes on a small city lot. I don't believe he lines out his seedlings for sale so they are a little hard to get. He does not have a website. He is very generous with his seeds. He often gives seeds away especially to new hybridizers. We gave us some of his seeds two years ago and the rest we bought at the Shirley Farmer meeting. I believe he donated them to the group that runs the meeting. They usually have a silent auction set up in the back of the room.

When John's intros come up on the Lily Auction (sold by other people, not usually by him), they tend to go for a high price.

As far a chicken fat and ruffles go, we don't intentionally hybridize for them. We love ruffles and when they show up, that's great. I would say teeth are probably easier to hybridize for than chicken fat because you have so many great dormant toothies to work with. Forestlake Ragamuffin, the granddaddy of so many toothy lines is a hard dormant as are most of the Klehms. Ruffled Strawberry Parfait is a great parent for toothies. Plus so many of the producers of toothy daylilies are from our general area--Gossard and Polston to name two. A lot of the chicken fat ones are southern and don't usually show as much chicken fat up here. Everybody raves about a seedling called Kaskel's Best Edge, but we haven't gotten much from it.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    4 years ago

Thank you Nancy for all the information. There aren't that many with actual chicken fat aka bubbled edges as just plain ruffles and although I'm seeing more ruffles (and lots more teeth) from up north, I think the southerners were the kings of the chicken fat. Don't see much more of it anymore on new intros. I think it may be because they are so hard to open properly - more so then with just ruffles......... Mr. Kulpa, from what I saw on the Michigan Daylily site, has some nice looking full figured faces in his hybrids. Don't know about stats of course. I hope you have great success with his seeds when you can get them from him. I don't want to hybridize nor grow seeds. I leave that to the pros like you and Debra and others......P.S. I hope you happen upon a stray Krakatoa Katie next year lurking in someones garden. I thought it looked like a very nice yellow double.......Maryl