What's for Dinner? #372

Jasdip

Is it okay for me to start the WFD? I never have before! I just hope my pic turns out well enough to be worthy of the honour.

Sleeve, those combo cookers are one the most popular/used ones on the Cast Iron group I belong to. They have so many uses, having 2 parts to work with.

I just finished my breakfast, a hash. I finished the last of my potatoes that I cooked, along with peppers and onions, cheese and 2 eggs. Very filling. This is the remaining half.

SaveComment100Like5
Comments (100)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

2 Likes Save    
neely

Oh just Yum you two, lobster roll and potatoes, onions and cheese.

We had a Christmas in winter meal. Roast turkey with stuffing balls, cranberry sauce and gravy.

Then leftovers the following night.

Leftovers aren’t as good as the real thing but acceptable and no clearing up or dishes. This was a frozen turkey breast and turned out nice and moist. I love the taste of turkey.

2 Likes Save    
Jasdip

Your turkey breast looks delectable, Neely. I love the crisp brown skin. That whole meal looks delicious and it's hot and humid here.

Save    
2ManyDiversions

Oh my, already such good looking meals! Jasdip, if it's got potatoes, if it's got an egg on top, and if it's in a cast iron skillet... well heck yeah start the thread! Is that an easy over egg? If so, be still my heart : ) BTW, I had to go back to the previous thread to catch up, and it was pretty difficult getting past the NY strip steak and mushrooms! I love, love, love the rock. Isn't it something : )

Sleevendog, I see the gi-enormous claw meat. That's just crazy big. Some people get to eat far too much lobster, IMHO. (huge smile!) Sleeve, I am so sorry about your cast irons! You use more bacon for the weaves... I'll need to remember that. Thought ours was a bit on the skimpy side. Sure glad you showed that again. I love your spice cabinet! Why would you wish it counter depth? I kinda like that mine is shallow (about 6") so that I don't loose spices to the back. Decocolor! Yes, that's it!!! Thank you so much for remembering. On my amazon list now : ) Your garden frittata (on the previous thread) looks like a Van Gogh painting. Not even kidding. I want to both eat it and hang it. Thanks for the corn fritter recipe link, that looks wonderful!

Neely, I'm sure you might not have been feeling the humor at the time, but your bechamel sauce story cracked me up! I've had a few good chuckles thinking about that! Like Jasdip, it's hot here too, but I really want that dinner! Nothing like turkey and the works!

We had a simple salmon on mashed potatoes with basil pesto, and I found some home baked cheese bread hiding in the freezer so buttered and heated it, along with orange and minted glazed carrots - all but the potatoes were thanks to cleaning out the freezer. Oh, and the lemon.

3rd Photos for Uploading · More Info

Found some ground bison, finally! Bison burgers on the grill (organic, the bison, not the grill), with our favorite 3-bean bake (and I will just say, this is a dish that has Velveeta in it, there are not other subs for us, and that's just that!). Thought the bison tasted very meaty and sweet, too. I loved it.

Ok, this looks so unappetizing, but it's pinto beans cooked first, then added to quick browned Canadian Bacon (Annie's recipe, also found in the freezer! The canadian bacon, not the recipe or Annie), along with kale, onion, and cooked in chicken stock. For a very long time. Annie, Elery's rule that you can never cook beans too long ruled the day here (any kind of bean!). Kale at the store was not great and should have had twice that amount, but still it was good. I made a flavorless cole slaw (yuck), and artisan bread... which I totally ruined, thus whole wheat store bought with some garlic on it, toasted.

So, the garden is coming along slowly... but it's coming. The part that has a roof over it (for chicken wire) is 10 ft. deep x 18 ft. long. Beside that is just the chicken wire gated smaller area, which will not be covered on top. It's 10 ft. deep x 9 ft. long. Gate at the open part, and chicken wire door at the fully enclosed one. Flat rocks to be stacked around the board (not there yet) at the bottom. All screwed to the board at the bottom (which kinda acts like a raised bed type board, keeping soil in), can be replaced. Chicken wire on the sides will be in frames, also screwed for easy repair on down the years. A bit fancy for a veg garden, but it'll tie into the rest of the yard when we get it all done. And keep the birds and critters away.

I'd hoped to plant hard-neck garlic (which I'll do anyway), carrots, broccoli, and bussel sprouts this falll for this winter, but life just keeps happening, so doubtful. Old rags (it's hot here) hanging on some posts. I will wait to post another after it's mostly finished. It's sturdy.

2 Likes Save    
Jasdip

I just gotta say, I'm sitting here bustin' a gut at your commentary 2MD. Yes, make sure you explain everything........the Canadian bacon, not Annie in the freezer, etc etc!!!!

Gosh how you can keep your sense of humour with a year's worth (almost) of hard labour, hits and misses is amazing. Love you dearly! :-D

Save    
Jasdip

Looking thru my to-try binder I stumbled upon this. It sounded good, and it sure is!

A Cook's County recipe. Chicken breast, garlic, cherry tomatoes, olives (I used capers), feta and mint. The cherry tomatoes and climbing beans are out of the landlord's garden. I have a cherry tomato plant with tomatoes on it, but they aren't ripening.

1 Like Save    
dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m

2MD, that is a very publishable water feature in your garden. Very impressed!

dcarch

SV roasted pork on garden vegetables for dinner.

1 Like Save    
annie1992

OK, I'm trying again. Last night I tried to post and everything just disappeared into the parallel universe that is Houzz. (sigh)

Jasdip, for me, you win. That hash looks like everything I love on a plate. I miss potatoes, I think, more than anything.

Sleevendog, you do that on purpose, don't you? You know lobster here is a purchase that requires a second mortgage? And now I want some.....

2many, that's a lovely water garden, and I'm happy to know that there will be a garden, no matter the size. I'm also happy to know that I'm not in your freezer, regardless of the presence of bison, LOL. I'm also glad to know that you subscribe to Elery's perspective on beans, because that's how I like them too!

Neely, that looks amazing, and I still have a turkey in the freezer, maybe I should make a "school is starting, let's celebrate" dinner...

Dcarch, I finally got the first few ripe tomatoes, such lovely bright colors and yours looks perfectly ripe. Elery would appreciate your okra too.

I resurrected my old Canon Elph while I'm learning my new camera, which is very unlike my last camera. (sigh) I wish they'd just leave them the same, geez....

So, what's for dinner? It's not dinner, but for breakfast one morning I had avocado toast with a slice of fresh tomato and an over easy egg. It's the low carb fake bread, but everything else about that plate was good!

Last night's dinner was venison tacos with fresh tomatoes and some fat free sour cream on toasted corn tortillas, with a side green beans and a salad of fresh corn with edamame and grated carrots, dressed with an extremely tart vinagrette. I'd do the salad again, but with a different dressing...

Elery made some Italian sausage with venison and pork and we had that on low carb buns with some honey mustard:

I made some beet hummus:

A carrot cake for the retirement of our Township Clerk, with the Princess helping me decorate:

Some fresh tomatoes, finally:

I'm sure there are more, but I can't remember, LOL.

Annie

Save    
Jasdip

You're Baaaaaaaackk!!!!

1 Like Save    

And I was about to post this...recipe for batter please. : )

Save    
annie1992

AnnT, I'm so happy to see you, and I just happen to have peaches too! What a good day!

Annie

1 Like Save    
2ManyDiversions

Jasdip, trust me, I’ve had my crying fits, my anger fits (those are short, I don’t do angry), and my frustration fits. Eh, it’s self-imposed, so I can’t really be upset! I’ve always been pretty bubbly, no matter what : ) BTW, over a year now. Argh! Your chicken looks like something I’d devour. I love capers, feta, and tomatoes… I bet that made such a good sauce on top.

dcarch, you sure made me feel really, really good : ) Thank you so much! Still working on plantings, and figure in another 3 years I might get it all as I’d like. The little pond is so relaxing. I wanted edible flowers because of your use of them and platings, and when the nasturtiums didn’t come up I was sick. Then I realized many my other flowers were also edible : ) Still have yet to use any in plating, just too tired of late. Your SV roasted pork looks delicious. I’m such a fan of a good char, and that’s perfect. Your tomatoes look wonderful too.

dcarch, annie, AnnT, do you have a favorite red and a favorite yellow tomato you grow? Or anyone, really? I found a purple I like and now have the seeds saved (Cherokee Purple). I wonder if Cherokee Carbons are similar? I just googled, and apparently they are, but beefsteaks : )

Annie, houzz has been playing with me too. I’m guessing it’s because you have your own hens, but your egg, it’s lovely! You know I’m an egg on toast person too… I’d give anything to be able to have chickens like you and artemis_ma. Do you also grow edamame? I can’t get it here at the stores. I’m serious! Your venison taco dinner looks very tasty, but it’s the green beans, edamame, and those gorgeous tomatoes that have my heart.

AnnT, I already spazzed on another thread, so I’ll contain my happiness. Nope, can’t do it : ) So thrilled to see you!!!! Keeping fingers and toes crossed you are able to stay. I pulled some artisan dough out of the freezer, let it rest in the fridge for 3 days (to perfection), and ruined it. I was so tired I shouldn’t have tried. I proofed it on the (new) small stone that fits my (new) CSO (which I looooove, thank you!). Yes, I did that. Then I (go ahead, shake your head at my dumbness), started the oven and didn’t let it pre-heat, but put the stuck-to-the stone dough into it right away. As I said, I’m too tired to try anything that requires half a brain cell. It was pretty unsightly. I adore the way you plated your shortcakes! How do you get everything to always look so perfect and mouthwateringly scrumptious? Your pork schnitzel looks incredibly appealing to me. Kind words from you, but I'm not cooking up to par yet. Someday : )

Ok, what’s inside that gorgeous batter? Somebody tell! Please : )

Meatloaf, DH's fried 'taters, haricot verts. I took the end piece. Nothing special, but we've missed so many 'nothing special' meals that it was special : )

Save    
Louiseab Ibbotson

2Manydiversions, those beans with velveta? Have I missed something? Sounds like something that might be popular at a cookout.

Save    
Andie

I found a purple I like and now have the seeds saved (Cherokee Purple). I wonder if Cherokee Carbons are similar? I just googled, and apparently they are, but beefsteaks : )

I find Cherokee Carbon to be much more prolific than Cherokee Purple in my garden. So much so that I've stopped growing CP. I also grow Indian Stripe.

Save    
Jasdip

Annie, I hadn't thought of tomato slice and poached egg. But seeing it I'll have to try that!

2MD, please tell your DH that I'm so impressed and envious of his fried potatoes. They look scrumptious, perfectly done.

Tomorrow we're supposed to have a break from hot, humid weather. I'm sick of summer, especially since I'm not a summer person anyway. C'mon October!

A salad plate hit the spot for tonight's dinner. Very tasty.

I bought some more peaches, and I'm disappointed again. They're from the farmer's market, right from Niagara Region which is the peach (and cherry) capital of Ontario.They're nice and big which is nice, juicy, but not sweet. Red Havens, so at least they're free-stone.

That won't deter me from making the Peach salsa though. It'll be the third batch that I've made. It's somewhat addictive ;-)

1 Like Save    
annie1992

Oh, yum, all those potatoes, just my kind of what's for dinner!!

Jasdip, that salad plate looks fresh and summery, and fall will be here soon enough, so enjoy.

2many, that particular plate had slices of Taxi, seeds that AnnT sent me a long, long time ago and I have grown them ever since. I like them very much and they'll actually grow here in our short growing season. I also like Golden Jubilee, which is a neon orange, and Great White, a creamy colored beefsteak type. The red is my old standby, Rutgers, I plant them for canning because I get a bunch at once. For taste, though, my all time favorite is Mortgage Lifter, although it is pink and not red.

The Cherokee family doesn't do well for me, I get a couple of tomatoes and then they are done. I've not tried the Carbon, maybe that'll be next year. I do have a mystery dark tomato this year, and it's good, but the package of seeds said "Chocolate Cherry" and it most definitely is not a cherry type of anything. It's good, though, so I'll probably save seeds and grow it again. I'm also growing Prudens Purple this year as a new type, so we'll see how those do.

Annie

Save    
AnnT

Annie, the Cherokee Carbons have been really growing well and producing lots of tomatoes.

Last year we planted siletz tomato which we really liked. Would have planted them again this year but couldn't find them.

Last night's dinner.

A shared platter of grilled baby back ribs and homemade fries. Served with TBQ sauce.

And for dessert, I baked a Peach Tart with brown sugar and made a puff pastry crust.

1 Like Save    
2ManyDiversions

Thanks to those who contributed to my ‘mater questions, and any more comments welcome! Looks like I might try the Cherokee Carbons instead as they seem to be more prolific, and I’ll have enough room for only 2 plants each (6 total). Wanted 2 purple, 2 yellow and 2 red. I’ve read about Mortgage Lifters, Annie, so am thinking those will be on the list as my reds, though they are pink, but then again the Siletz also seem like something I’d like and use. I’ll have to check what might grow best in our area. I love yellow tomatoes for fried tomatoes for some reason. Discovered this a few years ago. And barely ripe. They hold texture better when battered and fried. Do the Mortgage Lifters or Siletz make a nice Tomato Juice, or nice canning tomato? Anyone have a favorite cherry tomato?

Ok, that got a laugh out of me Jasdip! I can pass your message along to DH, but I call them ‘his’ because he likes them so much! He can’t find a pan, let alone cook in one! First time on the induction, new pan, so for once I didn’t mess something up! I got to the part about the peach salsa being addictive (warned ya!) when I scrolled enough to see your salad. Hot and muggy here too, and that salad would hit the spot tonight. I’ve lettuce and eggs, so not happening.

Oh Ann. Those ribs. Those fries. I’m gawking right now and can’t seem to stop. Smoker tube, too, I assume : ) I recognize the TBQ sauce. I can practically taste it all. Reminds me, I’ve got 2 racks in the freezer, but way too hot here to attempt. Even mornings are muggy. Gorgeous peach tart. I’m about 99 percent certain we are sisters and I need to visit for a year or three. I’ll work for food : )

Just popping in, fast food hot dogs, onion rings, last night. Not horrible.

Louiseab, yep, Velveeta : ) I’m happy to share the recipe! It’s incredibly simple. You might do as I did and think, naw, that can’t be all that great, but truthfully, one taste is all it takes, and you are hooked. I’ve never taken these to a gathering and brought back leftovers, and they are requested time and again. I make the full recipe for the 2 of us, freeze leftovers as they are our favorite side for burgers. Recipe came from Oklahoma relatives:

3 Bean Bake:

Ingredients:

• 16 oz can Butter Beans, mostly drained
  • 15 can Kidney beans, mostly drained
  • 28 oz large can Bush’s baked beans, do not drain
  • ½ lb. bacon, diced (8 slices, uncooked)
  • ¼ lb. Velveeta Cheese (4 oz), chopped into small cubes
  • 1/3 cup sugar

Directions:

1. Mix all in large casserole and bake at 300° for 2 hours, stir every 20-30 minutes. May need to cover the last 1 hour to 30 minutes or the butter beans will dry out.

Notes: I used to have to cover mine after an hour (and still stir every 30 minutes) but the new oven didn’t dry them at all.

Save    
Jasdip

Gosh Ann your ribs and fries are killing me! I'd fly to BC just for that.

2MD, how do you like your induction stove??? I mentioned on that older thread about them that my portable cycles on and off, which to me is a little weird, why can't it stay on at a steady temperature. The full size stoves don't do that.

But at least this one (we had 2 at one time believe it or not) has enough temperature options that my cast iron and ceramic skillets don't over-heat on level 1. This one I can set any type of temperature or wattage, which is nice. I sold the other one, hubby used to use it for cooking outside on the balcony.

Oh, okay, so YOUR potatoes are perfectly done!!! LOL

Save    
2ManyDiversions

Ha ha! Thank you : ) I love the induction, Jasdip. I had originally wanted gas. Initially the one I had was a 17 year old, if memory serves, coil top, but I'd used gas eons ago and loved it. One can cook on anything, IMHO, but I'm quite grateful for the induction, and glad we went that route rather than gas as it's so easy to keep clean. As you know : )

It's taken some trial and error - still going through that. I'm the queen of spillovers (setting a saucepan on high, boiling the contents over even as I lift it up off the burners just as the boil reaches the saucepan rim). Have not done it once on the induction. Turn it to a lower setting and immediately boiling stops. The other thing I love is how the temperature doesn't fluctuate at all. Used to set my temp and have to keep checking it for a while at first. No more. Set and almost forget. I do all prep ahead (had read I needed to as heat-up was fast). On occasion, on the higher settings, I hear a slight buzz - not irritating, but somewhat audible. My cookware is Cuisinart, mostly the tri-ply. Then the buzz just goes away after a little bit. The one we got is a Bosch, and it has no knobs on the cooktop, which also makes it easier to clean - and use. And there are 17 heat increments, plus the speed boost, which is a faster boil. If I'm cooking something else on high heat, and choose the speed boost, it won't come on, but the highest setting is almost as fast. You're right, the full size don't cycle on and off.

I was kind of expecting good response, easy temp settings, and fast heat-ups. And I was more than impressed from the get-go. What I didn't expect were all the little things. The burners will get somewhat hot from heat transferring from the bottom of a pan to the glass, and when you turn it off it'll read "H", and as it cools down to warm, it reads "h". Ha! If you transfer a pan to an empty burner, the little "h" will come on. Silly to think that cool, but I do : ) I did get a Teppanyaki pan to cook on that fits the cooktop, and use that more than anything thus far. Of course, I haven't unpacked (can't find it yet!) my cast iron.. which is why I wish you'd quite posting all those amazing CI meals! LOL! I'll probably try the newspaper or parchment paper on the cooktop at some point to see what that's like.

Well, I'm blathering, but I'll add this: All my appliances were pretty ancient - and they all worked well. The new ones amaze me at all the new conveniences and, as I said, little things. The butter holder in the fridge has a magnet on the flip up door - no matter how hard I pull the door open, butter or margarine does not fall to the floor anymore! Again, I'm a bit silly about this, but I think it's just another fantastic thing out of numerous little things!

Did you not think you'd use the 2nd to cook outside, yourself? I hope this doesn't cause you pain: I remember you posting a pic sometime back of cooking on your cast iron out on the balcony, and I also remember thinking that was such a clever idea.

ETA: I keep typing your name in short as 'Jas' but then I remember what it stands for, and think, well, that won't do! LOL!

Save    
Jasdip

2Many, by all means call me Jas! Most of the crew at the Kitchen Table call me that. Never mind the acronym! LOLOL

I love how the little things make you (and me laugh). The H and h is a hoot!!

My stainless cookware is all Cuisinart and I absolutely love it!! When I was appliance shopping for my frig I took a friend along, and she'd never heard of induction. I explained to her, and sent her the pic of the boiling water and a paper towel. She was shocked. It's great to have it when cooking bacon.

Hahahhaa, the reason I post so many pics here of cast iron, is that I also post my meals on the CI Facebook group. Oh dear, how sad when one's life centers around posting pics in cooking groups! But may that as it be, how else would I have friends such as the ones here??

I do miss hubby telling me to make sure I take pics of the meals to post on the Cooking Forum. :-) He was all for it!

I take this one out on the balcony when necessary. One of the hot days I felt like making soup for the freezer, I don't know what brought that on, but I wasn't going to do it inside.

2 Likes Save    
2ManyDiversions

Ok, then, Jas... (that just doesn't seem right, but I won't think of the acronym anymore!)... The reason you made soup on a hot day was because you said to yourself, Self, what if I get The Crud and have no soup? (which would be very smart of you) Or, Self, what if it turns unexpectedly ice-cold in a week (yeah, right) and I need some warm soup to keep from freezing? (which would just be just weird of you) Or maybe you were in the mood ; ) I make soup when it's hot. Sometimes... LOL! Seriously, though, I like to make soup (chicken noodle and veg soup) well ahead of winter in case DH or I get sick. DH sure as heck isn't going to make it for me! DH could care less if I took pics or not. Most things just don't occur to him.

Well, I feel incredibly dumb! Reminds me of the first time I had a dishwasher... I was hand-washing dishes, talking on the phone to my Mom when she said, Hon, don't forget you have a dishwasher now. I'd been hand-washing for 2 or 3 weeks! This is why I feel like a dummy: "I explained to her, and sent her the pic of the boiling water and a paper towel. She was shocked. It's great to have it when cooking bacon." - and your photo! So, guess who's been making lots of BLT's (coz their easy and fast when one is tired) and who's been cooking bacon every Saturday on her new induction... and guess who hasn't used paper towels, newspaper, or parchment paper??? Guess who's been wiping and wiping and wiping up bacon grease? Gawd. I'm soooo stupid. I think I need a nap, the kind Rip Van Winkle took. Yeah, 20 years outta do me just fine : ) LOL!

And may I add, I loooove that table! You don't leave it outside do you?!

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

Tonight's dinner consisted of fried potatoes and onions. As I'm eating every single potato that I cooked, I again though that I could never do Keto. I love carbs, and really love potatoes.

Annie, I know you can't eat them on your meal plans, I feel so bad for you. Like you, I feel there's no such thing as a bad potato. I'll eat them any which way.

I also cooked some tenders and brushed them with barbecue sauce.

Last week was my birthday and my step-father took me out to dinner. The veggies were these frozen beans and baby carrots. I really enjoyed them, they were wonderful.

I bought some today, wondering why I have never bought them before. I'm not one for the 'baby' carrots, we all know they're not baby carrots at all, and they're pretty tasteless. but they fit well with the beans.

Pssst, 2MD, that table sits outside all the time. Rain, snow, sun, everything mother nature wants to throw at it.

Save    
2ManyDiversions

"that table sits outside all the time. Rain, snow, sun, everything mother nature wants to throw at it." I'm coming by to save it! LOL! Clearly, it doesn't seem to mind one bit : ) Jasdip! Your chicken and potatoes look very good, and I agree, I'm a starch-a-holic. Annie, we all feel for you. FWIW, I also like the green bean, carrots, and whatever else is in the package (usually peas) medley : )

Ann, (I'm just so happy you're still here, I even checked late last night, and again this morning, and also told DH you were 'here'.) Where was I? Oh, yes, your sesame ahi tuna looks delicious and gorgeous... I've never eaten fresh tuna (go ahead, you can laugh!). I've seen it at the grocery, so someday! BTW, I've seen your potatoes, we all have. They are always spot-on perfection.

Made some plain white bread today, only 2 loaves as not enough flour for more. I'm looking forward to egg easy over on homemade bread toast Saturday! DH will be happily surprised, and the scent of baked bread is lovely. Been over a year. Ann, that CSO (yes, I finally have it!) does make the best toast! I've used it far more than the new oven... as you knew I would : ) Thank you for recommending it. I've also got a single recipe of your artisan bread/pizza dough autolyzing right now. Only on the 3rd, and it's rather hydrated so will take the full 6 turns I'm thinking. I hope to experiment (that's what I'm calling it now) with the CSO in a couple days or so.

Save    
neely

So many good looking meals that I want to eat.

Lovely to see AnnT back. I have certainly missed seeing your wonderful cooking and photos.

I brought half a sliced Peking duck home one day after a shopping expedition near one of our Chinatown areas. We had it just with our rice and the veg and pancakes the shop provided. Can’t go wrong with duck and rice.

We only occasionally share a bottle of wine and this time I used half a bottle of a very nice Pinot to make Coq au Vin the traditional way. All washed down with the other half of the bottle.

Save    
Jasdip

Cooler temperatures today so I was able to make some bread. I finished the last of my bread yesterday with bruschetta. My lovely landlords hang bags of tomatoes and pole beans from my door-knob regularly :-)

The bread isn't picture-worthy, but I know they'll taste good!

Neely, I don't eat duck and have never ordered it at a Chinese restaurant, but yours does look good.

Ann, so good to see your bread and pizzas again!!!!

I made a fresh tomato sauce with the tomatoes.....just garlic, olive oil and simmered chopped tomatoes until it's a nice thick sauce then dumped cooked pasta into it. Added feta cheese and chopped fresh basil.

Only when I took the empty bowl into the kitchen to wash, I realized I forgot about you guys!!! I forgot to take a pic! I'm still drinking my wine, would you like to see a pic of that? LOL

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

Beautiful summer day today, sunny, comfortable temps (23C or early 70'sF).

Pat and I went to breakfast in her convertible, then drove to the park and saw the swans.

I made a meatloaf in the Cuisinart countertop oven (Ann and 2MD have the CSO.....the Cuisinart Steam Oven, mine is a CO). Hubby and I deemed that oven the best investment we'd made, I've seldom turned on the big oven for 2 years now. I highly recommend it, and sing its praises as often as I can :-)

Anyway, meatloaf, boiled potatoes, fresh beans and tomatoes from the landlords.

Hmmmm the meatloaf looks too well-done and dried up as anything, but in real life, it wasn't at all LOL

BTW, the last few days Houzz has been acting up for me posting pics. If anyone makes a post and it doesn't show up, just refresh it and it will show.

1 Like Save    
annie1992

Happy Anniversary, AnnT! Your post reminds me that I have a rutabaga in the refrigerator and I do like it a lot. I need to do something with that...

Neely, I do like duck, I even raised them one year, and I have some left in the freezer, I need to do something besides make cassoulet, I think.

Jasdip, Elery reminds me to take pictures for the Cooking Forum too. And that's my favorite kind of sauce, one that actually tastes like tomatoes. Nice of your landlord to keep you supplied...

2many, the Mortgage Lifters are find for canning, they are meaty and don't have a lot of seeds, I mix all my tomatoes together and can them all, or make tomato sauce, or whatever. Right now my "selection" is a mix of Golden Jubilee, Great White, Mortgage Lifter, Hillbilly, Pineapple, Garden Peach and Rutgers. They're all going to go in the pot together for a big batch of Chase's chile sauce, the kids love the stuff in sloppy joes.

So I've spent the last two days mostly working in the garden, trying to get it back under control after a summer of visitors. It was wonderful to have everyone here, but my garden suffered, so I weeded leeks and onions, peppers and cabbages, sprinkled deer repellent on the broccoli since they've gotten it all and I've gotten none this year, picked and froze sweet corn and gave the stalks to the cows, picked all the tomatoes and a 5 gallon bucket of green beans, which Elery and I snapped tonight and I'll be canning those first thing in the morning. Then it's back to the garden for one last "project", which is weeding the rest of the tomatoes and the golden beets, then I'll be caught up. I have a pan of "Christmas" pickles sitting, they'll be ready for jars tomorrow too.

What's for dinner? Fresh tomato sandwiches and tomato/zucchini gratin, which was left from last night. Last night it was pork chops, that gratin and fresh corn. We're eating fresh vegetables as fast as we can and there's such a choice that it's hard to even decide what we want, the garden has finally come into full production, although it's late. The gratin isn't pretty, it looks like a big pile of glop, but it was good, full of fresh tomatoes and zucchini and onions and garlic fresh from the garden. The pork chop was.....well....a pork chop. (shrug)

I guess I took the picture before I put the corn on my plate, but this is what my counter looked like:

Elery made hash for breakfast with turnips in place of potatoes and the rest of the corned venison. AnnT's bread would have made lovely toast, I think...

So that's breakfast AND dinner. Gotta go check my canner...

Annie

1 Like Save    
2ManyDiversions

Neely, I’ve had duck once (Toronto, as a child). Loved it. Sure wish I could find it here. Yours looks delicious – lucky you to have someplace that has it! I’ve not made Coq au Vin in ages. That looks so good.

AnnT, Happy Anniversary!!! BTW, I resurrected an old thread ; ) As always, your boules look perfect, and Matt’s pizza looks especially good. As Jasdip said, it’s always a good day when we see your breads! I’ve some of your dough now in the freezer, ready for a pizza when the weather turns cooler… and when DH remembers to pick up more propane! That bloomin’ onion looks fantastic! I’ve never made one but would sure like to. Between you and Neely, the rack of lamb is sure making me hungry for it! Wish I could find it here. Yours is done to a T. Gorgeous plating, too. May I ask, how do you make your roasted potatoes in the CSO? They are always picture perfect. Might sound like a silly question, but I’d sure like to know : )

LOL Jas! But it sure sounds good (your pasta) : ) I forget to take photos too. Sometimes on purpose ; ) You know, when it looks a fright but tastes good! And I completely understand about meatloaf. Somehow it never photographs as well as it tastes, but meatloaf is a favorite for us. Something about meatloaf, and of course one must have potatoes with it… it’s just good food! Those tomatoes look perfectly ripe and tasty. Nice landlord! I never had a toaster oven until about 7 years ago. And that was my Mom’s ancient one. Couldn’t live without one since. Hers had a big gap in it, so the heat really escaped it. The Cuisinart is the exact same size, and I use it constantly too.

Annie, thank you for the tomato comments and advice. I just can’t wait to plant and harvest! Oh, your corn!!!! I stared at that for a good while this morning! I can just taste the sweetness. Oh you made me laugh with the ‘glop’ comment, but again, I think we all get it – some things don’t photograph well, but they taste sooo good! Your porkchop does look good. I always can’t wait to get on the computer to look at the bigger pic’s of your eggs. They just always look luscious – that yellow-yellow yolk. Found some free-range eggs at the store… then grabbed the wrong ones! Next time…

Our garden is coming along – again, I’ll post pics when it’s mostly done. I’m hoping to get carrots, broccoli, garlic, leeks, scallions, and maybe some brussel sprouts planted in a couple weeks (seeds, so they might not take off in time). I’ve been told winter carrots, broccoli are good here. Hope I’ve time to care for them. If not, there’s next year.

Ann, our kitchen is done ‘enough’ to cook in, but the rest of the house and certain things in the kitchen are taking time. I’m pretty much over it, but so happy with the results thus far. I think DH and I are rather picky! We’ve also done a lot of work on our suburban yard, and it continues. When I’ve finished unpacking and the furniture is moved back in, I’ll post a pic of our kitchen, finished or not. But we can’t unpack until other things are done. Stacks of ‘stuff’ on kitchen countertops, and I still have room to prep and cook : ) Just wish I weren’t so tired all the time and I look forward to some spare time once in while!

We worked in the yard Saturday, mostly upkeep that had been neglected. Sunday I was again up and down on the ladder, painting, caulking… but not all day as I did some cooking.

Baked our first white bread in... seems like forever! Shared half with the fellow who's helping with the garden. I've got a mean case of sun-poisoning to show for the outdoor work, too.

Yep, finally! Easy over eggs on homemade toast. Aaaah. Still can't slice bread evenly! Ha! Saturday morning started out right : )

Made some boules with Ann's artisan dough. Despite all efforts to screw them up, they were good. I posted crumb shots on Ann's thread which I resurrected.

Saturday I was exhausted, so meatloaf, french beans, and those potatoes heated up. Boules, toasted, was the star of the meal, so I'm posting the pic!

Sunday we had buttermilk pancakes. Been too long on those too. So happy to eat home cooking.

In the afternoon during a break I sliced up some bread that escaped us just for home-made croutons, another thing I've been hungry for. Popped a warm one in DH's mouth as he was sanding - his smile said it all.

Steak Frites Sunday night. Convection baking is beyond me still, but figured the fries would work, and they were the best I've made thus far. New York Strip with garlic/thyme compound butter. Croutons on the salad. I put too much dressing on that salads as I was distracted watching the cat play with her little soccer ball - her rubber tipped nails sound like mini tap shoes on the RamBoard which currently covers our floor.

Let the steaks sear a bit long, but they still came out fine. Looking forward to cooler weather and grilling!

For dessert I made mango and fresh orange juice sorbet. Very refreshing.

I'm sorry if I sound like I'm bragging on my own cooking. But honestly, it tastes so good to us after all the burgers we've eaten. I know my friends here understand : )

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

Brag away!!! Don't apologize for a minute! This is the best group where we can sing our own praises when we particularly like a meal that we've made.

And you, if anyone (well, Annie too, as she's a workaholic), deserves to brag and enjoy her own cooking.

Your meals look fantabulous, 2MD. Everything is perfectly done.

Happy Anniversary Ann!

Annie, you making a ratatouille reminded me that I've made Ruthanna's Capanota several times during the summers. Hubby and I just loved it. I'd buy eggplant at the market just for that purpose. I still have trouble downsizing my cooking to 1 person, and I don't know if I can make a smaller version of it, but I should attempt it.

Save    
Compumom11

It's such a delight to read and catch up with my friends here! 2MD, please, please post photos-- even progress ones-- inquiring minds would love to see them! I'm sure that after all that time without a kitchen you're ready to make all of your favorites and new recipes gleaned during this long remodel. I was really interested in your induction descriptions. I'm not remodeling anytime soon, but you've peaked my interest! Your garden looks amazing!

Jasdip, lovely to see you cooking for yourself. There's some tasty looking meals pictured.

AnnT -- always lovely meals and I'm so jealous of your ability to metabolize carbs!

Annie, ah yes, diet meals, but you're so much better at it than I am. I'll have to try and remember the trick of using turnips for homefries! I wish I could try your zucchini tomato gratin. Sadly DH won't eat zucc's and I can't eat the onions and garlic. Sigh...

I've been cooking but not much to note-- I did make DH the Honey Lemon Cottage Cheese pancakes that LPink shared awhile back. I add fresh blueberries to the batter. It gives DH more protein with his carbs and he likes the lighter pancake. I halve the recipe and freeze the remainders for other mornings.

Sorry if I missed mentioning more friends, but happy to pop in and see so much good cooking!

Honey-Lemon Cottage Cheese Pancakes

Cottage cheese makes these lemon pancakes remarkably tender. Flip with care since the extra moisture in the batter makes the pancake recipe delicate.

• Makes: 4 servings
  • Serving Size: 4 pancakes each
  • Makes: 16 pancakes
  • Prep: 30 mins

Ingredients

Directions

1. In a large bowl stir to combine eggs, cottage cheese, honey, butter, vanilla, and zest. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir just until moistened. (Batter should be slightly lumpy).
  2. Pour about 1/4 cup batter onto a hot, lightly greased griddle or heavy skillet. Cook over medium about 2 minutes; flip when top is bubbly and edges are slightly dry. Cook an additional 2 minutes or until both sides are brown. Keep warm in a 200 degrees F oven while cooking remaining pancakes. Serve warm with butter, maple syrup and/or berries.
1 Like Save    
2ManyDiversions

I've just saved that recipe! Thank you for that Compumom : ) It sounds quite good - lemon zest and blueberries - and light. DH hates cottage cheese, but I put it in his egg bites for work breakfasts (to-go breakfasts) and he never knows a thing... ha ha! I like that it uses honey too. Yep, I love that induction! Mom had a glass radiant heat cooktop and she was not fond of it. This is totally different... except it does had a glass cooktop. Me too! I love looking at prep photos (and other photos, including those that have nothing to do with food). Sleevendog takes very enticing prep pics. It's just kinda nice to see the process, even if you already know, it, right?!

Burger King last night. I ran late with so much to do. Not tonight, and hopefully not the rest of the week.

Not surprisingly, I just got back my lab work, and like DH's, it's improved already since we started eating home cooking. Prior, I gained weight, but was anemic. I felt like that fella who ate McDonald's as a test and had to quite because of his blood tests. Morgan Spurlock, I think.

2 Likes Save    
Jasdip

I have a home-made pancake recipe that uses sour cream. I also make them using kefir, but buttermilk could be subbed as well. I love home-made! Your recipe looks delightful, Compumom. It's so nice to see you!!!

In the interest of conserving skillets to wash I did my fried potatoes, onions and peppers in one. The leftover meat-loaf is in the microwave :-)

2 Likes Save    
annie1992

Ellen, I really feel for you about those onions, I think I put them in nearly everything, I can't imagine trying to cook without onions. I'm saving that pancake recipe too, I know I already have it somewhere, but who the heck knows where? You just made it easy, and I know it has to be healthier than my usual recipe...

2many, I'm happy to see you cooking! That bread looks amazing, as I said in the resurrected thread, and your steak is just right, I love a rare steak. And, as far as I'm concerned, you can never go wrong with a soft egg and homemade toast, yum.

Jasdip, I'm all about saving myself time washing dishes, and I can almost smell those onions and peppers here.

So, what's for dinner? I'm still busy canning, just did 20 pints of Chase's chile sauce, and so supper was refried beans on low carb tortilla shells, with lots of fresh tomatoes. Elery had some fat free sour cream on his, but the beans were enough for me.

I have the big Nesco roaster full of soup bones simmering for stock, they'll cook all night and I'll can that tomorrow and give myself some more freezer room. Soup bones are such odd shapes and take up so much room, so I needed to get that done. Both cats and the dog are sitting and watching that roaster, LOL.

Annie

1 Like Save    
2ManyDiversions

I gotta say Jasdip, there's no better way to cook potatoes than with onions and green peppers : ) My computer speakers don't have smell-o-vision (wouldn't be 'vision' would it? Uh, olfactory sensors or something along those lines), but I could still smell that heavenly aroma!

Annie, I know you must be exhausted from prep and canning, but I sure am envious! My goodness! I'd have loved refried beans... I think I could eat them almost every night. We don't, but I could, so your dinner sounds perfect to me! I had one of those 'duh' moments reading your post. Canning stock. Duh. Didn't even think of that! When I get a PC, that'll be one of the first things I can! DH said 'canning is dangerous' and I said, not for me, I'm careful and will learn just as I've learned other things. The man is using several saws now, and he's worried about me using a pressure cooker? Hmph. ; )

Ann, I'll say this several times, I'm sure, but it is so wonderful to see your cooking : ) The breading on your halibut is so light and delicately crispy looking, and the halibut looks so moist. I've not fried fries in a while... I think several years. Just baked. I hope to find my fryer and do it again someday - double fried, with a freeze in between is my favorite method : ) Yours look exactly how I like them, not too done (which I tend to do) and not too underdone. Yes, I used the Bread setting after I preheated the oven and stone on Bake first : ) Finally put my thinking cap on, ha ha! Saw all that steam, and thought, maybe they'll be saved after all! Can't wait to make that which I don't mess up at first!

Stacked a few stones last evening around the veg garden perimeter... it was far too hot for me, and thank goodness we've got a nice young man doing all the real work! Earlier, the cabinet people were also here, and with so much going on, I was glad to make roasted chicken in the CSO. As usual I put it in breast side down, meaning to flip it up after a bit, and completely forgot! So, this is roasted chicken back, not chicken with nicely roasted breast skin! Still, tender and juicy. Love that CSO! Mashed garlic potatoes along with, but forgot the plated pics. Even managed a reasonable truss this time : )

Save    
neely

WFD is moving fast with lots of good cooking.

We had bought but boutique large raviolis which I served with a poofed meat sauce and a dollop of avocado whizzed up ‘sauce’.

I am so over the moon that I must post a photo of our first grandchild, not yet named, a little boy. Born last Sunday 3.9lbs.

To stay in the topic of cooking, can I say he’s so adorable that I could ‘eat’ him.

Edited to remove photo

2 Likes Save    
2ManyDiversions

Neely! Congratulations to you and the new family!!! What a precious, cherry-cheeked little babe! Look at all that hair, too! He's a sweetheart, and I can see why you're so happy! Such a tiny little fella... I wish all the best for him through his life : )

Your pasta looks good, but yep, your tiny gift is the best : )

Not feeling well last night... takeout. Blech. Rested after, and we enjoyed some coffee gelato with fudge swirl I'd made night before last... (sorry, double posting as it's on the I Scream thread too).

This is my favorite. I combined 2 recipes from 2 cookbooks for this. Lar's Strawberry remains DH's favorite.

Ok, kids! I'm bowing out for maybe a couple weeks again as we've suddenly got a lot to do and are still very behind - and honestly, I need to recoup from a couple things as well (but I'm fine!). When I come back I'll post pics of the garden, which will be done. I'll take any photo-worthy meal pics, and some not photo-worthy, ha! Know that each morning I will be drooling over all the wonderful meals posted, and I'll miss 'talking' with you all!

2 Likes Save    
Andie

Neely, your grandbaby is gorgeous! So much hair on such a little man!

Save    
lizbeth-gardener

Neely: What a sweet baby and so alert and bright eyed!

You must mean 9lbs 3oz??

Save    
neely

Lol lizbeth-gardener ... totally mixed up lbs and kilos ...7.9 lbs or 3.59k. I have first time Grandma confusion.

Thanks to all for your lovely comments. And her ( my dear daughter in law) milk has finally come in and he’s feeding well.

Your coffee gelato looks the bomb 2 many.

Save    
Jasdip

Ann, every time you post your halibut I get the strongest urge for fish and chips. They are our favourite restaurant food, but good ones are hard to come by.

I love 2MD's roast chicken as well, upside down or not.

Annie, I'm so glad you built the huge pantry that you did. Makes me wonder where you put all of the canning in previous years, the basement or cold cellar but it couldn't have been as big as what you have now.

Neely, I too wondered if he was really under 2kg. LOL Congratulations! I see a huge spoiling in the near future.

Save    
foodonastump

Too many great dishes to comment on at this point, but I will say this this thread is full of potatoes that are looking really good, and potatoes is not something I “do” much unless it’s default fries at a restaurant.

And neely, congrats on NYN!!! So exciting.

Whenever sleeven posts lobster I check the circular. I think she gets them at the same chain. Sure enough, on sale. So I decided to go on an all week lobster spree. Like most of my cooking intentions, that didn’t quite work out but I got a few in:

Lobster salad with a cilantro-lime dressing.

We liked the dressing so much that I used it in lobster tacos. The shells were unintentionally flat as my “great idea” for frying them folded didn’t work out and I lost patience.

I was trying to avoid lobster rolls as we’ve had our fill this summer, but when I found myself with lobsters on their second day of crawling around the fridge and me heading to bed, I figured I’d better not press my luck so I cooked them up quickly and picked the meat for next day’s lunch.

That’s it. The next week they were still on sale for a buck more, never got around to buying any, but today I’m waking up to see a new sale at the original price. So I expect to get some more going!

Last night I felt inspired by DC’s BLT.

As mentioned on his thread, the tomatoes were from my MIL. What a difference from the supermarket;I really need to do a better job of sourcing tomatoes!

3 Likes Save    
Jasdip

Wow, FOAS!!

(I'm also trying to figure out the NYN with regards to Neely's grandchild). Can't figure out the acronym

Save    
Solsthumper

NYN = Not Yet Named.

Foas, you're killing it.

WW, good to see you again.

Neely, you have every right, as grandma extraordinaire, to find your grandson delicious!

I checked you IG for photos of him before coming here. And am glad I did. Cuddle him up for us!

Sol

Save    

Neely! So adorable. : ) Congratulations!

A gift so precious and delicious fits so fine in a cooking forum. Anxious to hear the name choice. A couple co-worker friends are expecting and name choices are listed but waiting until the delivery.

FOAS, scanning above I thought the lobster pics were mine. haha. I think it is six weekends now we have had lobster. (three in the fridge for tonight)...we keep thinking the season is slowing down but Fairway market has had them forever at a good price. We never order lobster out. Too expensive and often overcooked/rubbery.

Drop in the steam pot, put on Freddy Mercury's BohemianRhapsody...7 minutes done.

Last Sundays messy leftovers after 4 days of family houseguests...DH went out and picked up lobsters to calm my nerves....

Save    
Compumom11

HELP OFF TOPIC-

What the Heck did Houzz do with the cooking forum? I tried to ask a cooking specific question and the COOKING topic is nowhere to be found. WTH?

Here's my question:

I am still deciding on my menu for tomorrow. Found Prime Tomahawk style steak at Costco on Thursday. i immediately refrigerated it but am unsure if I want to bbq it tomorrow or save for a later date. What would you do? It's not enough for six adults, I have other meats, so I could do a mixed grill. But then again, this is a wonderful meal in itself for 3-4 people. Help me decide!

Save    

The cooking forum is sill here. You got stuck in a gray zone. It happens.

click on the 'cooking' oval icon at the top of this page...

1 Like Save    
Compumom11

I sear it wasn't obvious ANYWHERE when I tried to post a new comment. Even my bookmark takes me to a generalized Houzz discussion board. I HATE THIS!

I'm using Firefox as my browser. Could that be the problem?

Save    
Jasdip

My bookmarks changed to Houzz instead of GardenWeb. When it's Houzz I can't find a darned thing.

When I find the Cooking and other forums, I manually type in Gardenweb, discussions/cooking and bookmark it again.

1 Like Save    

My bookmark icon was taking me to Houzz kitchen or other places. I just reset it.

1 Like Save    

I like a mixed grill. Pleases everyone. A bit of steak, skewered shrimp/scallops. Grilled veggies....or freezer your steak for a later date.

1 Like Save    

Back to cooking.

Friends stopped by last night so we invited to stay for dinner. Easy switch. Lots of weekend choices with such great produce NJ/NY this season.

Watermelon, plum, pickled red onion, feta salad.

Seared salmon, avocado, BLT on pumpernickel.

1 Like Save    
Compumom11

Sleevendog, it looks delicious! I made the tomahawk steak and WOW, what a hit! I also made a small filet that had been languishing in my freezer and a bunch of chicken. I figured that I can freeze or use the chicken for lunches, I like batch cooking. SIdes included corn on the cob and crashed potatoes. I also served a take home carne asada pizza from Calif Pizza Kitchen as an appetizer. FYI They're running a great deal-- if you buy an entree and that's broadly defined, for $5 extra you can choose any pizza to take home. It's ready to bake with instructions included. I don't eat pizza dough but the others raved about it.

One friend brought a fabulous salad and the other gal brought grilled peaches, homemade chocolate sorbet and vanilla ice cream to top the peaches. YUM! Fun and delicious night!

Save    
neely

Thanks to all for best wishes about the little fella.

Hi Sol, saw your lovely comment on IG thanks, but no photo of the little one there. I wouldn’t put his photo on the wild world of IG but it feels safe to share here.

Sleevendog the salmon BLT looks great both eating and photo.

AnnT terrific looking pizzas.

FOAS ( first time I’ve typed that) all your dishes look decidedly delicious.

Compumom11 sounds like you’ve been eating very well.

This was our dinner tonight cooked by DH. Chicken Schnitzel, Brussels and a mixture of onions, red pepper, corn and chilli.

I will stop posting the baby photos eventually but thought I’d squeeze this one in to let you know NYN’d is now named formally Arthur after my father and Artie for everyday use.

Edited to remove photo

2 Likes Save    
Andie

Artie is so beautiful!

Save    

Adorable! Love the name choice. Such curiosity in his eyes. : )

HappyBirthday Ann! Looks amazing and I would also rather cook for myself than go out for dinner.

I've started harvest prep as I do this time every year. Oven roasted hatch chili, tomatillos, misc peppers, garlic. Four packets for the freezer and the fifth in bowl with toasted seeds and nuts, herbs, tahini, lime...going into the blender for a pesto/green sauce.

I pre-heated at 350, then dropped down to 225 uncovered for 4 hours. Slow roasting it stays moist but concentrated. No added liquid needed. Slid out of the roasting pan clean as a whistle. (I always forget from one year to the next...but that's the ticket!).

Maybe 200 in some ovens.

Save    

Excellent green sauce. Recipe called it a pesto but more like a creamy salsa. A dozen cashews and a Tbsp tahini.

Save    
2ManyDiversions

If I start commenting on everyone's (and I mean everyone's) lovely meals, I won't stop... but I had to pop back on to say a couple things:

Ann, Happy Belated Birthday! I wish we lived close by as I'd happily make that meal for your Birthday... if you'd make it for mine : ) That's exactly what I'd want, although truthfully I did have to look up Sterling Silver - none close by but I see they sell quality meat. Problem with my wish is that which I'd make for your Birthday wouldn't be as good as that which you'd make for mine!

Neely, I'm so happy to hear Artie was 7.3 lbs! I was a wee bit concerned : ) I too, think Artie is a wonderful name for him... oh such a sweet little doll!

Save    
dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m

That look on his face is priceless!

dcarch

Photo deleted. Sorry.

That expression on his face in the original photo was what inspired me to emphasize it a little more.

Thank you for your understanding of my uncalled for bad sense of humor.

dcarch

Save    

(Is that a photo shopped manipulation of a forum members pride and joy?) ...not sure I like that. Turning it into an internet joke poster. I know it is not the intention but makes me uncomfortable. I think it should be deleted but that would be neely's choice.

Save    
neely

Thanks Sleevendog for speaking up. I was hurt about the use of what I suppose is an App to change little ones face so his mouth was down turned.

I think dcarch your sentiments were kind ‘’That look on his face is priceless’ and the words slightly amusing but the changing the photo was not funny, I even mentioned I thought I was safe here.

2 Likes Save    

Such a good weekend of food and loved having time in my kitchen ...steak, lobster, stuffed hatch chilis. Lunch Saturday another watermelon salad and hatch/plum corn cake. I've been using my English muffin rings for the melon.

Rained all Monday so I made up some spice blends for our trip. And some to give as gifts for neighbors when we reach our destination.

1 Like Save    

Thank you Neely. I did not think I was over-reacting. You are safe here and if you want to share you could post and delete in 12 hours. (or less). I just had family house guests...adorable 8 month and 4 yr old. I chose not to post photos.

Save    
annie1992

Aw, dang, I'm too late to see the little guy. Oh well, I'm sure he's beautiful. Neely, congratulations, enjoy every minute with him, they get big all too soon.

Happy Belated Birthday, AnnT. As usual, your fish and chips just call to me, they look delicious. On a sad note, GB Russo's has closed, after 115 years in business. (sigh) I guess they just got tired of trying to compete with the on line competition.

Jasdip, my White Cloud house had a basement. Not finished, but with a cement floor and cement block walls, lots and lots of storage, more than I have here, but not nearly as convenient!

FOAS, I feel so badly for you, having to eat all that lobster. Yup, I sure do. (grin)

Compumom, my bookmarks did the same thing and CloudyChristine sent me a message, hers also took her to a general message board. Since I only post to the Cooking Forum and Harvest and avoid all threads that are linked to any of the other forums, I was not amused. A simple search for GardenWeb Cooking Forum led me right back and then I set my bookmarks again. Grrrr. Houzz annoys me.

Sleevendog, your garden dinners look a lot prettier than mine, LOL. Mine are all corn and beans and sliced tomatoes and lots of zucchini in various forms. We're pretty much eating from the garden, so it's vegetables roasted and baked and microwaved and just sliced and eaten. Tonight was zucchini enchiladas again. Elery liked them a lot, although the only resemblance they bore to enchiladas at all was the fact that they had enchilada sauce on them!

2many, I'll miss you, hurry back. Oh, and that pressure canning? Eh, it's simple, I'll be happy to "walk you through it" if you need help. Tell your husband it's much less dangerous than using power tools!

So, what's for dinner? Nothing worth taking a picture of, that's for sure. I'm still canning tomatoes, tomorrow it'll be tomato sauce, and I'll be processing chickens for the freezer in another three weeks, plus I took that job as Township Clerk, so I've been kind of busy....

I'm having a birthday party for Mother this Sunday, she'll be 84, and it's going to actually give me an excuse to bake bread, so I'm happy about that. I'm also making raspberry pie and those gluten free lemon bars for Amanda and my cousin Michelle who is also celiac, plus cupcakes. The Princess is coming over Saturday to help me, she's making cake pops and prepping the fruit for salad and whatever else I can cram into a day!

Annie

2 Likes Save    
Andie

I didn't see what happened, but I don't blame Neely for removing the baby pics. How sad that someone here would do something like that. It's actually more than sad; it's creepy.

2 Likes Save    
neely

Cooking up a storm again Sleevendog and delicious as usual.

Annie you’ll be in your element cooking and baking all that bread and sweet things. Perhaps you’ll get to ‘taste’, and Yes I intend to make the most of the little ones early days, not a newborn for very long and such a special time.

Andie, thanks for your comment... over now and back to cooking photos.

DH baked some Atlantic Cod with tomatoes, garlic, shallots, chilli and pinch saffron and I thought it was delicious. The fish was frozen but I buy it sometimes as a trip down memory lane of the years I lived in England (12) and Cod was my favourite fish and chips.

Save    
Jasdip

Annie, you took on a job??? Are you crazy!! I mean that with all the love in my body. I know you worked for the township as your career, so you're doing that again?

Neely, I just love your photos. You always have the light perfect.

Sleeve, you're eating like a king with you lobster, etc.

Compumom, I've never seen Tomahawk steak here, but I've seen pics on my cast iron cooking group. They're huge! Wish I'd seen yours :-)

I came across a recipe for fresh fruit and simple syrup with lemon and mint. Gave me another way to use up my mint. I love it, but don't know how to use it regularly, and it's growing great. Melissa D'Arabian of 10-Dollar Dinners.

I used strawberries and fresh pears. I like pears that are green and a neighbour had a box out at his driveway for the taking. I used the pears in this and they're crunchy. They'd be good if they were ripe/yellow. The recipe called for strawberries, an orange and a banana, but I didn't have those.

ETA: I had some for dessert and it's really good!! I'm trying to think of other fruit I can use. I don't like the idea of bananas, too mushy, as I can't eat this in one sitting.

I keep frozen strawberries and mango on hand for my water kefir drinks, and that's what I used here. Any other ideas for fruit?

2 Likes Save    
foodonastump

Last day of the sale. This week’s sale, anyway; we’ll see what happens tomorrow morning. Stuffed a couple:

1 Like Save    
bragu_DSM 5

Twp. trustees and the clerk don't have many meetings. Unless there are a lot of fencerow disputes, or bidding for mowing the cemeteries, or doing the annual budget. Great paying job! ... JK

Save    
annie1992

FOAS, if you don't stop that, I'm just going to have to hunt you down. (sigh) It looks amazing.

Jasdip, I worked for the County Prosecuting Attorney as my career, this is just a part time Township Clerk position. I'll have two meeting per month, but I'm in charge of all elections, paying all the bills and employees, making sure payroll taxes get paid quarterly and everyone gets W-2s at the end of the year. I'll have to send out the absentee voter registrations and ballots and draft and publish all the notices, changes to ordinances, etc. The current clerk says it takes her about 10 hours per week when it's not election time, so it's about $10 an hour, but it's definitely not hard work. I'll also have to run for re-election, so does that make me a politician? (grin) Michigan just passed Prop 13, so anyone can get an absentee ballot, no reason necessary, so that will probably up the number of those. I also have to be at my "office" (which is actually my house), The Saturday/Sunday/Monday before an election and the Tuesday of the election for "on the spot" voter registration, something also required by Prop 13. Now people can register to vote up to and on election day, so I think that's a good thing. Heck, I can bake muffins and provide a snack to anyone who will register to vote on those days!

I work from home, only have to go to a couple of meetings a month plus regular "certification" and "continuing education" classes. Heck, I can do minutes, agendas and checks in the middle of the night, while I'm waiting for my canner to finish, which is what I'm doing now. I wouldn't want to get bored, you know. Oh, and Elery is my Deputy, law says I have to have one. He gets paid the magnificent sum of $500 annually. He's already on the Zoning Board and I was Secretary of the Planning Commission. I think this is actually going to be less work than that was. Just in the past couple of years we've had a guy who wanted to build a 50 site rustic campground (approved), a local banker who bought 350 acres and turned it into a hunting preserve for disabled veterans (approved) and wanted a 10 foot fence so he could have elk (couldn't stop that if we wanted to, covered by Michigan's Right to Farm Act), and some fool that wanted to build a para-military training center complete with heli-pad. (denied) Oh, and the ongoing growing/selling marijuana issues while Michigan gets everything figured out on that newly legal recreational marijuana thing. Other than that, it's been pretty boring. (snicker) But I want my Township to stay agricultural and not become some regulated suburb where everyone has to have matching mailboxes, so I figured I'd better get myself involved.

Thanks for the idea on using mint, though. I'm planning a fruit salad for Mother's party on Sunday and I have mint, I never even thought about it. And that part about being crazy? Well, sometimes things get mentioned, but I ignore those voices in my head, hah!

So you are on your Township Board, Bragu? ROFL...

Anyway, what's for dinner? Leftovers, because I'm canning tomato sauce. My dinner plates look like I've become a vegetarian, tonight it was corn, roasted beets, kale and that leftover zucchini "enchilada" stuff. I'm definitely getting my daily servings, but I'll make up for that with turkey and pie for Mother's party!

Annie

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

I'm glad you're able to work at home, Annie. That makes it so much easier. AND that you can see the positive, and do some work while you're waiting for the canning in the middle of the night!!!! LOL

I felt like a hamburger, and to put a tomato slice on it. The landlord brought me 3 more large tomatoes today. I'm getting tomatoe'd out! :-)

Burgers are big, and I thawed out one of my buns. I squished it flat to make it a hamburger bun, but the whole thing is still ginormous. Hamburger juice, mustard, pickle juice, all over my hands and face. Hah, I'm a messy eater, but it was good!

I'm going to have more of the strawberry fruit salad for dessert to put 'something' healthy into my meal!

Save    
Jasdip

So unusual for me! I don't have a sweet tooth but while browsing thru some to-try recipes I had collected I came across Nigella Lawson's Emergency Brownies.

They're perfect for when you have an urge for something quick but don't want to make a whole pan. 2-4 servings, depending on the size :-)

Stupidly, I thought it was a 7x4 loaf pan, but it was a shallow 7x4x2 aluminum foil pan, so it looks lost in my cast iron loaf pan. But it can be made in anything, really.

They're really good!

When your chocolate need is urgent, this is the perfect small-batch brownie recipe just for you. I always have a stash of takeout aluminum foil pans, which are just the right size for these.

Technique tip: Allow the brownies to cool for 20-30 minutes before eating, so they are still warm, but have had a chance to set.

Ingredients

• 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/4 cup light brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon maple or light corn syrup
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt flakes or 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
  • 1 large egg, at room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup walnut pieces
  • 1/4 cup chocolate chips

1. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease a 7- by 4 by 2-inch pan.

2. Put the butter, sugar, and maple or light corn syrup into a small heavy-based saucepan and gently warm, stirring once or twice, until the butter is melted and the sugar has dissolved. Remove the pan from the heat.

3. Whisk together the flour, cocoa and salt to mix, then beat into the butter and sugar pan with a wooden spoon or spatula until smoothly combined.

4. In a small bowl, whisk the egg with the vanilla then stir into the pan, giving a final little whisk, if needed, to make sure everything's mixed together thoroughly. Then fold in the nuts and chocolate chips.

5. Pour and scrape this nubbly brownie batter into the prepared baking pan. Bake in the oven for 15–20 minutes until it is beginning to come away at the sides and the top has dried a little just around the edges.

6. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool. I leave them for 20–30 minutes (and that's difficult enough) so that my first bite gets them while they're still warm, but just set enough to cut into squares.

1 Like Save    
AnnT

Thanks for the birthday wishes.

Neely, I did get to see the picture of Artie. What a beautiful little boy. I'm sorry that you felt you had to remove the photo. I hope you will continue to post pictures as he grows. Many of us here have watched Annie's grandchildren grow up and no one has ever had a problem. Didn't see the other photo. So can't comment on that.

Annie, makes me sad that Russo's has closed. I have many fond memories of Russo's from when we lived in GR.

Sleevendog, beautiful photos of your salads. So colourful.

Don't be gone long 2ManyDiversions. You are already missed.

Annie, why am I not surprised that you are now into politics in your spare time.:)

FOAS, I wish lobster was on sale here. You have given me a craving.

Made Cindy's Etouffee for my neighbour. We were celebrating Clif's retirement and the Etouffee has been a favourite of his since the first time I made it for him.

A few recent meals.

Roasted a chicken specifically to have Hot Chicken Sandwiches.

with double fried fries.

Been eating a lot of caprese salads. Still picking tomatoes every day.

This one with homemade focaccia.

And this one with Capocollo and Genoa salami, and olives.

Save    
Jasdip

Ann, I made a shrimp etouffee last year and we both loved it.

I had the urge for stir-fry vegetables and breaded pork chops, so that's what I had.

That and a glass of wine on the tv tray, settled in to watch the Sons of Anarchy!

Save    
Jasdip

I defrosted the freezer a couple of days ago and took out some drumsticks. I have LOTS of them. I can't resist buying them when they're .99/lb. I have to hold myself back now.

Anyway, I found a recipe that called for grilling them then coating them with honey, mustard, some cider vinegar and chopped thyme (I used rosemary).

As usual, I lost most of the skin on the bottom of the skillet, even though I used my cast iron, Oh, I didn't grill them, I wanted to brown them in the skillet and then coat with the sauce.

Regardless they were good, just not pretty.

Save    
neely

That meal above Jasdip looks both healthy and tasty.

Love your Caprese salads AnnT, we’re looking forward to homegrown tomato season.

Your lobster FOAS is making my mouth water.

WFD has been very haphazard around here lately with all the visits to the baby. Takeaways and bought frozen pies, dim sims etc not very healthy or inspiring.

There was a get together with all the grandparents plus uncles and aunts, to which I took quite a lot of food... but forgot to photograph. However, I did take a photo of these pies I made the night before.

Blackberry and cherry. The blackberry was the favourite as it was slightly tart/sour because I didn’t add any sugar and people liked it that way. As I was in a rush I just sprinkled cornflour/cornstarch? over the fruit to thicken the juices and Hooray it worked. Also just sprinkled ground almonds over the bottom to stop getting a soggy bottom and that worked as well. Bought pastry ... short crust on the bottom and puff on the top. So easy, I had trouble accepting people saying how nice they were.

1 Like Save    
neely

I’ve just discovered I can’t edit at the moment when I tried to fix up the spacing and was going to add that the pies were served with a dollop of double cream.

Save    

I've missed a bunch with work and a family visit.

Pie looks amazing. Have not had a burger since the early Spring. (some junk ones at work). ...had to try the impossible. Nothing compares to lobster so we indulged 'straight up' since I re-used the freezer bag for baguette and had no split-top. (bag labeled 'lobster roll'). I had already made a small 1/4 cup of sauce so we just dipped. With potatoes and corn on the cob. We have never been a fan of the butter bath on lobster or steak.

We can get live lobster year round but with the sale and the 10 dollars off 50 the sale cost it was a no brainer to indulge. This week it was mozzarella.

(ten off 50 is a text message sale nearly every week.) Had a caprese salad with garden tomatoes and froze the rest for pizza.

Did not pic much...just salads and light meals of mixed grain, bean, seafood. Pickles.

Rat tail radish pickles. Horrid. Fresh they tasted like damp saw dust. Pickled they tasted like wet spiced saw dust. (thought they might be similar to okra). The only recent 'fail'.

Save    
Jasdip

Fabulous pies Neely.

Sleeve, sauteed radishes are getting more and more popular, I haven't tried them, have you?

Last night's meal was a meatball sub with sauteed onions and peppers

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

Turkeys on sale for .99/lb this week. I bought the smallest one they had. Geez, the drumstick didn't look that ugly on the plate LOL.

1 Like Save    

Garden/fridge frittata. Prepping/packing for a road trip...using up/cleaning the fridge.

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

Your frittata looks wonderful, Sleeve!! I like the idea of a bottom layer of sliced potatoes. I made one once, and it called for cubed potatoes, I didn't really care for the potato in it. I'm sure it's not a necessity though.

Save    
neely

Yes Sleevendog it makes sense and taste to have sliced potatoes on the bottom of a frittata. Good looking salads and I’m not even going to mention the lobster as I am too envious.

Jasdip your meals always look tasty and I love how you try new things.

Meals still very haphazard around here. DH is getting a lot of the meals. I’ve been minding the baby for a few hours during the mornings so that DDILaw can get a few hours sleep. She was so happy when we started doing this. Artie is coming up to 4 weeks old and together they have got his feeding going pretty well.

I did make some blood orange marmalade using the oranges from our tree. Thanks to Annie for all her canning tips as this time I did the boil in a pot sterilise so I can keep the jars on the shelf rather than in the fridge. It’s funny how a comment from awhile ago sticks in the brain. Thanks to Annie mentioning she once folded a small towel to put in the bottom of the pot when she didn’t have a rack to fit. I did this and it worked fine.

All the wonderful canning you do Annie must be like a full time job at certain times of the year.

1 Like Save    
annie1992

Everything looks so good. Jasdip, I like turkey a lot, but doesn't go on sale here until closer to our Thanksgiving, which is in November.

Neely, that jam is beautiful and looks delicious, I love marmalade with those chewy bits of peel, yum. That towel trick works pretty well to keep the jars from sitting right on the bottom of the pot, but I remember trying to keep it from floating to the top until I could get the jars on it, LOL.

I'm glad you are getting to spend a couple of hours with the little guy, and I'm sure Mom is enjoying that well deserved nap time.

Here we're eating, but nothing worth taking a picture of or talking about. I'm nearly done canning, I'm down to peaches, greens and apples, I think!

Annie

1 Like Save    
HU-474531087

I'm just catching up after a busy couple of weeks. DD and family relocated across the country to the Atlanta area. I was recruited to babysit-- with the grands who are 12 and almost 15! we ate out and cooked in. They're boring eaters so mostly steak, salmon and pizza for them! We did have some good meals in restaurants.
THere's just too much to comment on here- but have to say to Annie, where do you find the energy and stamina to do all of this? You're such a good citizen!

1 Like Save    
HU-474531087

WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED TO MY SCREEN NAME?? This is COMPUMOM11

sheesh!

2 Likes Save    
annie1992

LOL, Compumom, I THOUGHT that was you, and then I hesitated....

Right now, I'm tired, does that count? Elery's middle son and two oldest kids will be here tomorrow, we are processing chickens. Yeah, we'll teach them to think farming is fun. (snicker) And it's supposed to rain buckets besides, but it's the only weekend they could make it due to sports and half of those 34 chickens are theirs....

So, what's for dinner? Chicken sausage, lentils and green beans from the garden, the bean vines just seem to keep on producing without hesitation. It's not very pretty, but here it is:

Yes, the lentils and the beans were left over from a couple of days ago when we had the last corn from the garden, lentils and green beans:

I did make a nice bacon and cheese quiche that I took to Mother:

The garden is still giving me lots of SunGold tomatoes for snacks and hot peppers for Elery, with a few Garden Peach tomatoes for good measure:

Tomorrow I plan to forage some staghorn sumac berries and then dry them and produce my own ground sumac, just because I've never done that before. We'll see how it goes, LOL.

Annie

1 Like Save    
Compumom11

Thanks for recognizing me! Just wanted to see if my screen name shows up on this desktop.

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

There you are!!!

1 Like Save    
bragu_DSM 5

welcome back 474 .... I like compumama better *grin*

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

Neely, aren't you handy, making your own marmalade! They look great!!

Annie, I love quiche and I had some ham in the freezer for that, then I made it into Zuppa Toscana soup today instead.

I saved some turkey from last week's roast to make this recipe today. It's chicken, pasta, pepperoni (I used sliced salami) alfredo and pizza sauce casserole. So a pasta chicken pizza casserole. It was pretty good, and a good way to use up leftover bird.

Here's the makings of the Zuppa soup that I made today. It's before I thickened it with cream and flour. Ham, sausage, kale and potatoes.

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

Me again. My cast iron chicken fryer is under-utilized; mainly because I forget about it. But it was perfect for my chicken and rice dish tonite.

Save    
bragu_DSM 5

looks great ... and that's a wrap [am doing chicken and rice tonight too]

time to regretfully move on to WFD #373

Save    
HU-474531087

No pics here-- i made delicious chicken salad tonight. After being in Atlanta all last week, I've been jonesing for a good homemade chicken salad with chopped apples and celery. I don't like soy based mayo and today in WF I found Kensington mayo made with safflower oil. That's a taste I like!
Today we visited a cousin up the coast in Ventura Harbor. To get there we had to pass through some local growing fields. A stop at a produce stand was mandatory and we made fast work at two competing stands. The tangerine was divine, I wish I had bought a bunch. Strawberries, artichokes, plums, peaches, prickly pears, nectarines and a grapefruit along with an enormous cauliflower managed to make it home with us.

Save    
yeonassky

I'm trying to get back on the cooking forum and thought maybe if somebody saw this they could give me a guide back. I am unable to find it and my link no longer works. My KT link has started working again but no go on the cooking forum. Although I'm not a great poster I enjoy reading all about the food and getting ideas. Plus seeing familiar names!

Save    

At the top of this thread, click on 'cooking' I've circled. Save and use that as your new tab or bookmark.

If that ever stops working, google 'garden web'

Save    
yeonassky

Thank you sleevendog. Unfortunately this is what I get when I click on that button.

Any other ideas?

Save    

Try this one HERE

So odd isn't it? Many are having trouble but on my end it is all back to normal.

Save    

Or this one HERE

Save    
yeonassky

Sleevendog I so appreciate your help and I can't believe it's still not working. Same results both times. I get into this topic on #392 but I can't go to the actual cooking forum and see the listed cooking postings. I get sent back to search results for cooking and there are few search results for cooking if any. How I found this one was through Google.. Emily h said that she was checking into the forum problems but I have no idea if that means anything anymore...

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Dining Rooms Room of the Day: Architectural Dining Room With Elegant Curves
A Boston dining room ups the wow factor with a dramatic double-helix staircase, a stunning skylight and its original copper-clad door
Full Story
Farmhouses Houzz Tour: A LEED Platinum Home With Farmhouse Style
Equally charming and efficient, this pad in upstate New York houses a dance studio, a music room and plenty of warm, inviting living space
Full Story
Contemporary Homes Houzz Tour: Modern Mountain Magic in Asheville
Inspired by their mountain views, a North Carolina couple build their forever home
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
We know the only measure of our success is the satisfaction of our customers. We are committed & determined to... Read More