Another one lost?

sushipup1

Do you lose things in the kitchen? I mean disappeared forever? I suspect that if I lived alone, this would not happen so often, if you know what a mean.

I bought a 3-pack of Kuhn Rikon Swiss peelers about two years ago. Today I have one.

About 10 years, I counted my everyday stainless flatware, knowing that I should have service for 12. Nope, wound up buying a bunch of items to fill in the gaps. (Happily, the Oneida Paul Revere pattern has been around a long time and still going strong.) Now, I'm afraid to count again.

SaveComment37Like
Comments (37)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blubird

Just 2 weeks ago I lost a great kitchen scissor...with a bright red handle, bought purposely so it would be hard to lose. Yup!

Save     Thanked by sushipup1
colleenoz

When DD (now 34) was about 6, I got her a junior cookbook which came with a set of measuring spoons. I used those spoons for years until a couple of years ago, when I couldn’t find them anywhere. I was really annoyed because although I replaced them, I didn’t like the new spoons nearly as much.

The other day, I got out a rarely used lidded measuring jug, and inside were the spoons! I can only think that I must have planned to cook at our city unit and took both with me, brought them back home and just put the jug away as it was.

1 Like Save     Thanked by sushipup1
l pinkmountain

I am absolutely sure that in one of my kitchen cupboards lies a portal to another dimension . . . Several of my plastic containers and some knives from the drawer above have been transported.

6 Likes Save     Thanked by sushipup1
sushipup1

Plastic containers must have wings. And the lids, too. And they never travel together.

2 Likes Save    
cooper8828

What makes me crazy is when I look and look for something in the kitchen and finally give up and just use something else. The next day I'll be putting something away, and right in plain sight is the item I was searching for the day before. I think I may have gremlins in the kitchen.

5 Likes Save     Thanked by sushipup1
Feathers11

I don't have a lot of kitchen gear (I'm a minimalist) but I do have 3 different scissors. When the kids were younger, one would often go missing when school projects were due. And my husband often uses the one most convenient to reach without putting it back. It drives me nuts.

chloebud

"I think I may have gremlins in the kitchen."

Oh, there are clearly gremlins in my kitchen....big time!!!

naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan

In spite of having several scissors, they often all disappeared when my kids were living at home. For awhile we tied one to the drawer it belonged in and everyone who wanted to use that one had to use it right there. A roll of tape was also tied near the same spot. The kids are on their own now, the scissors and tape are no longer tied to drawers, but they still disappear at times.

nancyofnc

I have too much stuff. While rooting around to find the jalapeno pepper corer and de-seeder (rarely used) I found the lateral garlic slicer I bought two years ago but hadn't yet used and I refused to buy another one, just because. So for two years I fussed about having to slice the garlic with a knife when somewhere lived a better tool I remember buying. Did find the jalapeno thingy in the laundry room. Who knows how it walked there? And more importantly, WHY?

To the others about scissors - go to the dollar store and buy 20. Put one in every drawer you own (or buy more for every missed drawer). They are cheap, do a reasonable job, and when no longer work - toss - then go the store immediately and buy replacement for that drawer because the rest of them will migrate as soon as the first the missing one does.

fawnridge (Ricky)

There's a small child hiding in my kitchen. He comes out when I get the munchies and eats everything I just bought. I thought I was forgetting stuff at the supermarket until I checked the receipt and the trashcan one morning.

CA Kate z9

Definitely Gremlins in my kitchen driving me nuts. !!!

bragu_DSM 5

mmmmm .... gremlins, but they DO NOT taste like chicken. Kind of a cross between rattle snake, gator and cilantro, with a touch of curry. Do NOT cook in water... the flavor goes wild at night...

plllog

Well, maybe not in my kitchen, but ten years ago I packed up my kitchen for a gut remodel. There was a huge carton that got filled in place with big, not so kitcheny things like brass planters, and also some odds and ends. This big carton had to be emptied first so we could get to the others and I'm pretty sure my grill press was in there and went into the kitchen. My father was helping me line all the shelves and drawers. He was very good at getting the measures just right. So I remember putting the grill press out of the way somewhere, I'm pretty sure on a shelf that had already been lined. I remember saying it didn't matter where it went as it could be moved later. I haven't seen it since. And I've looked and looked. This is a 7-8" square of ribbed cast iron with a knob on top. No so easy to overlook! But I have to think the interdimensional scientists who study the socks have pilfered it.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by sushipup1
nancyjane_gardener

First we remodeled the kitchen (pretty big downsize) then we moved (BIG downsize!), But I still remember some of my gadgets and don't remember getting rid of/selling them!

I'm very picky about getting more!

annie1992

Here it's salad spinners. Elery had one at his house, I had one at my house. We sold both houses and bought this house and can't find either one of the salad spinners, I had to go to GoodWill and buy another one.

And, like sushipup, I can't keep track of flatware, especially spoons. (sigh) I had a matching set once, now I have a conglomeration...

Those interdimensional scientists are stocking a pretty good kitchen!

Annie

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Still wondering, after many years, what ever happened to a nice little fillet knife I got from my dad. I still have the plastic sheath for it, but never could figure out what happened to it. I keep thinking I might've taken it out to the garden to cut some greens and dropped it somewhere. I half expect I might find it out there one day, rusted and caked with dirt.

For a long time, I was missing the little sheath for my instant read thermometer and had given up ever seeing it again when I discovered it had slipped underneath the drip pans on the stovetop. It now has a slight curve from the heat.

Sooz

Anything that disappears usually has DH as the culprit. He either threw it out or put it in the "wrong" place (which is like disappearing!). When we were first married, eons ago, he threw out the butter dish! That made no sense at all!

agmss15

There was once a great Opus cartoon about the Planet of Lost Pens and the Other Sock. I often imagine the poor penguin on his lonely world with plastic lids, unmatched containers, scissors, keys etc... along with writing tools and foot apparel.

I live alone or at least my housemates lack opposable thumbs. So disappearances are all down to me. If I put something away carefully then I am doomed.

We just had our annual Open Studio event yesterday. I foresee a few weeks of missing essential tools that were put away carefully. We did find 999 pencils while cleaning up beforehand.

John Liu

"Or All The Seas With Oysters" by Avram Davidson is a short story that won a Hugo award in 1958. The main character observes that safety pins always go missing while there are always too many clothes hangers (this was back when people still used the former and the latter were wire). He realizes to that safety pins and clothes hangers are pupal and adult stages of the same life form living among us. He doesn't live to alert the world. I theorize that something similar is going on in our kitchens. But that it would be best if we don't talk about it. Don't let them know we suspect anythi

6 Likes Save     Thanked by sushipup1
chase_gw

Serving spoons! I swear I have to replace one or two every year.......where can a serving spoon go? Maybe I should check the garage.

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Ha - I was thinking of that classic story as well, John! It made a deep impression on me when I first read it as a kid. I reread it a number of times since then and it still holds up.

Annette Holbrook(z7a)

I have a set of colorful nesting measuring cups. About 2 months ago the orange 1 cup disappeared. I noticed it immediately as I use it a lot. We went through every inch of the kitchen, even dumped out the trash and sifted through it. It has never shown back up. I am beyond stumped and annoyed. Maybe it turned into a mixing bowl?

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Annette - did you check your flour or sugar, etc. containers yet? That's happened to me before and I later found the missing measuring cup had been left inside a bag of flour.

Annette Holbrook(z7a)

Carol, I don’t recall if I looked there. Will do so as soon as I get home.

colleenoz

Annie's post reminds me that I haven't been able to find my ricer for years :-(

Of course, if I buy a new one then the old one will turn up :-)

amylou321

Here its scissors and hammers. We have lived at this house for 3 years or so and have probably gone through half a dozen of each.....

JRose

I find serving spoons seem to disappear. The only thing I can think is that when we have potluck-style meals, people sometimes forget the serving spoons in their dishes (if they didn’t bring their own) aren’t theirs. No biggie, but I can’t figure out where In the heck else they go.

plllog

JRose, that sounds likely. Why not pick some up at a thrift shop, outlet or garage sale and use those for potlucks? I learned this concept from Linda who years ago talked about picking up dishes to take that way that didn't have to come home. :)

Islay Corbel

We have a teaspoon snatcher.

bragu_DSM 5

screw drivers. I bought a pail of them at an auction awhile back, and STILL am forever searching the drawers for them ... oh yeah, measuring spoons ... but that's a given. My baking soda box loves to eat them and hide them within.

artemis_ma

My parents gave me their fondue set when they downsized to an apartment back in 2000.

I've just finished moving from the old home, and I have the pot and the fondue forks... but could not for the life of me find any of those divided plates where you put the bread or meat or whatever in the center, with the sauces or whatever on the side.

NO idea where those things vanished off to. I sorted EVERYTHING as I packed to leave. *I* packed, no service to help me involved.

Louiseab Ibbotson

I think it can work both ways to. We host a lot of potluck get togethers and typically end up with a few thing that don’t belong to us that nobody ever claims.

yeonassky

Scissors scissors scissors! Also cutlery but scissors are the worst. When you need a pair of scissors you really need a pair of scissors! Especially the favourites that are sharp enough to manage most jobs.

My scissors have been on holiday for the last month and I have not seen one postcard from wherever they are. I miss them and hope they come home soon!

My daughter is gone for a month to South America so maybe they're with her. I definitely won't get a picture as my daughter doesn't take very many pictures . Sigh

Solsthumper

Universally frustrating, I suppose.

I haven't turned my spoons into airplanes since my son was a toddler (he is now 20), yet they're still flying off course.

Sol

pkramer60

Whoever has my Corningware French White quiche dish, please return it.

2 Likes Save    
chase_gw

Sol....Thumper is 20???? OMG where does the time go. Meredith is 33 with a one year old !

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Life Saying Goodbye to One Home and Hello to Another
Honor your past and embrace your future with these ideas for easing the transition during a move
Full Story
Decorating 101 12 Great Kitchen Styles — Which One’s for You?
Sometimes you can be surprised by the kitchen style that really calls to you. The proof is in the pictures
Full Story
Outbuildings A New Book Offers Ideas for a Garden ‘Room of One’s Own’
Practical advice and enviable inspiration sheds are all you need to start planning your own backyard getaway
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
A shared philosophy of giving back is what motivates the talented team at Purple Cherry Architects. Our work is... Read More