SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
watersole_gw

first time balcony garden, what to expect

watersole
20 years ago

Hi all,

I had a sad morning today.... In an effort to make our balcony a lovely place to be this summer, I decided to plant some sunflower seeds. I did a bunch of research, and decided on Velvet queen. I started their germination inbetween damp papertowels, and when they began to sprout, I planted them all into peat pellets (12 total). They were all doing so well.... I had one in particular that I called my superstar... taller and quicker and more perfect than the rest. I also had 8 pellets of growing alyssum seedlings with them. I was feeling like a proud seedling mama. I usually kept them all in a place safe from the cats, but had fallen asleep with them out on a table under lights. My husband thoughtfully moved them into the bathroom. When I woke up for work, I happily went to check on them..... **HEART ATTACK**** My superstar was gone! Chewed off right at the dirt level, and another one lost both cotyledons.... The others are fine, but the alyssum suffered a large attack as well. We think it was ants.

So, for those who have suffered through my story, my question is: will I have this ant problem when my sunflowers are finally growing in pots on the balcony? If yes, will the cayenne pepper trick work? Or will I have to buy chemicals? What else can I expect for my balcony garden? I have african daisies, more alyssum already thriving, coleus, nephtitus, pink jasmine and phlox, and ficus.

Thanks for any tips or advice.

Thanks for

Comments (2)

Sponsored