SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dragon_fly_gw

first time hiring interior decorator-are my expectations wrong?

dragon_fly
14 years ago

Or at least unrealistic?

We had an interior decorator recommended by our contractor come over to talk with us. She spent about and hour and half and we went over what we wanted, what style we envisioned, and what colors we liked. It's basically a family room and we need help with furniture placement, lighting, fireplace ideas etc. Right now there is nothing there so we are starting with a blank canvas. I thought we hit if off so after the free consultation we signed a contract to pay her an hourly rate of $100. She was going to pull some ideas together and get back to us.

She came over yesterday with one color palette (carpet, stone, laminate) and a couple of computer generated pics of a couch in front of a TV. During the conversation it was very hard to get much out of her for ideas. I kept saying what about this or that and totally felt like I had to lead her and suggest ideas. And I didn't like the color palette. It doesn't flow (IMO) with the rest of the house which was a requirement. Maybe she meant it to be complementary but it's not me. So after another hour and half I told her what I needed in terms of ideas and colors.

What do you expect after meeting with a designer twice? We are on the third meeting now and I feel like are at square one even though shes put in a several hours. Should I call it quits and try to find someone else? The thing is that I have seen her work and really liked it.......I just feel like I'm doing all the suggesting and she's not coming up with anything new, or even adding anything.

Comments (8)