SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_710919963

New Custom Build in the design stage, looking for feedback

HU-710919963
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hello, we are in the design phase of our forever dream home (my husband will act as GC and we’ll do much of the work ourselves). We have started working with an architect but while I’m waiting on his drawing I’d love some feedback on the layout ideas. Sorry for the book-long post and thanks in advance!

Some background info:

We purchased this lot with 1961 Ranch style home to remodel into a forever home. We were almost finished and then our town burned down including our house. So now we’re working on plans for the rebuild. Clean slate, any idea is possible now. I’ve looked at hundreds of plans and none fit what we wanted so this plan is from scratch. We’ve spent several months working on ideas while waiting for our place in line with the architect.

Lot:

2 acres off a private road that continues as our driveway onto the lot. The house will be over 600 ft from the next cross street so we really don’t have any street facing. The house used to be situated at the west side with entry facing north. We want to keep it relatively in the same spot but shifted a bit further from the west edge of the property and front office corner angled slightly to the north. West boundary is newly rebuilt wood fencing (those neighbor homes are still standing), and all others chain link. North boundary was woodland and likely will never be developed. East boundary has standing homes at the east ends of their 1 acre lots. South boundary is burned and we hope to purchase some neighboring lots. Our lot is not quite flat and has a seasonal creek along the low point on the east side (runs N->S). Uploading an old pic from Google maps (from before we purchased).

Style:

We will be creating a craftsman style interior with some mountain styling exterior. Would like a “Greene and Greene” inspired look which I think will fit the surrounding and climate well. Metal roof, 6:12 pitch for snow and pine needles. All siding will be ignition resistance materials made to look like cedar, etc. At least 10’ concrete patio surrounding the house with no attached flammable landscaping. We used to have a sunroom and would like to have one again, which may someday get built under the roofline of the covered porch off the kitchen. I love indoor spaces that feel connected to the outside. We had a detached garage and grew to prefer it over attached. Will do a breezeway between garage and mudroom. Single story for aging in place. Size 2500-2700 sq ft. 10 ft ceiling height in “public” living spaces except vaulted great room, 9 ft ceiling height everywhere else including hallway. I haven’t drawn the elevations but I can see them in my head pretty well. The roofline will be a long line with a couple of front and back gables too. No hips.

Lifestyle:

We spent much of our time here enjoying the yard and plan to do so again. We had volleyball, badminton, frisbee golf, basketball court, bocce ball, corn hole, table tennis, etc. We plan to put in a pool as well. We had (and plan to have) lots of large parties and events, but not usually overnight guests. I am self employed and often work from home. We also have a teen daughter that will likely live with us for much of her adult life.

Wants:

One large great room with a vaulted window wall to the SE for views and natural light. Maybe a shed dormer for windows up high along the vault. We had separate living/family rooms before and didn’t spend much time in the living room. We want spaces to feel connected and have a nice flow but we do not like “open concept”.

Kitchen connected to and partially open to great room but I don’t like kitchens that feel like a corner of the living room. Easy access to outside area for many BBQs with lots of friends. Large window over kitchen sink counter. We might not put upper cabinets on this wall for more window space. Skylight over the island. Large walk-in pantry. I was trying to come up with an idea for a walk-through pantry that connected the kitchen and mudroom or had a second door closer to the mudroom but it didn’t come together in this plan. I want buffet serving areas easily accessible to the dining room and south back porch. Also a drink station and might put a little sink there.

Dining room may not get used outside of holidays but I still want one with beautiful woodwork, coffered ceiling, and chandelier.

Guest room doesn’t need to be too elaborate because it will rarely be used.

C’s bedroom I want set up like a mini-suite with plenty of space for years. She likes to be extra warm and likes evening light so a west facing window is good for her. Will probably make one of the exterior walls into a window seat with built-in library shelves on both sides. Does not need its own entry but close to an entry for the future.

The powder room is situated to be close to back porch for guests. Another idea I had was to push the office out from the great room and stick the powder room on the exterior wall between them with a short hall from the entry and put the entry coat closet on that hallway. We’ll probably build another bathroom into the garage or by the pool area anyway. Suggestions?

There needs to be a mudroom entry from the garage breezeway which is not totally fleshed out. Hubby wants to see this combined with the laundry and I’d rather not, but am open to it if done well.

Master suite could be designed completely differently. My wish list is a decent size room and a spa-like master bath. The closet opens off the bathroom to reduce the door openings in the bedroom walls but I think there are ways we could change that. We’ll probably sneak a pocket door between the walk-in-closet and laundry room for super easy access. The bedroom could open directly to outside but doesn’t need to, we can go either way. There will be a door off the master bath to a private shower garden in the corner made by the bath and bedroom. We wanted this corner to be the most “private” from anyone coming down the driveway.

My plans are very rough and mainly for ideas, obviously not the actual plans. I didn’t bother with drawing the windows but there will be plenty of them and skylights too. The second design was my attempt at blocking the view from the hallway to the master and it's not really finished.

I think that’s about it! Thanks for reading my book if you got to the end.

Comments (21)