SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rerod

Is modernizing a old existing home worth it? And taxes..

rerod
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Most discussions around these parts are about new homes, and I'm wondering if modernizing a old existing home is worth it? I imagine not, unless you DIY because my dad renovated a old farm house and later told me he could have built three! Maybe he was exaggerating. Or maybe it was the contractor he hired, who let his entire crew go so he could make it his full time job since he was my dads buddy, or was he? Anyway..

Ive read about people spending a ton of money on new windows fueled by pushy salesman tactics and skewed numbers, but they barely notice a change in their energy bills. That's why I removed, resealed and doubled my attics R-value instead, and applied seal 'n peel to the windows in my town house in Iowa City. This, after reading the attic is where most of the heat loss and gain occur. It worked, but I never analyzed if it was cost effective or paid for itself but it was "green", I think.

But if my dad would have bull dozed the 100 year old farm house and built a new home, his taxes would have tripled probably. Isn't that a factor no one mentions? A bill that's reoccurring and keeps rising.. My taxes in Iowa City have risen over 6% a year since 1995!

That's where I'm at with my new second bug out property out in the sticks close to Millersburg Iowa. It's a old homestead on top of a hill with a mile long view that leaves me in awe every time I look. You know, a place that screams live here! The old farm house has long been bull dozed, and a 1999 16x80 was placed there.. I originally thought I would build a new home there, but since taxes are only $380 a year compared to $4900 for my home in town, I'm starting to second guess my original plan since I'm a blue collar guy and not wealthy. But the energy costs are high since mobile homes were never intended to be energy efficient.

My latest plan and since the mobile home needs a roof anyway, is remove all the plywood, double the R-value and screw 2x4 rafters on top of each existing roof truss (3:12) which will extend past the side wall 18" creating a overhang, ventilated soffit and shade. The 2x4 would also add a air channel for a ridge vent to remove hot moist air. This will cost $4500, and then another $6500 to shingle it with Malarkey legacy's since I cannot take on a project this size alone.

So I'm trying to weigh the two different scenarios. Build a new home (cha-ching) and see my taxes jump 10X. Or retro fit a energy efficient roof on the essentially free mobile home. Then add 4" of foam board insulation to the 2x4 walls, extend the window bucks and replace the junk two piece inside and outside mobile home windows. My taxes wouldn't go up, and my utility bills might be half. But am I spending a dollar to save a dime, so to speak?

Thanks!

https://i59.servimg.com/u/f59/14/97/22/52/img_0516.jpg

Comments (30)