SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meg0433

Bathroom Dilemma

meg0433
4 years ago

What would you do with this bathroom? We want to keep the existing tile. It would be more trouble to rip them out. They’re in a concrete slab. Any ideas would be appreciate!

Comments (22)

• wdccruise
    4 years ago

I think just changing the walls, ceiling, fan housing, and toilet seat cover to white would make a whale of a difference. You could also also swap the heat register cover for one that matched the floor tile.

-- amateur

• oaktonmom
    4 years ago

I’d also remove the glass doors over the tub and replace with a curved rod and shower curtain.

• User
    4 years ago

What color are the tiles?

• meg0433
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I couldn’t take the wallpaper anymore so I took that down! The tiles are a dark beige/ tan.

• meg0433
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here’s me ripping off the wallpaper but it gives a better look at the color of the tile.

• User
    4 years ago

Shades of blue look lovely with that color. My preference is for navy blue...gray works, strangely enough.

Mossy green?

I'm guessing you don't want to paper again...

Sherwin WIlliams Sea Salt is a good color for a beachy vibe...

Lucky you with that wallpaper...sometimes it can be a beast to remove...

• jemimabean
    4 years ago

I can’t even tell you how jealous I am of how cleanly your wallpaper came off. We just went did battle with two rooms where it tore off in tiny 1/2 inch chunks much of the time.

Anyway, I agree that changing out the toilet seat for a white one and getting rid of the glass/brass shower doors would make a huge difference. Would you prefer color or neutral walls? I could easily imagine an off-white paint color with some bold art and bath mats. It looks like the tile is in excellent condition, so kudos for keeping it.

• Ienas Gafer
    4 years ago

Take off the door and make it to just tube. Place a curtain rod. Ripe off wall paper and paint gravy , change toilet cover , change towel handle to metallic.

• decormyhomepls
    4 years ago

Lucky for you that the paper came down so easily. As others commented, take out glass enclosure to tub. Replace toilet seat. Paint and add some nice fluffy towels. Little changes making a huge impact

• meg0433
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I couldn’t believe how easy the wallpaper came down either! I’d read horror stories about taking down wallpaper! I’m hoping to make it brighter as there’s no natural light in this bathroom.

• Em Dash
    4 years ago

have you looked at retro renovations website for working with older tiled bathrooms? they have great ideas. I'd say, replace doors (not hard to remove) w a shower curtain. i'd also consider choosing a fabulous wallpaper that you do like for the walls, or a great paint color. be bold!!! it's the way to go with these vintage bathrooms (speaking from experience, mine is cream and red)

• Izzy Mn
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

You may have holes in tile once you take out glass doors. My sister did and the replaced it will a more modern glass door, only metal frame is at walls, doors are fully glass, that also covered the holes left behind. You can still use a shower curtain for looks and take inspiration from shower curtain for paint colors.

• always1stepbehind
    4 years ago

wow...you're half way there just pulling back that wall paper. I 2nd using a shower curtain in front of the showers doors...as least until you decide on a more permanent fix. Can you post a picture with all the wall paper down??

• Jill
    4 years ago

I suggest taking down the wall tile. Its size is too close to the size of the floor tiles.

• meg0433
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>All the wallpaper is gone
  • 2pups4me
    4 years ago

The room looks better already!

• skmom
    4 years ago

My master bath currently has bone colored tiles with white floor tiles and white tub, toilet, vanities... when I moved here the walls were painted spring green with gold fixtures everywhere and it made me nauseous! The bone colored tile looked so dirty! We got rid of the shiny brass fixtures (they were corroded anyways) and replaced them with chrome, and I painted the walls a light blue with a lot of grey in the blue to tone it down. It made the bone colored tile look fabulous! We still need to gut the entire bathroom (shower is unusable and leaks into our family room below, we’ve tried three times to repair it without gutting it because we’ve had to do so many other projects before this bathroom) but at least the bathroom no longer LOOKS bad.

• Em Dash
    4 years ago

looks great!! removing the doors will leave small holes in tile and possibly some marks on tub (mine were minimal after some scraping with a putty knife and I'm probably the only person who sees them). You can caulk holes and the shower curtain hides the rest. I would consider a bold third color to bring into the mix.

• Em Dash
    4 years ago

what does the vanity/sink/mirror area look like?

• meg0433
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here’s a picture of the sink area before I took down the wallpaper!

• User
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Honestly, it's all in very good shape...

You just have to choose a color. Personally I prefer the shower doors as removing them, you will have holes (and your tile is white, so you would have to get a caulk that is a closer color)...it really depends on what shape the metal parts are (they can get pitted).

Give the floor grout a good bleachy clean and then put a sealer on it to keep it cleaner.

I would want shelves somewhere...or a cabinet above the toilet...but that's easy enough.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES