SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

I don't get it...help me out please

Annie Deighnaugh
4 years ago

I see this Liberty Mutual ad all the time with this guy who is supposedly not wanting to be identified while he's talking about his insurance, and someone takes his picture so he dives into the water???

I really don't get it. I mean I don't get the whole premise let alone why this guy thinks diving into the water is a good idea or why he's so desperate to be anonymous.

Usually they target ads so even a child gets it, but I swear I'm so dumb...this one goes right over my head.

Anyone else get it?

Comments (46)

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I believe he is supposed to be in the witness protection program and doesn't want his face to be revealed but when they took his picture with the flash his face was shown.

ETA - not sure that was good reason to jump in the bay though.

• Janie
    4 years ago

Don't worry about it. Liberty Mutual has the dumbest most unpleasant commercials on television now - and that's saying a lot LOL. There are so many others that I cannot stand. I just turn the sound off and look out my window until my show comes back on. I am embarrassed to say that they insure my car :(

• Related Discussions

Don't get me wrong, I love police officers!

Q

Comments (5)
    Rob, they were doing their job, so be glad that they were around, be glad that perhaps they were over-reacting, it is much better than ignoring a threat. There appears to be so much anger around and so much acting out on that anger. The tragedy in Oakland, where a five police officers got shot, four of them are dead, makes me glad that I am not living in any densely populated area. I am sure that Law-Enforcement is getting paranoid also, don't blame them, wish it were different. Just "be careful out there"
    ...See More

sex life isn't there cause husband don't want it.Help please

Q

Comments (2)
    omg....not touching this one with a ten foot pole....although it is tempting....
    ...See More

XYZ star is gorgeous, but for the life of me, I don't get the appeal

Q

Comments (20)
    I honestly do not understand the celebrity fascination at all. To me they are just people. I never watch a movie because it has XYZ star in it. I just want to see a good movie, it could have Jane and John Doe as the star actors for all I care. I just do not understand the sort of mentality that goes gaga over another person? I was raised to believe that they are not any better than I am. I personally know people that absolutely obsessed with celebrities. One person is nuts for Stevie Nicks, another nuts over Marilyn Monroe and Brittney Spears, and yet another is crazy over Hugh Jackman. I also notice that all three of these people are a bit mentally unstable in general.
    ...See More

Please help me. I don't know what I am doing.

Q

Comments (18)
    I might look for a lamp that could move forward on the chest enough (without danger of toppling off) that the shade just hides that thermostat. Place it just a couple inches to the right of where it is now, or move the whole chest to the right a bit. It won't affect the functionality, esp if you use an LED bulb = no heat. Then look for a large piece of art, or a couple of stacked pieces to fill in over the right side of the chest, as shown above. Another idea is a gallery wall incorporating the thermostat: I would trade you those beautiful folded blankets for the star wars lego decor my grandson has decorated my house with! eta: I was just looking at it again and think Cyn's idea to switch the cabinets would work. You could then place the floor lamp in front of the thermostat and just ignore it.
    ...See More
  • graywings123
    4 years ago

Can't speak for their insurance, but Liberty Mutual commercials are not GEICO caliber, for sure.

• User
    4 years ago

LOL! Don't feel bad, I was also shaking my head and wondering what the deal was the first time I saw it. But I was doing my usual zoning out during commercials so that was also a factor. After seeing it a couple of times I finally figured out the same as what LoneJack said. This happens to me a lot lately since I'm not hip anymore to today's modern culture. When they show celebrity birthdays on the local news DH and I look at each other and say "I don't know who any of these people are". And we just laugh and admit we are just old f$^@s now. Many of the commercials appear to me to be created and written by 12-year-olds anyway.

• nicole___
    4 years ago

I looked it up See link. He says, "I'm in the witness protection program".

• Sammy
    4 years ago

Nicole: You can post YouTube and Vimeo videos directly into comments.

FWIW, I chuckled.

• Sammy
    4 years ago

The point is to get you to remember their name when you think of insurance companies. And it worked!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh yeah, I remember their name and I'm not buying it...their insurance that is.

• nicole___
    4 years ago

I "had" their insurance and LOVED the lower rates until I moved into a high fire danger area. They won't insure my main home.

Nicole: You can post YouTube and Vimeo videos directly into comments.

Or....a link. It's subtle. :0)

• chisue
    4 years ago

ritaweeda -- Same here regarding the daily birthday list of supposedly famous people. Who? Who? Our newspaper now identifies names as being actors, musicians, whatever. Not enough of a clue enough for DH or me, but it's pretty funny when the designation is merely "Celebrity".

'

• User
    4 years ago

I remember back a few years ago I started noticing that every day I was hearing the name "Kardashians" over and over. I started asking myself who the heck are they? When I asked my DIL who they were she said "they are the biggest celebrities right now". I said "but what do they do?" She said "nothing". So I looked them up in frustration online and she was right, they did and still do nothing. And we old folks wonder why we are so clueless?? LOL!!! This commercial for Liberty Mutual - most times you see a commercial and you don't have a clue who it's for - in this case you see immediately who it's for but you don't have a clue what it's about. This is especially true for me when it involves something high-tech or popular to people under 30.

• OutsidePlaying
    4 years ago

I agree with Lonejack and Graywings about the quality of commercials, but why would anyone consent to an interview if they are even in that sort of program or in a job where remaining incognito matters?

• User
    4 years ago

There is no consent as those are all actors playing a part for money. Commercials do that all of the time. One of my favorite restaurants has several of the waitstaff that do commercials and each commercial has them using different names, occupations, and makeup to make them younger or older.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

I like it. The point of commercials is to get your attention and leave behind a message the viewers will remember and this one seems to do that.

My experience is that TV commercials are made to a much higher standard in other countries. They tend to be quirkier, funnier and a bit more edgy. Only Geico would seem to be aimed in the direction of quirkier and funnier that I can think of, though I don't watch much TV and might be missing out on naming others of the same type.

• patriciae_gw
    4 years ago

I too was confused by the guy jumping into the bay. It seemed gratuitous.

I absolutely hate and despise those Emu ads especially the one of the emu bashing its head against a window. The commercials are casually cruel though I am sure they are digital.

My favorite of all these ads is the free range chicken ad. It makes me laugh every time but I just had to look up whose ad it was (GEICO apparently) but I didn't even remember it was an insurance ad at first.

• sprtphntc7a
    4 years ago

i agree OP, so dumb... i don't 'like' any of their commericals....

i think one of the funniest ones is the Snapple with the mangos talking!!

i also love the Reese's holiday commercials...

• breenthumb
    4 years ago

I love the "mayhem" commercials but can't tell you what insurance company they're for. Edit to take a guess...Geico.

• functionthenlook
    4 years ago

What is sad is that people get paid good money to think up these stupid commercials.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

Why do you think that's sad? It's a very creative field, not everyone will like everything.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I do like the 'mayhem' commercials too. But I can't stand flo.

The other one that drives me nuts is the Bounty commercial where someone spills something and they all say "nooooooooo" in a slowed down nasal voice.

• patriciae_gw
    4 years ago

Yes, as in they just stand there. Don't pick up your computer, don't be proactive, just wait for disaster to strike. I don't think that is the intended takeaway.

I personally find that I can almost never identify what the commercial is supposed to be selling. Maybe I am just dumber than average but even though I might like the commercial I still don't know the name of the company.

I watched a commercial awards thing once where they showed ads from other countries and the one that has stayed with me was a car sitting on a road in the middle of nowhere and a flock of Buzzards flew in to tear all the rubber parts off like the windshield wipers and door seals? It remains a mystery in my mind.

• graywings123
    4 years ago

"Mayhem guy" is some other company. But I can't remember which one.

• joann_fl
    4 years ago

don't feel bad I don't understand it either. Just plain dumb! I hate commercials, people really aren't that stupid, are they????

• User
    4 years ago

I am in the minority that I love commercials if they are well written. A well written one tells a story in short visual or sound bites. If you look at them as if they were a short film rather than an interruption of something you want to watch you might find them interesting. It also helps that both my grade and HS teachers taught us to really look at the commercials. Some are just pretty pictures, most sell an idea or feeling. There are some you must just shake your head and say why was that ever made.

The disaster ones are by State Farm. When thinking about something you have seen it can help you remember things if you mentally fuzz everything out and then look using your brain at what is the strongest colors in an ad. That is normally the predominate idea or the name of the company or brand.

• phyllis__mn
    4 years ago

.......and the guy carrying a little red box up to a doorway? Never catch what is being sold. And I'm getting mighty tired of the Arby's commercials, too.

• Louiseab
    4 years ago

I actually laugh out loud when the commercial comes o with the guy from Mad Men comes on. It’s for skip the dishes. There’s a couple of them with him and they are really quite funny.

• Eileen
    4 years ago

The mayhem commercials are Farmers Insurance.

• User
    4 years ago

You are correct Toby. I corrected what I posted.

• patriciae_gw
    4 years ago

I also enjoy well written commercials. They can be miracles of condensing. I love short stories. My favorite literature of all (say she who has read all the Dickens novels). I have books of super short short stories. When you have visuals you can rule.

• Elizabeth
    4 years ago

As my kids would say, the commercial is "lame". They tried too hard to be funny.

I always like Geico with the camel walking through the office. "Mike Mike Mike", "What day it is!"

( And I think the husband burned down Cheryl's SheShed. LOL )

• OutsidePlaying
    4 years ago

‘Mayhem guy’ ads are for Allstate. Farmer’s are the disaster ads.

State Farm was the guy who was wearing khakis. Cracked me up.

• Elizabeth
    4 years ago

Great ad. Jake. From State Farm.

• breenthumb
    4 years ago

Jake from State Farm is brilliant because it's funny AND we know who the ad is for. My pillows are sooo long and sooo boring. And now there are loose fitting sheets.

• lovemrmewey
    4 years ago

I love the dog family but don't recall the product. Oh, but not the one with saliva flying out the window!

• Elizabeth
    4 years ago

The dog couple in the car and he is watching the poodle cross the street and she gives him the look? Very funny.

• graywings123
    4 years ago

That's Subaru! I love their dog commercials.

• lgmd_gaz
    4 years ago

I love the Chantix quit smoking slow turkey commercials with the turkey. That turkey is so well detailed in appearance and movements. Love how he shivers, arranges his beach vacation souvenir shells and looks at his vacation pictures, etc.

• DawnInCal
    4 years ago

I love the mayhem commercials. The mayhem guy is actor Dean Winters who plays Riley O'Reilly on the drama "Oz". He has also appeared in several television shows including Law and Order. I know all this because I saw him in a Law and Order rerun the other night and recognized him as the mayhem guy. Out of curiosity, I looked him up and found out who he is.

There are some really great commercials out there and some really bad ones as well.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Haha lgmd...I detest the chantix turkey and always mute the tv when the ad comes on!

• always1stepbehind
    4 years ago

I was fast forwarding through commercials and ran across that Liberty commercial and had to rewind it....I didn't get it either. Didn't make much sense either...

• graywings123
    4 years ago

I love the Chantix turkey. It is so lifelike and sweet.

• always1stepbehind
    4 years ago

I can't remember which company it is, I think another insurance company but it's the commercial where the people are turning into their parents...There is the husband and wife sitting with his mom at the dinner table, and he's wearing a similar sweater, reading glasses etc, and there is the one commercial where there is a like a group support meeting...one guys comments how his flip phones still works...

• justlinda
    4 years ago

Umm - I wonder if they showed these commercials today what the general consensus would be? Ya never know - it might be an incentive to stop smoking, eh? But sure are glad there are no longer any of these commercials around either on tv or magazines (my opinion only)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    4 years ago

When I can't sleep, I'll watch the old game shows...what's my line...to tell the truth...i've got a secret...and they often run the original ads as well...quite something to see and recall, like the toni home perms...

• Janie
    4 years ago

I used to cut a class with my friend and we'd go next door to watch the live broadcast of To Tell The Truth - 54th Street, NYC, 1967. Hadn't thought about that in many years :)