SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donnawalkerpaintings

Small Format Tile for Kitchen Floor- Opinions

4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Is it a good idea to install small format tile for a kitchen floor? We are in the early stages of planning a partial kitchen renovation which will include new countertops, floor, backsplash and painting of cabinets. I love this Emser Arabesque ceramic tile and originally thought of it for a back splash (in the white). But then I thought how unique it would be as a floor tile (in either the white or gray).

Is it going to be a nightmare to clean all that grout? I know it is popular to use small tiles in bathrooms. The kitchen floor will also include a connecting laundry room, so floor area is approximately 6ft x 27ft. I think it will be beautiful as floor, I would use a warm gray grout color (not too light). I also wonder if epoxy grout would be best, for durability? It comes on a mesh approx 12" x 14" - the largest shape is 3"x5" to give you an idea of the size. It is ceramic, and is rated on their site for residential floors. 1/16" grout line recommended.

I do have a backup plan of another ceramic 13"x13" if this doesn't work out. And then I would use it as the backsplash after all. Is this kind of smaller tile much harder to install than a 13x13?

Just curious to hear opinions.

Comments (15)