SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gworrel

Large format floor tile layout dilemma.

gworrel
5 years ago

I am trying to determine the best floor tile layout. The tiles are 17 3/8 x 26" rectified porcelain. The room is about 8' x 11'. I have laid it out in sketchup. I am using a straight pattern with the long dimension of the tile going left to right as you enter the room. 4 tiles laid end to end is about 2" wider than the room width. I can split that 2" to left and right or just cut one tile on one side. Not sure how noticeable the discrepancy will be.

A problem with that pattern is a couple of small tiles at the shower base of only 4 9/16" wide.

If I go 5 tiles wide and have 12" cuts at left and right sides, then the small tiles next to the shower base are 16" wide. The two patterns are in the 2 sketchup files below: The tiles are superimposed over the room dimensions with the shower base in the lower right corner. The entry doorway is just to the left of the shower base at the bottom of the image. In the first image, the far right column of tiles are beyond the room dimensions and would be left out.

Is it worth all the extra cuts and 12" sections on each side to avoid the 4 9/16" small pieces next to the shower base, which is also right in the doorway?

Comments (10)