SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pipdog_gw

Using large format tiles on shower floor? Yes or no?

Pipdog
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Our master bath has extra large format floors (48x48), and we have a bunch of leftover tile, and I am trying to figure out if we can use the same tiles in the shower, just cut down in size a bit.

I've found a couple inspiration photos on Houzz where larger format tiles are used in a shower, but my tile installer is reluctant to do this and is pushing me to get mosaic tiles for the shower floor. But we can't find smaller mosaic tile that is a good match to the 48x48 tile on the floors, and I'd rather have the continuity of flooring throughout the bathroom and not be broken up with different tile on the shower floor. Plus, I dislike all the grout lines of the mosaic he is suggesting.

If we do use the large format tiles, what is the largest the tiles on the shower floor can be? Any precautions we should take? Does anyone have any photos of large format tiles installed in a shower floor with a center drain? Any problems with puddling or installation?

Here are some of the examples I've seen that have similar tile configuration (our shower will have a curb that will be made out of quartz and a center drain).

Comments (35)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus