SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heather_kooren

Dark kitchen. Any ideas on how to lighten it up and general design ?'s

Heather Kooren
4 years ago

We are going to be remodeling our kitchen soon. My dilemma is that my kitchen is quite dark. Even in the middle of a sunny day it's dark due to the fact that we have a lot of shade trees in the backyard on that side of the house. It gets very little natural light. I hate to get rid of any spots for cabinetry but would you open this wall up to the sun room (just behind it) where there is light. I wasn't thinking of getting rid of the entire wall just an opening maybe ( like a pass through) ?? Of course, then I lose cabinet space. The new kitchen will be white cabinets and much lighter tile backsplash so that will help some but still doesn't solve the problem of little natural light. Also, those corner windows and the way the cabinets box them in is all wrong. Even if we made the windows bigger, I don't know that would allow more light in anyway. Besides, we are doing a 3 season porch over the deck so that window to the right will be inside of that room and not open to the outside anymore. Also, thoughts on a corner pantry would be appreciated? I know they take up a lot of room and kitchen designers hate them but they are quite useful in my opinion. I'm not opposed to losing the corner panty, I just want to make sure we get the same storage in another way. Thanks in advance.

Comments (21)