Cherries

Rusty

I had to go to the big city yesterday to pick up my glasses, so naturally I also went to a few of my favorite stores that we don't have here. One of them is Sprouts. I was flabbergasted, they had sweet cherries for $1.00 a pound! ! ! Well. actually it was $.96 or $.98 a pound, not sure which. But that is an unheard of price around here. I've never seen them that cheap before, usually around $4.00 a pound.

Also got some humongous red and orange bell peppers for $.98 apiece, also a really low price around here.

I you like cherries and have Sprouts store near you, you might want to check it out.

Rusty

SaveComment36Like3
Comments (36)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Bookwoman

No Sprouts around here, but I just got some Rainier cherries at Trader Joe's. I don't usually care for their produce, but these are delicious.

Save     Thanked by Rusty
Andie

Sprouts Raniers were $2.98/lb. Those are my favorite. We picked some up at TJ's too. They were really good.

Organic grapes are $1.98/lb. They have a great produce department. Got some huge Brussels sprouts the other day.

amylou321

I got some at publix the other day for $1.99 a pound! They are usually around $7/lb. My favorite fruit, and the only one I am willing to break my low carb streak for. But they are gone now and I am back on the wagon....:/

Lars

I have white sapote falling from my tree right now, and I'm a bit upset because they are not yet ripe, and I do not know if they will ripen after they are off the tree.

In Cathedral City last week, I went to a Cardenas market and got four Manila mangoes for $1.00 plus three pounds of oranges for $1.00. I will be going back to that market.

We do have Sprouts close to our house in Los Angeles, but it tends to be more expensive than other markets, except for Bristol Farms, and BF is where we usually go now, even though it is more expensive.

We'll check the Mar Vista farmers' market on Sunday to see what they have. My father loved cherries but could not grow the successfully in Texas. He said it did not get cold enough in the winter, but they grow them in California with milder winters. We cannot grow the sour cherries here, however, and they are supposed to be better for pies than sweet cherries.

Elmer J Fudd

Cherry season is almost over.

DawnInCal

I have really enjoyed the cherries this year. Im on my third bag even though they are $7.99 a pound. I figure Im worth it!

Elmer J Fudd

You must be getting cherries from the Pac Northwest. The Central California cherry season was quite poor, a lot of fruit was lost to uncharacteristic spring rains.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Rusty
marylmi

I love the Michigan sweet cherries from Traverse City. I forgot to check today in the store.

glenda_al

LOVE bing cherries!

Toby

I'm in the PNW and we get cherries from Washington but I've barely seen any in the stores. They are $1.98 at WinCo but not good this year. They need to be large, firm, and a black cherry color for the sweetness and flavor to be at peak. Last year was a bumper crop and they were excellent.

socks

I got some cherries at my chain supermarket. They outstanding, what a treat! Usually you get a few unripe, sourish ones, but not in this batch. They were all ripe. Seems a little late for cherries to me. And they were inexpensive.

Mine came from Orchard View in The Dalles, Oregon.

blfenton

Cherries this year are expensive as we had rain in the Okanagan near the end of their ripening and a lot of the crop was lost. I have no idea what I paid for them - that's one produce I don't check the price. I too, am on my third, and sadly last bag.

phoggie

I got some this morning at our local grocery store for $1.98 a pound...,delicious!

ravencajun Zone 8b TX

Cherries are just now hitting big around here. I bought some twice but was disappointed. Not very sweet. I will probably try one more time.

cherryfizz

Our Walmart has cherries from the Pacific Northwest for $1.66 a pound which is the lowest I have ever seen for cherries. The cherries are so flavourful this year.

socalnolympia

I'm actually trying to hybridize new cherry varieties, I have several small trees.

There are numerous different cherry varieties, which most people are not aware of. They have subtle differences in flavor, different ripening times, and other subtle pros and cons.

Cherries don't do as well with too much intense sun and heat, which is why many people in certain parts of the country have difficulty growing them. Especially if the air is dry, the leaves of cherry trees can bake in hot conditions, but if it's too hot and humid they will succumb to disease and pests.

There's a reason most cherries are grown in Washington, Michigan, and Upstate New York.

Elmer J Fudd

If the Olympia in your username is for the city in Washington, you'll know that Washington's cherry growing region is in the inland arid, hot Yakima Valley and other inland areas with similar climates. Washington is #1 in the US for sweet cherry production, followed by Oregon and California. Apparently the cherries grown in Michigan are the sour varieties. I include a screen capture instead of a link, this is a pay site.

marylmi

Michigan does grow sweet cherries but most are sent for processing to use in yogurt and maraschino cherries. That's why when stores do have some, they are pricey but still sell quickly.

joyfulguy

When I was a boy we had a large black cherry tree on the roadside fenceline near our roadside buggy stand and house. We boys liked to spend an hour sitting on its branches, in the cherry season.

In recent years cherries have usually been out of my price range, but I got two bags on different days recently for about C$2.47/lb., I think, and they were delicious ... I'd pick out the dark ones, and by tomorrow some of the earlier redder ones had blackened - do they call that built-in rationing?

Shared some with son.

Grapes seem more reasonably priced than usual, this year, as well.

ETA Got some for about $1.25 lb., shared with son, got more on Sun. at .99 ... gotta eat fast, to get ahead of the fruit flies.

ole joyfuelled ... extra occasional fuelling by cherries (+ grapes), thankfully

nicole___

I saw those cherries in the Sprouts add. GREAT price! I picked up the red bell peppers for .98ea & made a stir fry with sliced yams.

maifleur01

When I moved into this house I planted and added all of the fruits that I like. The first was a sour cherry. I find it has more fruit every other year. This was one of those other years. I invited all of my friends to come pick as I do every year and this year two of them actually came. I can no longer eat very many of any of the fruits that I planted because my throat feels like I have fuzz growing in it if I eat more than a little.

For those that are looking for a short tree a Montmorency only gets about 15 feet tall. Most sweet cherries although they can be pruned lower are actually very tall trees when mature.

DawnInCal

My last bag of cherries was from Idaho. The bag I bought yesterday for $1.98 a pound (yes!) didn't say where the cherries were grown. It was just marked as being a product of the USA.

cherryfizz

I love sour cherries the best, usually pick them at an orchard in the county, last year the sour cherries were really small and it took forever to fill up a basket. This year the trees are overflowing with cherries and because of my sore back I can't pick them. I wish the orchard would sell them already picked but they don't or I would buy them. They do sell frozen cherries by the bucket but I don't have freezer space. I went to Walmart again this morning and bought over 6 pounds of cherries for $1.66 a pound. I can never get enough cherries during the season. haha that is how I chose my name Cherryfizz when I first logged on the internet with my Webtv way back when. I needed a user name to post on the Caregiving Forum at Gardenweb in the 1990's and couldn't think of what to use until I looked at the bowl of cherries I was eating along with sparkling water, Cherryfizz was born. I didn't even know it was the name of a cocktail back then.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Rusty
Chi

I made an awesome cherry pie on the 4th with cherries from Sprouts.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX

They were 88c a lb today at Kroger so I bought some. Hope these are good.

Elmer J Fudd

We're not pie lovers but another approach for a baked dessert with fruit is to make a French clafoutis (pronounced claw foo tee). Especially good with cherries but other fruits can be used too. You can search for recipes. I think the result benefits from avoiding any fruit that's too watery (so not too ripe), using pieces a bit more on the firmer side is better. We've made them with cherries and also using cut pieces of ripe but firm plums.

Rather than being like a crusty pie with what's usually a too gooey and too sweet filling, the consistency is more like pieces of fruit over which a rich batter is poured and then baked. Try one while cherries are still available, they're pretty easy to make.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Rusty
marylmi

I had to stop at Wal-Mart today and while there I checked on cherries. A lucky day as they had Michigan sweet cherries for $3 a pound. I bought 2 pounds and oh, so good!! Package says from Sparta, Mich. I may make that French dessert that Elmer mentioned!! :)

maifleur01

While that cherry thing is good I like the one made with what are sold later this year as Italian Prune Plums especially when sprinkled with coarse sugar or those small sugar balls. The better ones that I have had left the skins on which added a sharpness that I liked. I have had it with skins removed but the plums fell apart.

Louiseab Ibbotson

We just bought a bag that were on sale for $3.99 a pound. They are delicious! They are from B.C

jemdandy

The only location in Wisconsin where cherries are successful is the Door County peninsula. (Look it up on a map and you'll see why locals refer to it as the 'Thumb".) In all of the south half of Wisconsin, cherries bloom too early. In March and April, we'll have a long enough period of mild weather to trigger cherries to bloom, and then a polar vortex comes roaring down and kills the blossoms. The cherry trees on Door county have some protection against early blooming. At that time of the year, the peninsula is surrounded by a frozen lake and Green Bay. This delays leaf and blossom development by at least a month, and for most years, this delays cherry blossoms enough to escape late frosts. Door county cherry season begins near the end of July - Yummy!

For the past week, I have been buying cherries in grocery stores and the price is less than in past years.

Sammy

Speaking of cherries, anyone else come across these double bubbles?

This entire bag was seemingly filled with nothing but(t) ‘em!

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

I live in the PNW as well and local cherries (eastern WA) are plentiful, delicious and cheap right now. Virtually any grocery in my area is selling them at around $2-3 per pound and you can find temporary fruit stands along the side of the road selling them as well. The season should last through about the end of the month (started a few weeks later than usual) and then that's it for the year :-(

I have a thing about fresh, black sweet cherries that is almost a Witches of Eastwick obssession :-) I have to monitor how many I eat in a single setting but I've probably gone through a good 20 pounds of cherries since the season started!

Sammy

P.S. In case anyone’s in the market for a cherry pitter, I highly recommend this one from OXO. It’s perfect for the low-volume consumer like me, and I’m sure many—if not most—of you, who might process a pound or two at a time. Gardengal, on the other hand, it sounds like you probably need an industrial model. :D

OXO Cherry & Olive Pitter

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

LOL!! No need for a cherry pitter at my house :-) I manage to pit them quite handily once they are in my mouth.

glenda_al

Male member of our Mexican train group is an awesome cook! Made cherry cobbler for my birthday, last year. DELICIOUS!

Yep, that's me, freshman in college, in the gold frame. The young and the old :o)

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Rusty
PRO
Anglophilia

Elmer, we CAN agree on this! I adore a good clofoutis - a cherry one is wonderful! I love Julia Child's recipe - so easy and delicious.

My first MIL had a cherry tree in her garden (sour cherries) and I made many a cherry cobbler from them, using Bisquick.

When I was married to my first husband, we went to his family's summer home in Charlevoix (just north of Traverse City), and oh my - those cherries!!!! SO sweet and delicious! We always brought some home with us.

Related Stories

Trees How to Grow Your Own Luscious Cherries
Nope, they’re not the easiest fruit to grow. But with spectacular blossoms and pies as possibilities, cherries are sure worth a try
Full Story
Decorating Guides Woodipedia: Is It Cherry or Is It Alder?
Learn the differences between these two wood types, as well as costs, sustainability and a caution about finishing
Full Story
Southwest Native Plants Plant Black Cherry Trees for the Birds and Bees
Plant Prunus serotina in the Central and Eastern U.S. for spring flowers, interesting bark and beautiful fall color
Full Story
More Rooms Cherry Blossoms Spring to 100
This years marks the centennial of the beautiful trees' arrival on our shores. Below, a few ways to celebrate with your landscape and décor
Full Story
Shop Houzz Shop Houzz: Celebrate Cherry Blossom Time
By Houzz
Capture fleeting cherry blossoms with inspired designs
See Products
Color Cherry Blossom Pink Romances Rooms
Let the sweet nature of your rooms bloom with this prettiest of colors
Full Story
Shop Houzz Shop Houzz: Celebrate Spring With Cherry Blossom Decor
By Houzz
Enchantment is in the air with pretty pink blossoms all around
See Products
Wood Your Floors: Zebra, Tiger, and Teak Wood, Oh, My!
Get the Pros and Cons of Exotic Woods: Hickory, Cherry, Rosewood and More
Full Story
Trees Grow Plum Hybrids for Your Favorite Fruit Flavors
Plums are cozying up with apricots, peaches and even cherries — here’s how to grow these hybrids for the best aspects of each
Full Story