SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thecityman

can i graft a fruit cherry tree to a wild cherry tree?

Hi folks! I have a small (4") wild cherry tree that is right in the middle of where I'm trying to develop a small orchard. I have left this tree because I've been told that it could help cross-pollinate some of my fruiting cherry trees (I've planted 2 species of sour and 2 of sweet cherry). I would love to hear from some of you all whether that is even true (can wild cherry really pollinate fruit cherries)? (There are other wild cherries nearby that will remain if I graft this one). But the real purpose of this post is to ask if you all think I can cut the wild cherry tree a few feet above ground and then graft a fruit cherry onto it (via a bark graft/rind graft). I think I've read enough to know how to do the graft and the size of the wild cherry would probably work out based on grafting videos I've seen..BUT CAN A WILD CHERRY accept a fruit cherry graft? BTW...I have no idea what kind of wild cherry it is. Others nearby on my land that look just like it do produce really tiny, inedible wild cherries and grow VERY large. Thanks for helping.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!