SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dedtired

Condolence gifts after a death - overwhelming.

dedtired
4 years ago

We had a terrible tragedy happen to a neighbor. Husband was killed in a horrific traffic accident. He was in his early 50 s and left behind his wife and two teenage kids. The family is well loved in the community. Our neighborhood is especially tight knit.

As you would expect, the family Is in shock. However, the response from the community has almost been too much. There has been a parade of florists trucks on our street, a mountain of food given and people stopping in. The poor wife finally asked a friend to email as many people as possible to ask for no more visits, food or flowers, just prayers and notes.

Evidently they have several large pans of lasagna, a tray of sandwiches, baskets of fruit and cheese and enough flowers to start a florist shop. Needless to say, every one of these gifts will require a thank you note.

I am especially fond of this family and of course devastated by the loss. Still, my response was to send a heartfelt note and donate to the kids education fund, as requested. I figured just staying out of the way was the best thing I could do. Her family is there to help.

i do understand that people are stunned and want to express their support and condolences, but in fact they are creating more stress. I think flowers are a waste of money except at the service. Service is on Monday and will be standing room only, I am sure. I don’t know how the wife is coping.

Am I wrong to think that these gifts are just too much?

Comments (46)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH