SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
centralcacyclist

The death vigil that wasn't.

centralcacyclist
15 years ago

Friday afternoon I got a call from my sister in Arizona that our mother had called her insisting that her dad, my stepdad, was on death's door. He has been in a board and care home for about 7 years since a having a stroke during an AVM surgery. he can't feed himself and is aphasic. He is not incontinent. Trying to pin down why they thought he was dying got strange answers. I told her she'd better go.

She arrived late at night. The caregiver and my mother kept poking my stepdad awake to tell him she was there while he grumbled and frowned and obviously just wanted to sleep.

I kept in touch with my sister throughout the next day and we laughed until we wept over her Felliniesque account of her visit to see her dad in the board and care home. Her urgent journey was prompted by calls from both our mother and the caregiver. The caregiver was frantic and insisted that his demise was near because a bird flew into the window, he looked "black," and he wanted to sit in the chair once occupied by a former resident who died named Phil. (Dawn noticed it happened to be the only chair in the room.) She also insisted that my stepdad, who can't speak, said he saw Phil. My mother, always a bit loony, was also waiting for him to pass saying things like: maybe it's his time, he's lost the will to live. Meanwhile, my stepdad seemed oblivious to his imminent demise, slept well and woke to eat a hearty breakfast. Later he had a large bowl of ice cream at lunch. He passed on dinner but ate applesauce, pie, and a large glass of juice. Yeah, he's always had a sweet tooth. After dinner he cheerfully watched some TV and thumb wrestled with another resident. At one point the caregiver had a flight of fancy and claimed to see someone run past the window. This prompted everyone who was able bodied to run outside and look for the phantom being.

The caregiver insists that in 29 years of taking care of people she has never been wrong about when someone was going to die. She sat with Dave and told him soon he'd be seeing his mom and dad and Phil and everything would be beautiful... Thankfully Dave is both heavily medicated and of a sanguine temperament to begin with. Sis said he just nodded and gave her a thumbs up. This is much the way he always dealt with our mother in the midst of one of her frequent tantrums. (Yelling and swearing in Spanish and slamming doors.)

Sis sat and watched all this superstitious madness for most of the day Saturday trying to make sense of it. Nearly everyone there is half deaf so they yell all day long with the TV at full volume. Sis, like me, eschews TV in general. Finally she decided to leave Bedlam and head home. The sudden trip was poorly timed as she and BIL hosted a piano concert for 90 at their home on Saturday night. BIL, who relies on Sis completely for the pragmatic parts of his life, had to soldier on alone.

There have been no more calls to date.

Sis and I agreed that people who have lost the will to live and are waiting to die probably don't eat large bowls of ice cream and then thumb wrestle. But what do we know!

Comments (25)