SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hosenemesis

Wasn't the heat, it was nematodes

hosenemesis
14 years ago

Hi y'all,

I incorrectly reported that my cucumbers had succumbed to the triple digit heat spell + water restrictions of July. Now I can only WISH that's what it was.

I bought new cukes today and pulled out the dead ones. The roots looked funny: sort of knotted and yellow and the nodes were filled with little foam-like pores. I googled root knot cucumber and up popped a photo that looked just like my roots: root-knot nematode.

I rotate my crops, so I suppose these guys came in with the last batch of cukes. Just to let you all know: the plants looked like they were dying from a lack of water. I assumed the twice-a-week water restriction was the culprit. It turns out they WERE dying from a lack of water: because the roots were damaged. I probably helped grow a healthy crop of nematodes by mulching heavily, then leaving the dead plants in the ground (I was hoping they would somehow recover).

If anyone has any advice for me I would appreciate it. One of my five "raised" (about two inches) vegetable beds is infected.

Joe, if you are out there, should I cover it tightly with plastic for six months?

Renee

Comments (6)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES