SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
divine_serenity_gw

Decided it wasn't the right time :(

So DH and I put a bid on a nice 8 acre piece of property with a pole barn, for slightly more than we think it's work (but significantly less than the list price). The seller countered with an offer over 8,000 over our original offer, (still about 6,000 under his original asking price). The reality is A.) we don't think it's worth near his asking price, and the realtor agrees, B.) we don't want to over extend ourselves on our monthly expenses, our bid would have been over $100 less per month than his counter.. not to mention the upfront expenses including the down payment, closing cost, appraisal and inspection fees. We would also have to dig a deeper well before we could build as the current one would not be deep enough for a family of 4. There is also the question as to whether we would be able to tie in to the current septic or not.

I've despite by best effort allowed myself to get somewhat emotionally attached, it has great character, the nice barn with power and the small existing well. A great hill for sledding in the winter. I could just see having friends/family over to sled, and sipping warm apple cider/hot chocolate on the screened in porch by the fire watching the kids playing in the snow. The realtor asked if he should let the seller know we are no longer interested. the reality is that we are interested but not at his proposed terms, perhaps in a year or so of continued aggressive savings, and trying to pay off the last 6,000 or so of student loans we will be in a better place financially.

One thing I feel we have going for us, even though our home needs quite a bit of freshening up, i.e.: deep cleaning, clean the carpets and declutter a bunch, we've just gotten a new roof, insulation to both our attic and exterior walls, new down spouts/gutters, new exterior light fixtures, fresh paint to the trim, and should be getting new siding soon d/t some bad storms that came through this spring. Also a new heat/ac in 2011, and new water heater in 2011. I think all of this adds up to some good selling points, since it does still have builder grade cabinets in the kitchen/bathroom and laminate countertops�no high end finishes�but great bones, and walking distance to the park, and pool, nice corner lot, with a privacy fence though it too needs freshened, but we won't do that�too much $ for not enough return.

What are you thoughts, do you think we are wise to wait, I know that's likely difficult to fully say with out knowing all our financial business, but know that carrying 2 mortgages at his terms would give us less than $250/month 'wiggle' room for expenses that might come up like vehicle repair, vet bills, etc. Also if i take a day off work it would be even less in our wiggle room as I don't bring home as much money with PTO as I would actually working the shift.

Comments (15)