SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
editoria

It wasn't easy to get a Covid test this week.

Alisande
3 years ago

I came down with a fever last Sunday (I'm fine.) and although I've been very careful and it didn't seem likely that I was infected with the coronavirus, a fever is something I haven't had in years and I decided to get tested. Larry Merlo, CEO of CVS, was on TV this morning making it sound as though it's a simple matter to get tested at a CVS pharmacy. Boy, was my experience different!

My doctor is in the Scranton area, about an hour from me, and could order a test for me at one of the Scranton hospitals, but I hoped to schedule a test closer to home. The doctor's office suggested I try RiteAid pharmacies, but I found no appointments available in my county, nor neighboring ones. Our local hospital offered drive-through testing, but only with an order from a local (not Scranton) doctor. I heard CVS also offered drive-through testing, so I called the nearest store (10 miles away) and was told to schedule an appointment on the CVS website.

To sum up what turned out to be a ridiculously long story, the website said the store had no available appointments, not even days ahead. The store told me something was wrong with the website but it was the only way to schedule an appointment. They could not do it at the store. They suggested I call the CVS main headquarters, which I did. Several times. Going through innumerable phone menus each time before reaching a real person--who told me there was nothing they could do. I could make an appointment only via the website. In one call I set a personal record for being on hold (I use a headset) and never did reach a real person.

So I had the test done at the Scranton hospital, and all's well that ends well. But I think of all the people who do have Covid and struggle to get tested. Government officials get Covid testing at the drop of a hat. For the rest of us it isn't so easy.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz