SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
calliope_gw

When I went to get it, it wasn't there........

calliope
16 years ago

You know you are out of the loop when you go to shop for a pole lamp, or a swag lamp and the only place you can find them is ebay and under the Vintage heading? LOL. The wild part of the swag lamp search is that every box store has swag lamp conversion kits. If the need to convert lights to swags is so large that a whole market has sprung up in kits, then why aren't they made anymore?

When you think that it would be neat to send somebody a telegram, and remembered dating somebody who used to deliver them on a bike no less.........and find out you had better just get their email?

When you look for a public pay phone? I found out that one the hard way that has gone the wayside when my work van broke down on an Easter Sunday. I was at a cemetery when that happened and had my elderly mother with me. We both hoofed around looking for some way to communicate with my spouse, because she had a turkey in her oven and I had a ham in mine. Both, merrily cooking away! I found a convenience store who wouldn't let me use their private phone, and she went knocking on doors in a very "iffy" part of town until some man, who wouldn't let her in to use it, made a call for her to AAA. Yes, I now own a mobile phone. LOL. The tow truck operator, however, gave us both a ride home in his big car car with my panel truck dangling from the wenches, rolling merrily behind us. Great advertising.

That the Welcome Wagon Hostess and her basket of goodies has been replaced by a brown envelope with mostly ads from National mail order companies I get in the mailbox and ultimately end up lining the nest boxes in my chicken coop?

And didja know that the hostess and her basket of goodies still exist in Canada? I went online to see what was up and found out it went to mail outs and online around 1998 and if you plug your zip code in, you can access the deals in your community. Only you'd better live near a large town. When I ran my zip through, it may as well have said Podunk. Nada.

That a parsnip is hard to find, unless you go to the mega supermarket who offers it as something akin to a specialty food? rofl. Ditto cooking sherry. I went to several package stores and finally ended up at the same mega market who sold me the parsnips. Ditto fresh mint for julips I needed for a Derby party. I grow my own now.

That the carpet tiles I needed a decade ago but couldn't find anywhere are now so old they're new again? They're everywhere.

And for the fun of it, dig around in your attic and pull out a hula hoop, then present it to your grandkid. The first thing they'll do is ask what it is. When you tell them it's a toy they'll look for the battery compartment.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
More Discussions