SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3r3o3b

Nobel Prize winner who wasn't

rob333 (zone 7b)
14 years ago

Irena Sandler. I just got one of those emails I find suspect and so, I looked it up on Snopes. I was hoping it was true instead of an urban legend. It is! The email I received told of a lady who risked life and limb, only to be repaid by having her body broken and was never recognized officially for what she did. I was so touched by her life, I wanted to share what she did. She ultimately saved the lives of 2500 children from concentration camps.

Here's an excerpt from the website linked above:

"IRENA'S LIFE (SEE MUCH MORE ABOUT IRENA ON THE SENDLER FAMILY PAGE AND THE ADDITIONAL INFORMATION PAGE+we have Irena facts at the bottom of this page)

They found that Irena Sendler, as a non-Jewish social worker, had gone into the Warsaw Ghetto, talked Jewish parents and grandparents out of their children, rightly saying that all were going to die in the Ghetto or in death camps, taking the children past the Nazi guards or using one of the many means of escape from the Ghetto-the old courthouse for example- and then adopting them into the homes of Polish families or hiding them in convents and orphanages. She made lists of the children's real names and put the lists in jars, then buried the jars in a garden, so that someday she could dig up the jars and find the children to tell them of their real identity. The Nazis captured her and she was beaten severely, but the Polish underground bribed a guard to release her, and she entered into hiding."

She did not win the Nobel prize in 2007. Instead, it was Al Gore.

Here is a link that might be useful: Snopes link to Irena's claim to fame

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County
More Discussions