Booker Prize Shortlist 2021
5 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (33)
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
Related Discussions
The Booker Prize 2014 - Longlist
Comments (10)As I say, I'm disappointed that David Mitchell didn't make it. However, when I look at it dispassionately, I'm probably not surprised. It's six interconnecting stories, over the course of one woman's lifetime. However, there is a "fantasy" element about the stories; and in particular, the fifth story is exclusively about this fantasy element. It's not too much of a stretch to say that the fifth story is a battle between good and evil. It's perhaps a little too off-the-wall for a Booker short-list. I enjoyed it a lot, but it's certainly not as good, in my opinion, as Cloud Atlas. There's a nice bit of self-referentialism (is that a word?) in The Bone Clocks. An author tells his agent that he is planning a book which is going to be "a bit fantasy"; his agent says to him that a book can't be a bit fantasy, any more than a woman can be a bit pregnant....See MoreBooker Prize tonight - if you haven't yet read the shortlist....
Comments (7)I don't dispute that it's a bit of a disappointing short-list. But the books aren't half as depressing as they sound - the guy who does these deliberately picks out the worst parts and parodies the whole book like that. Very skillful, but I sometimes wonder if he actually enjoys reading very much? The same guy wrote an article in the Guardian which he seemed to suggest that if a book doesn't sell, it isn't worth anything....I really do wonder about him. Fortunately, someone else wrote another article refuting him....See MoreBooker Prize Shortlist 2016
Comments (22)And it's also worth mentioning a couple of firsts - Beatty is the first US writer to win the Booker, and The Sellout is the first paperback to win the Booker. The publishers, OneWorld, must be pinching themselves - they have published the Booker winner two years running, which isn't bad for a little independent publisher who were only formed in 1986....See MoreBooker Prize 2017 - Shortlist
Comments (18)So, the Booker Prize winner is announced tomorrow. Here's my thoughts on each one on the shortlist:- 4 3 2 1 by Paul Auster (US) (Faber & Faber) I am currently re-reading this one, and loving it just as much again the second time. I would be very pleased if it won, and I quite fancy its chances. History of Wolves by Emily Fridlund (US) (Weidenfeld & Nicolson) Not so good the second time. Don't think so. Exit West by Mohsin Hamid (Pakistan-UK) (Hamish Hamilton) Haven't managed to get into it. My daughter is reading it, and thinks is good, but... so I don't think this will win either. Elmet by Fiona Mozley (UK) (JM Originals) Not surprised it was long-listed. Very surprised it was short-listed. I'd be astounded if it wins. Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders (US) (Bloomsbury Publishing) Very strange, but I'm beginning to think it's something exceptional. I think this one will win. Autumn by Ali Smith (UK) (Hamish Hamilton) I love it - I'm optimistic, and I'd be very happy if it won. So - to summarize - I want Autumn or 4-3-2-1 to win, but I think Lincoln in the Bardo will win - and I think it would be a worthy winner. For what it's worth, the bookies make it nearly an even favourite to win. Interestingly, I found I could get 8/1 on both Autumn and 4-3-2-1 at the bookies. They are my two favourites, so I've put a tenner on each - if either wins, I make a seventy quid profit! (And if any other book wins, I'm down twenty quid, but still...)...See More- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago



martin_zOriginal Author