Booker Prize 2017 - Shortlist
9 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (18)
- 9 years ago
Related Discussions
The Booker Prize Shortlist is now out !
Comments (24)Jan - I have some sympathy with you about McEwan, I have to admit. But aren't all writers a bit formulaic? However, I can't let your assertion about "the ever increasing paucity of the Booker selections" go unchallenged. This year has not been a bad selection by any means; last year was a bit disappointing (all statements IMHO, of course!) - but the year before was quite marvellous. John Banville won with The Sea, The Sea and Julian Barnes, Kazuo Ishiguro, Ali Smith, Zadie Smith and Sebastian Barry were all shortlisted - and McEwan actually missed the shortlist that year with Saturday - a book that plenty of people reckoned was good enough to win. There were five quite marvellous novels out of the six on the shortlist. The year before that, Cloud Atlas was on the shortlist - that book in itself is one I would set against your statement about the paucity of modern literature. People forget that in the "good old days" there was also a hell of a lot of trash too. Perhaps your idea of waiting a few years and see which ones survive is a good one. Me, I think the Booker shortlist is normally a fairly good pointer to at least some of the future classics....See MoreBooker Prize Shortlist 2016
Comments (14)Martin, I was thinking about your comment that the success of all four men who knew each other in college was too much a coincidence. Actually, it can happen, and I know someone to whom it did. My husband, while not famous, had a very successful career as a cutting edge engineer and was involved in the fundamental development of wireless networking A friend of his from the rooming house they shared became a famous Hollywood director. Another friend from that same rooming house became a well known New York photographer. Yet another, not as close a friend, is now a world famous composer. You would probably recognize at least two of the names, and perhaps all three if you know the New York art world. The difference from the novel is that all four went their separate ways many years ago and did not maintain the friendship once they left their university. I myself have never met any of the other three men. I even forget the photographer's name myself because it did not mean anything to me, but I do remember the stories. I think this does happen at certain universities. It certainly did not happen at mine, at least not to me, but a high school friend of mine who went to my husband's university long after he was there is also acquainted with a number of highly successful people in her field....See MoreBooker Prize Shortlist 2016
Comments (22)And it's also worth mentioning a couple of firsts - Beatty is the first US writer to win the Booker, and The Sellout is the first paperback to win the Booker. The publishers, OneWorld, must be pinching themselves - they have published the Booker winner two years running, which isn't bad for a little independent publisher who were only formed in 1986....See MoreBooker Prize Longlist 2018
Comments (10)OK, so I have now officially read one of the longlist. I found a UK first edition of Sabrina by Nick Drnaso. As the first graphic novel ever listed on the Booker, I thought it was worth a punt - I strongly suspect it'll be worth a bit more than I paid for it in the future. But it's really quite disappointing. I didn't find the story convincing; I couldn't get immersed in it at all. I thought the drawing was quite poor - in fact, I had difficulty telling some of the characters apart. The very first couple of pages totally confused me, as I thought the main character on them was male - until the character said to a woman something like "Shall we have a girls night in?", and I did a double take. No, Sabrina did absolutely nothing for me. It made a few points about modern life quite tellingly, but still... This, I think, is a classic example of the Booker trying to be cool and edgy. It won't be shortlisted. (Maybe I just don't get graphic novels - I read Alan Moore's Watchmen because everyone raved about it, and I couldn't see what all the fuss was about.) Next - Milkman by Anna Burns. I have read the first fifteen pages of this, and in my opinion it's already got far more depth and interest that the whole of Sabrina....See More- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
martin_zOriginal Author