Whole Hog Barbecue

fawnridge (Ricky)

This past weekend, Carol and I flew to Virginia for a barbecue at her son Robbie's house. Sean (the guy in the first picture) cooked the hog, only the second of his barbecue career. He cooks for veteran's groups and several government agencies (he's cooked at the White House many times) and since Robbie is a wounded warrior, he was more than happy to handle the task. Since I've cooked eight hogs as part of a team and pulled the meat from three of them, I was more than happy to offer some tips and handle the pulling.

SaveComment17Like5
Comments (17)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
colleenoz

Yuuuuuuum!

Save    
foodonastump

Second picture took me a few tries to figure out!

It does look good. Haven’t had pig roast in a while.

Save    
Sooz

Ricky, this is "off topic" but you have an email coming at ya!

Smiles,

Sooz

1 Like Save    
dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m

Very impressive, Ricky!

Most whole hog BBQ I have seen are done rotisserie style.

Questions:

1. What kind of fire did you use?

2. What are those 4 "balls" under the hog?

3. What happened to the other half of the hog?

Thanks for sharing.

dcarch

Save    
foodonastump

2. That’s the one that I got hung up on. Cabbage.

Save    
ritaweeda

Cabbage?? And here I thought they looked like something so awful I can't even say it. But the pig looks delicious. The only time I've ever had whole hog was when my sister got one of those metal boxes that the Latinos use here in Florida, best pork I've ever had but they know how to do it with all the flavors that they use in and on the meat.

Save    
fawnridge (Ricky)

I had no idea this was happening until I got there, so a lot of what you see was improvised. It was a half a hog and no head (no cheeks, damn!) In order to keep all the fluids in the body cavity, Sean cut a couple of heads of cabbage in half and wedged them under the body so that the rib cage and the cut spine would be level.

Rita - La Caja China is the metal box you've seen in South Florida. It's an amazing cooker, but it's not a smoker. I've had hog from them several times over the years and even considered buying one

DC - it was cooked on a modified Lang 84 with oak and all-natural charcoal.

Save    
foodonastump

Ricky - Since you’re familiar with La Caja China, perhaps you can answer something I’ve been wondering for a long time: Is it effectively just an oven that can hold a lot? Since the heat comes from above a metal lid, I’m assuming there’s no inherent wood/charcoal/smoke/bbq flavor to it?

Save    
fawnridge (Ricky)

foas - you are correct. It's a convection oven that gets REALLY hot and very fast. The internal temperature, that you have no control over, gets to almost 700 degrees and no smoke flavor reaches the meat.

[La Caja China website

](https://www.lacajachina.com)

Save    
nancyofnc

Here in the South it's called a Pig Pickin'.

Save    
ritaweeda

Yeah - it's not like smoked BBQ - if you know a Caribbean Hispanic that knows the ropes with these things, by all means make friends, it's to die for pork. They use all the spices and citrus juices (like sour orange) that makes this so succulent. And the one my sister had didn't hold anything bigger than a suckling pig.

Save    
annie1992

Ricky, that does look good.

My oldest daughter, Amanda, had a pig roast at her wedding reception but it was a whole hog, done over a rotisserie, complete with cheeks. It was really good and there was none left, unfortunately.

Annie

Save    
bragu_DSM 5

He's enjoying this way too much. Makes me wish I was there .... *grin*

Save     Thanked by fawnridge (Ricky)
2ManyDiversions

Thank you for sharing Ricky! Your smiling face says it all, and is a joy to see : ) I just want to pull on some gloves and jump in to help... but I'd take too many sneaky bites! Gosh that looks good.

1 Like Save     Thanked by fawnridge (Ricky)
Jakkom Katsu

I'm soooooo envious......

Thx for the pix and the details!

Save    
lindac92

Our country club had a whole pig roast every 4th of July for a lot of years. They had an oil barrel cooker with a rack and sort of a "thing" so the pig could be turned over.
My son worked at The Club summers when he was in college.....and tells of arriving very early to help set up the pig roast, definitely feeling the effects of the night before....and being given the task of sawing the trotters off the pig....
That was a cookie tossing event!

Save    
chloebud

lol, Linda, cookie tossing, for sure!

I've only had whole roast pig once at a wedding reception a couple years ago. Good grief it was good!

My SIL was married to a Greek guy and they'd roast a whole lamb each Greek Easter. Some of the best I've ever had. As I recall, they considered the head a delicacy. :-/

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular 10 Tips to Maximize Your Whole-House Remodel
Cover all the bases now to ensure many years of satisfaction with your full renovation, second-story addition or bump-out
Full Story
Patios Getting Ready to Grill? 7 Ideas for Setting Up a Barbecue Zone
If you’re planning to cook outside more this summer, check out these creative outdoor grilling areas for inspiration
Full Story
Inspiring Gardens Idyllic English Gardens for the Whole Community
This award-winning 12-acre landscape for a midcentury housing complex outside London features woodlands and a lake
Full Story
Established in 1992, Armor Fence is a family-owned-and-operated business priding ourselves on providing the... Read More
Full service Design/ Build firm with over 15 years experience in kitchens, bathrooms, interior design, furniture,... Read More