SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aclum

Sausage, Etc. Again - 'Whole' Hog

aclum
15 years ago

Hi,

Since we don't have a sausage (or "charcuterie") forum yet, thought I'd start a new thread relating to sausages as the old one was pretty long...

Anyway, I'm getting a half hog this week (raised on pasture - supplemented with corn meal - no hormones or antibiotics) and need to decide how I want it cut up (and what I want to keep) by about July 3rd. Any tips on what I should order for sausage making, charcuterie, etc.?

I'll probably put everything in the freezer to begin with. When the weather cools down (and I can get another frig in the garage for the right temp), I want to try a dry cured ham - so I know to get the ham with the skin on and aitch bone removed. I know the liver and heart can be used in sausage - as well as the tongue, but for some reason I have trouble dealing with that so I'll pass on the tongue. I'll have all the fat saved, including caul fat.

Anyway, any suggestions as to cutting instructions? I want to do charcuterie, but also want good pork chops, roasts, etc. to eat.

Thanks!

Anne

Comments (22)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals