SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Barbequeing whole chicken

Lars
11 years ago

I have found plenty of recipes for barbequing cut up chicken, but I want to cook one whole in my new Big Green Egg. It seems appropriate to put a whole chicken in the Egg for its first use.

At first I wanted to cook it Tandoori style, but the recipes said to cut it up, and I want to slow cook this chicken, since I have to start cooking at temps no higher than 350 degrees for the first four times I use the Egg. It takes a while for the ceramic to cure, or something like that. Anyway, once it is cured, it can function as a ceramic oven at temps up to 800 degrees, which would be good for Naan and pizza. Kevin says we are supposed to cook Naan on the roof of the oven, but I think we can use the pizza stone that I bought with it.

I next checked my Sichuan cookbook, and it only had recipes for cut up chicken as well. Unless someone comes up with a better or more interesting idea, I will cook it Algerian style, which I like very much, but I was hoping to use a new recipe. I have a Moroccan recipe for Lemon-Olive Chicken from the book Soul of a New Cuisine, but it uses quite a bit of ginger, which I am not sure I would like. I much prefer Algerian cooking to Moroccan.

What is your favorite way to barbeque a whole chicken? I'll post my Algerian recipe if anyone has not seen it, but it's already been posted a few times.

Lars

Comments (25)

• twoyur
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I am getting ready to do two whole chickens on a weber kettle grill beer can style. It works well. Gets the chicken crispy all around and according to my beer hating wife you do not taste the beer.

I just rub chicken with oil or butter. Sprinkle with salt , pepper and bit of old bay. and then stick on a 3/4 full beer can. cook for 75 minutes or so.

After a rest I pull the chicken apart and will serve it this time with roast asparagus and roast potatoes.

I have decided that it is easier to just do everything else in Moroccan, Indian, Japanese etc and just do chicken in this manner . I can use left overs for salads, sandwiches , or just cold.

Good luck on your Egg. I have thought about buying one but just never did it

• ruthanna_gw
    11 years ago

I hesitate to post this because it's so simple and I have never made it with a whole chicken, only ones halved lengthwise or turkey breast halves. We call it Firemen's Chicken because so many of the fire companies do it this way for their fund raising BBQs.

Put the poultry on the grill bone side down between a medium and low heat. Meanwhile make a wash of proportions of one cup cider vinegar to one tablespoon Worcestershire sauce to one teaspoon paprika. I put it in a food-safe spray bottle. Spray the skin side of the chicken with the wash. Cook for about two hours, turning and spraying the top side every 20 minutes until juices run clear. Skin should be golden brown but not charred.

• Related Discussions

Stainless steel chicken barbequer

Q

Comments (0)
    Looking to build a stainless steel bbq chicken cooker. One you would slide the chicken on a rod and it would rotisserie the chicken, dip it in the sauce and cook it all in one easy step. Anyone have any ideas where I could get plans for such a project? I would like it to cook about 100 chicken halves.
    ...See More

One whole chicken, a new Crock Pot,

Q

Comments (41)
    Stacy hit the nail on the head : " With new babies and other little ones, we are lucky to get Spaghetti'o's for supper LOL. Add to that we have one,two or three little ones added to DH and I in our queen sized bed every night so understand about the sleep deprevation. " Drake is teething like crazy and was vax'd Thursday and won't go to anyone else and won't play in his exersaucer or on the floor, he has to have momma. That's why I needed a recipe for a whole chicken in the crockpot, I didn't have the time to take it apart, and didn't want to use the oven. Thanks for the recipes, ya'll. Changeling, it's ok. It wasn't entirely you, and I forgive you anyway. I just don't cook the way I used to. It's exactly like Stacy said, some nights I'm lucky to get a can of anything opened for supper. I simply don't have the time or sanity to prepare an elaborate meal. And the forum has changed since I first started posting here, not saying that's bad, just saying that I haven't been able to keep up with the changes because of the direction I've gone with my life. Lyra had it right, too - I come here to visit old friends more than to post about what sides might go with apricot-chili pork loin. I don't have the opportunity to drop in often because of my two little ones. If I'm AWOL, it's because of them. : P
    ...See More

Whole Chicken...... would you use it?

Q

Comments (16)
    I would have cooked it right away. Just putting it in the fridge won't stop bacteria. Not even possible for me to guess over the Internet. I go by smell if I wonder. I used to have a cat that was a perfect judge... I'd offer a suspect fridge sample and if she wouldn't eat I didn't. I wouldn't trust a dog... except if she rolled in it I'd not eat it. If you do cook it wash the heck out of it!. Make certain to get under the wings and legs. If the skin is loose pull it off and wash under it. Call me chicken paranoid but I always wash them before cooking. When storing them in the fridge I put them in plastic bags with a good shot of burbon poured over them. One of the reasons I hate freezing meat is it has to be unfrozen. Most of the time I try to defrost in the fridge so that I recycle the energy used to freeze it... fridge does not work as hard when it has a frozen chunk keeping things cool. : ) lyra
    ...See More

How long would you keep whole chickens in freezer?

Q

Comments (6)
    Shrink wrapped is not the same as vacuum sealed. Store chickens in trays are shrink wrapped and that's not good for freezing. I wouldn't want to keep them 12 months unless they were vacuum sealed and a good hard freeze and they'll probably still degrade a bit so it depends on how much you'll accept. They will not be like fresh. And to try to keep them that long, I'd also either wrap in foil or an extra freezer bag. Make sure your freezer is at a proper freezer temp.
    ...See More
  • momto4kids
    11 years ago

"It seems appropriate to put a whole chicken in the Egg for its first use."

LOL, Lars!!

I just read a recipe/technique in a recent Cook's illustrated for grilling a whole chicken, without the skin. I bought a chicken yesterday to roast on the grill later this week. I'll look for your Algerian recipe. I'm not wedded to a flavor profile yet...I just really want to cook it on the grill.

• Lars
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Normally, I use my Cajun seasoning mix on chicken, but I thought it would be nice to try something different. I just remembered that I bought a can of Ethiopian Berberé spice mix when I was at Surfas last week-end, and I might try using that. When I opened the can, it made me sneeze, and it appears that black pepper is the main ingredient, although it is listed second after paprika. I hate it when spice mixes are mostly pepper or salt, as those ingredients I can add myself, but it does have a good flavor overall - just a bit too much pepper for my taste, and I like things hot!

How do you roast potatoes? I have some I want to cook, but I was just going to put them in the pressure cooker, since that is a mindless way to cook them. I've had them come out too dry when I tried roasting them.

Lars

• twoyur
    11 years ago

Roast Potatoes

If they are small new potatoes I just toss them with with oil and what ever spices i want. If they are large I cut them into uniform size pieces and then toss them with oil and spices. I then take them put them in a shallow pan and put them in the grill with the chicken. Turning them occasionally until tender. depending on size they can take as little as 25 minutes or as much as 45 minutes
    The two ways I like best are with curry powder and just sea salt and fresh ground pepper.

• caliloo
    11 years ago

I would do a "Beer can chicken" or variation in that theme. I have done it with a beer can, a Dr Pepper can, a root beer can (don't ask LOL) and ginger ale in a can. The basic idea is to get the chicken propped up so it cooks vertically. I think they sell a special rack for that sort of thing if you don't want to use the can. I am c&p the basic idea, you can use any spices you like.
    Alexa

Beer can chicken

This basic variation of the "beer in the butt" chicken recipe combines the flavors of a great spice rub with the flavors steamed out of the beer can.

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 2 hours

Total Time: 2 hours, 15 minutes

Yield: Serves 4

Ingredients:
    •1 whole chicken (about 4 pounds)
    •1 12 ounce can beer (room temperature)
    •2 cloves garlic, minced
    •2 sprigs fresh rosemary
    •2 teaspoons olive oil
    •1 teaspoon dried thyme
    •1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, crushed
    •Juice of 1 lemon
    •For Rub:
    •1 teaspoon paprika
    •1 teaspoon salt
    •1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
    •1 teaspoon dried thyme
    •1/2 teaspoon black pepper, ground
    •1/2 teaspoon lemon zest

Preparation:

Combine all rub ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Set aside.
    Remove giblets and the neck from chicken. Sprinkle all over with rub, including cavity. Open can of beer and discard half of it. Place, minced garlic, rosemary, thyme, lemon juice, and pepper flakes in it. Make sure to pierce two more holes on the top of beer can. Place chicken on top of can.

Preheat grill for a medium heat. Place birds on grill balanced by the beer cans. Grill over indirect medium heat for 1 1/2 to 2 hours until internal temperature of thigh is 180 degrees. Remove chicken when finished cooking and let sit (with beer can still intact), for 10 minutes before carving.

Here is a link that might be useful: beer can chicken

• Lars
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Alexa - I was thinking of using rosemary in the chicken, since I have it in the yard and almost never use it. I do like it in chicken, and I planted it where almost nothing else wants to grow! I should do that with the mint as well.

We have a device for standing the chicken on its end, but the BGE users say that this should not be used in the Egg because it funnels heat to the top of the chicken, and the breasts end up being dry before the thighs get cooked. I think we'll have to cook it on its side, and I might start it breast side down for the first part of cooking, depending on how I season it. I've done the beer can method (with beer) in the large Weber grill, and that was okay, but it actually worked better in the smoker.

Kevin came down with a cold, but he says he's still up for cooking. I'm making lunch right now.

Thanks for your recipe - I like all of those flavors! BTW, I had Kevin check for recipes in Fifty Shades of Chicken, but he didn't find any that he liked. I thought some were okay, but it was mostly about the trussing.

Lars

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    11 years ago

BTW Lars, you don't have a Big Green Egg. You have a Big Teal Egg. :-)

I have read many posts from other forums. The BGE seems to be able to do a very good BBQ whole chicken.

That is very understandable. The shape of the egg, the insulation of the interior material and the controlled ventilation, all will give you very even baking and you will end up with a very delicious chicken with crispy skin and still not overcooked.

The BGE looks very good in your garden setting.

dcarch

• momto4kids
    11 years ago

This is the recipe I plan to use.

Grilled Lemon Chicken with Rosemary (whole chicken. no skin)
    Source: Cook's Illustrated, May 2013
    Serves 4

For a better grip, use a paper towel to grasp the skin when removing it from the chicken.
    Ingredients

1 (3 1/2-to 4-pound) whole chicken, giblets discarded
    3/4 cup sugar
    Salt and pepper
    2 lemons
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
    1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter

Instructions

1. With chicken breast side down, using kitchen shears, cut through bones on either side of backbone; discard backbone. Flip chicken over and press on breastbone to flatten. Using fingers and shears, peel skin off chicken, leaving skin on wings.

2. Tuck wings behind back. Turn legs so drumsticks face inward toward breasts. Using chef’s knife, cut ½-inch-deep slits, spaced ½ inch apart, in breasts and legs. Insert skewer through thigh of 1 leg, into bottom of breast, and through thigh of second leg. Insert second skewer, about 1 inch lower, through thigh and drumstick of 1 leg and then through thigh and drumstick of second leg.

3. Dissolve sugar and ¾ cup salt in 3 quarts cold water in large, wide container. Submerge chicken in brine, cover, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 1 hour.

4. Zest lemons (you should have 2 tablespoons grated zest). Juice 1 lemon (you should have 3 tablespoons juice) and quarter remaining lemon lengthwise. Combine zest, oil, 1½ teaspoons rosemary, 1 teaspoon mustard, and ½ teaspoon pepper in small bowl; set aside. Heat butter, remaining ½ teaspoon rosemary, remaining ½ teaspoon mustard, and ½ teaspoon pepper in small saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally, until butter is melted and ingredients are combined. Remove pan from heat and stir in lemon juice; leave mixture in saucepan.

5. Remove chicken from brine and pat dry with paper towels. With chicken skinned side down, rub ½ teaspoon zest mixture over surface of legs. Flip chicken over and rub remaining zest mixture evenly over entire surface, making sure to work mixture into slits.

6A. FOR A CHARCOAL GRILL: Open bottom vent completely. Light large chimney starter mounded with charcoal briquettes (7 quarts). When top coals are partially covered with ash, pour evenly over half of grill. Set cooking grate in place, cover, and open lid vent completely. Heat grill until hot, about 5 minutes.

6B. FOR A GAS GRILL: Turn all burners to high, cover, and heat grill until hot, about 15 minutes. Leave primary burner on high and turn off other burner(s).

1. Clean and oil cooking grate. Place chicken, skinned side down, and lemon quarters over hotter part of grill. Cover and cook until chicken and lemon quarters are well browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer lemon quarters to bowl and set aside. Flip chicken over and brush with one-third of butter mixture (place saucepan over cooler side of grill if mixture has solidified). Cover chicken loosely with aluminum foil. Continue to cook, covered, until chicken is well browned on second side, 8 to 10 minutes.

2. Remove foil and slide chicken to cooler side of grill. Brush with half of remaining butter mixture, and re-cover with foil. Continue to cook, covered, until breasts register 160 degrees and thighs/drumsticks register 175 degrees, 8 to 10 minutes longer.

3. Transfer chicken to carving board, brush with remaining butter mixture, tent loosely with foil, and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes. Carve into pieces and serve with reserved lemon quarters.

• jessyf
    11 years ago

DH spatchcocks our chickens (and turkeys) before he puts them on the BGE rack. He doesn't turn them over. We use a variety of seasonings/rubs - the latest I've been going through is Northwoods from Penzeys.

'Spatchcock' is cutting through the back of the bird and flattening it out, using a good strong push down to break the breast bone.

Alexa, I got a kick out of this picture I found. I love beer can chicken as well, we make it on our Weber gas grill

Here is a link that might be useful: Naughty battle of the Beer Can vs. Spatchcock birds

• annie1992
    11 years ago

Lars, I make your Algerian chicken and I like it, it's even good at room temperature.

Elery says to tell you he's envious, he's been looking at the BGE and another similar grill, but he really wants a wood burning oven instead.

I know Ann T did a side by side comparison of beer can chicken and regular roast chicken and found no difference in taste or moistness, so I don't bother. All I do is make a mess with the darned things anyway.

LOL, Jessica, somehow I knew where that link was going to take me!

Annie

• Lars
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your recipe, M24K - I will use that in the future. Today I used the Ethiopian Berberé mix and was a bit disappointed with it. Perhaps I should have removed skin, but I wanted it to be moist, which it was, and the skin came out very crispy. Kevin loves the BGE so much that he says he cannot see going back to the Weber, although I have a different view. It took quite a bit of charcoal (and in large chunks) to get the fire going and maintained. We tried doing a small fire first, but it started to go out after an hour of cooking, and so we had to add more fuel. Once we had a large fire, the Egg worked extremely well and we were able to maintain a constant temperature over a long period of time. I kept water in the pan with the chicken (which was raised on a rack), and so the chicken came out as moist as it does in the smoker, but in less time. The skin was perfectly cooked as well. Then I roasted some chilies and will make chili sauce with those tomorrow. It was so much easier to roast the chilies in the Egg than on the Weber grill, and I didn't have to watch them constantly.

The BGE can function similarly to a wood oven but it is not as large. I had thought about putting a pizza oven in the back yard, but we really do not have room for it without getting rid of some citrus trees, and I prefer the trees! I'm going to check the Pizza Making Forum before I make pizza on the BGE, as there may be some issues (see link below).

The BGE is actually more green than teal - I should have color corrected the photo before posting. Perhaps the reflection of sky makes it look bluer.

Jessy, I have also spatchcocked chickens before barbequing them, but they have come out moister for me when I kept them whole. I am collecting recipes for spice rubs, as they blends you buy in the store are too expensive. I will buy them once to see if I like them, but after that, I make the blends myself.

I made a spicy Thai soup for lunch (for Kevin's cold) with lemongrass, galangal, Kaffir lime leaves, and the other usual ingredients, and then he had leftover soup for dinner instead of the barbequed chicken. It looks like he will stay home from work tomorrow, and I hope I do not catch his cold, although I usually do.

Lars

Here is a link that might be useful: Pizza making on BGE

• Islay_Corbel
    11 years ago

I'm just as green as your egg with grill-envy :-) :-) :-)

• jessyf
    11 years ago

Lars, one item DH uses and has recommended to other BGE owners is a temperature controlled fan by BBQ Guru (Pennsylvania). Our model is no longer listed (purchased years ago) but there are others from which to choose. Let me know if you have questions....probably email is best, I've been super busy lately and haven't had much time for the forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: BBQ Guru

• susytwo
    11 years ago

I used to be a big fan of the beer can chicken, but I have since converted to butterflying the whole chicken and grilling it that way. I have had much better results. The meat seems to stay more moist.

Now that I've done it a few times, and feel that it's easier, and with better results, I don't know if I'd go back to bbqing the bird without butterflying it first.

• momto4kids
    11 years ago

I've just started the process for making the chicken according to the recipe I posted above.

I don't eat meat and touching raw meat is not fun to me. May I say that splitting the bird and removing the skin is just about the most heinous thing I've ever done in the kitchen. LOL!

I'll brine it later, closer to dinner. I just wanted to prep the bird since I had never done that before and didn't know what to expect.

• Lars
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If I do a Tandoori chicken, I will definitely spatchcock it and remove all the skin and then marinate it in the yogurt mixture. I cooked my chicken on a rack in a 8x13 pan that had 1/4" of water in the bottom - not enough to reach the top of the rack, but enough to help steam the chicken. I would have cooked it straight on the grill if I had butterflied it, and I'll probably do that next time. I want to try out different methods. The BGE is not good for the beer can method because it gets too hot at the top, and the chicken would be overcooked at the top and undercooked at the bottom. This method works great in the smoker, however. I think I mentioned this already.

Jessy, I'm not quite ready for a fan yet, but I will keep that in mind for the future and email you when I need more help. Thanks for that link, although I had trouble understanding the parts!!

Lars

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    11 years ago

“-----Thanks for that link, although I had trouble understanding the parts!!---“

Lars, I don’t have a BGE, but based on what I know about this kind of things, the following is my analysis:

All grills, gas, wood, charcoal or electric, have issues with temperature control. That is just the physics of how things work. It makes no difference how much money you paid for the appliance.

The gadget Jessyf linked, IMHO, is a very useful device.

It seems to me that it incorporates a computer type of cooling blower, which is driven by a brushless DC motor. This type of motors run very efficiently and is practically noiseless. They are normally rated with service life of 50,000 hours.

However, those types of motors are mostly 12VDC or 5VDC motors. The Party Q model uses 4 AA batteries, that makes it 6VDC. Also, brushless motors are somewhat sensitive to heat. In my experience, if the operating environment is near 130F, and voltage at 6VDC, the motor life can be much shorter. But I don’t think this will be too much of a problem.

The blower is controlled by digital electronics controller using a typical Type K thermocouple temperature sensor. The controller should have no problem to keep temperature to within one degree range. I will not go into PID controllers at this point, which is capable of figuring out the characteristics of the combustion and the thermal insulating quality of your appliance.

The controller determines how much air to feed the fire to keep the accurate temperature setting and that allows you to grill at a significantly lower temperature, if that is what you prefer.

You will also save fuel because there will be less wasted heat. You will be able to reach higher grilling temperature much quicker.

However, it will not be able to give you a much better temperature distribution within the appliance. The will remain more or less the same.

dcarch

• John Liu
    11 years ago

I, too, have BGE envy.

When I roast a whole chicken, I usually lard it with bacon strips, placed between the skin and the meat. I fantasize that this helps keep the meat moist, anyway it makes the crisp skin very tasty.

• suzyqtexas
    11 years ago

We went to the Green Egg cooking event last weekend in Athens, Texas. Quite fun, lots and lots of food. Cakes, breads appetizers and meat, meat and more meat all to taste for $5. So we went home and cooked a pizza on the egg. Used King Arthur pizza flour and cooked it 5 minutes at 600. Delicious. The best one was ceasar dressing for the sauce, with asparagus, artichoke arugula and goat cheese topping.

• momto4kids
    11 years ago

I don't know if I've done this right, but Lars, here's the chicken from the recipe I posted above...about to go on the grill in a few minutes. I tried squishing it as flat as I could, but this was the best I could do! It probably should be flatter. I'll let you know how it turns out.

• momto4kids
    11 years ago

My results...it wasn't pretty, but...

The meat was very, very moist as I sliced it. I could easily tell that. Everyone loved the flavor. So, it was, overall, a success. I learned a new way to cook chicken and the results were something everyone wants me to make again.

• Islay_Corbel
    11 years ago

That pic is making me want chicken now.........it's breakfast time :-) :-) :-)

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    11 years ago

Dang mom! That is one good looking chicken! Looks tasty. I wouldn't say it didn't look pretty at all.

Lars, have fun with your egg! You'll be sending out recipes soon, instead of asking for them, knowing you. :)

• Lars
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Your chicken looks great, and I like the methods you used, although it sounds like it was created for a gas grill rather than charcoal. I think it's good that you put the butter mixture on top of the chicken after it has been turned over, to help keep it moist, but with skin and fat removed from the chicken, it will not pick up as much flavor from smoke as it would otherwise. I'm still going to give it a try the next time I have a whole chicken, and I usually have one in the freezer because I buy them when they are on sale whether I need them or not!

Lars