SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_354017707

Rabbits - how can I get rid of them?

HU-354017707
4 years ago

I posted this elsewhere in the forum but haven’t received any advice yet....

I live on a street where there is at least one wild rabbit (possibly more). It (or they) moved into the neighborhood sometime last year. I first noticed it when it razed my 12 ranunculus to the ground. I went and created homemade chili/garlic spray from habaneros. It kept washing off. I sprinkled cayenne pepper. It would last a day max and so too $$ to use that for the better part of a year. Got the rabbit repellent pellets. Only worked for a bit. Liquid fence (despite using it exactly according to directions and not rained on) was a complete waste of money. It ignored completely. I’ve put a trap in lots of strategic places, and the rabbit never goes in (it will nibble at the bait from the outside though). In the meantime, it has eaten my bachelor buttons, strawberry plants, leaves on rose plants, various flowers. Plant rabbit proof plants, you may say? It eats them too. I recently lost a yarrow plant that was stripped of all leaves. And I live in a nice neighborhood that would not appreciate a rabbit proof fence put in the front yard (nor am I excited myself about surrounding my garden with chicken wire).

I’m at my wits’ end. Losing my yarrow made me realize that the rabbit will eat basically anything and is not deterred by anything. Actually, just tonight, I looked out of my window at now TWO fat cotton tail rabbits in my back yard. They are multiplying.

Is there any option that I may be missing? I’ve read blog after blog and I feel like I have exhausted my options.

Comments (4)