Can someone tell me....

Annie Deighnaugh

...what is a hipster? I hear the word all the time and have no idea what it actually refers to...is it someone old/retro who thinks he's cool, but isn't? Like bachelors in their 50s in polyester leisure suits trying to pick up middle aged women?

SaveComment19Like1
Comments (19)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
caflowerluver

I know one when I see one, but can't really explain. Your definition is as good as any other.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Annie Deighnaugh
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

It's the guy with the well groomed beard making artisanal bread in Brooklyn. It's a millennial, not an oldster.

Save     Thanked by Annie Deighnaugh
Rusty

Copied from dictionary.com:

noun Slang.

a usually young person who is trendy, stylish, or progressive in an unconventional way;someone who is hip.

a person, especially during the 1950s and 1960s, characterized by a particularly strong sense of alienation from most established social activities and relationships; a beatnik or hippie.

a performer or admirer of jazz, especially swing; a hepcat.

Rusty

1 Like Save     Thanked by Annie Deighnaugh
Annie Deighnaugh

No wonder I'm confused...it is both an older person and a younger one.

So it's a younger guy with a purse and a manbun or an older guy in a polyester leisure suit.

2 Likes Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

I guess its context dependent.

1 Like Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

But when I hear it used, it seems to be sarcastically. So is it someone who *thinks* he's cool but he's not? Or is it someone who actually is *cool*...or someone so far ahead, that his style is not yet cool?

I'm still confused.

Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

I don't think anyone refers to himself/herself as a hipster.

Save    
sushipup1

The old guy in a leisure suit now is not a hipster. If he was wearing the same thing 50 years, then maybe at that time. The two do not co-exist in today's world.

Save    
socks

Hipsters are young adults without 2 kids and a van, they dress cool and habituate the trendy coffee places.

1 Like Save    
adellabedella_usa

I loosely define it as someone who is a poser. It's usually someone who has gone retro because they think it makes them cool or hip, but they don't fully embrace the ideology so they are hypocrites in a way.

Save    
Annette Holbrook(z7a)

Dark-rimmed glasses. American Apparel skinny jeans. A superfluous scarf. A continuous penchant for disliking anything that is not obscure. That's just the "starter kit" for becoming a true hipster.

Save    
maifleur01

It can also be an oldster some of which have a man bun. When I think of a older hipster I think of someone who acts like they are on display at all times. Adjusts their clothing so it is just right. Are often an aging lothario. Sadly you sometimes see them in some over 55 living complexes.

Save    
colleenoz

I think you usually hear the term used sarcastically because people who aren’t self-involved hipsters don’t much like them. Kind of like back in the day when people were disparaging about yuppies.

Save    
Andie

polyester leisure suits

Do those still exist?

Save    
Raye Smith

Yes, because they will never ever decompose....

6 Likes Save    
littlebug zone 5 Missouri

Hipsters are the style of underpants I like. More coverage than bikini underpants, less coverage than granny panties. ;)

3 Likes Save    
Andie

I love Jockey's hipsters.

1 Like Save    
ritaweeda

The word "hipster" reminds me of when I was in my early 20's and the people who dressed and acted mainstream during the normal working hours would don their headbands and peace symbols when they went out. Many of the guys had mustaches but never beards and their hair never went past their shirt collar. Really dressing up for them was a polyester leisure suit. The women donned miniskirts and heavy eye makeup and everyone used Patchouli or musk cologne.

Save    
graywings123

HipsterContemporary subculture

Description

The hipster subculture is stereotypically composed of young adults who reside primarily in gentrified neighborhoods. It is broadly associated with indie and alternative music and genres such as chill-out, folk, modern rock, pop rock, and post-Britpop. Wikipedia

Save    

Related Stories

Life 7 Ways to Help Someone Hit by a Hurricane
The best things you can do in the wake of devastation are sometimes the most surprising
Full Story
12 Ways Art and Books Can Tell Your Story
Your home may be the ultimate blank canvas. Give every room meaning with books and artwork that speak to you
Full Story
Fun Houzz How to Tell if You're an Architect
Sometimes it's hard to know. This chart can help
Full Story
Most Popular 8 Lessons on Renovating a House from Someone Who's Living It
So you think DIY remodeling is going to be fun? Here is one homeowner's list of what you may be getting yourself into
Full Story
Features Design Workshop: Materials That Tell a Story
See how wood, concrete and stone convey ideas about history, personal taste and much more
Full Story
Kitchen Design Houzz Call: Tell Us About Your First Kitchen
Great or godforsaken? Ragtag or refined? We want to hear about your younger self’s cooking space
Full Story
Life Tell Us: Do You Know How to Live With Your Parents?
If you've tried multigenerational living under one roof, we'd love to hear the details
Full Story
The Art of Architecture Tell a Story With Design for a More Meaningful Home
Go beyond a home's bones to find the narrative at its heart, for a more rewarding experience
Full Story