The Summer Solstice
7 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (22)
Related Discussions
Summer solstice!
Comments (15)It's always either/ or isn't it? -When what we want, when coming to weather extremes, is really neither/ nor! Here winter just kept on lingering on and on (as it did in many areas in the US as well). Now we've got a heat wave, that seems to be lingering around as well. With day temps at a steady 27â / 80âÂÂ, it's far from the worst heat wave we've experienced, but it's still hot enough for delicate ME to stay inside with the windows closed and the curtains shot during the daytime. So far we have only had 2.2mm rain this July, and it just might become a record breaker (unless we get the 40mm that they say have a 25% chance on Sunday), but of course I'm not worried about a lack of rain, since I can still water the balcony. -The other day though, I forgot to water.... NOT good! Especially the tomatoes looked like they had been moved to a desolate place in Sahara far away from watering cans, or even spitting llamas! -Apart from the one tomato, that's growing in cat litter in one of the window boxes as an experiment... Well, it seems it didn't notice one bit, that it didn't get any water the previous night! -And it had even taken so much time to take off, that I've been close to pulling it! -The other tomatoes have made it though, and I'm just hoping that there won't be any damage to the fruits! Grace: Your toms look very happy! I most certainly did not have fruits that plump in June! Does anyone have experience with Livingstone Daisies, Dorotheanthus bellidiformis (used to be known as Mesembryanthemum criniflorum)??? I bought some seeds at the botanical garden, and the plants I got from them have taken their sweet time to take off. -They seem bushier than I would have thought (compared to other kind of ice plants, I've grown), and have also taken their time to flower. I thought the warmer weather would be a help, but so far, I still have only one flower on one of the plants. I WANT MORE!!! -Any ideas as to what is going on? Do they need a certain age to go into flowering, or what sets them off? VG...See Moresummer solstice......
Comments (10)Still laughing...;-) I don't catch much of the news here lately. Were up at 4 am.. so call it a night early. I did google it and found a few things. :-) It seems you can do the same with an egg in the fall equinox. Here's one cute news story I found. Thanks for sharing Linda! I hope you all have a good day! I need to get moving, rumor is our first monsoon of the season may be today! Need to tie stuff down! lol... JoJo Here is a link that might be useful: Standing Brooms...See MoreSummer Solstice Stonehenge
Comments (9)Ann the only time I visited Stonehenge was way back in about 1964 while I was at College and three friends asked me to join them for a 'over night' visit. We drove down in a rattly old van owned by a student and waited for the non-arrival of the sun. In those days the stones were surrounded by barbed wire over which we had to climb and I remember the boys helping an elderly 'professor' type (big black hat and cloak) to scale the heights. We were the only people there and the whole experience I found to be underwhelming. A mixture of tiredness, hunger and the fear of the likely trouble I would be in should the authorities notice my absence from College didn't help the mood. Do any RP'ers have midsummer festivals in their various countries? Are there pop festivals that echo the old Woodstock or is everything very tame and organised? Here the huge Glastonbury Festival is coming up where tens of thousands of people gather at Worthy Farm deep in Somerset to hear am amazing variety of bands and solo artists . . . Dolly Parton will be a headline act and claims that knee-deep mud (if it rains) will not faze her! My DD tells me that 'Glasto' has been running so long it is now full of 'old people' "Some as ancient as you and Dad, they even take their grandchildren." There is just no answer to that. ;-( Here is a link that might be useful: Glastonbury Festival...See MoreLogee's Summer Solstice Celebration Sat. June 16, 2018
Comments (0)Logee's Summer Solstice Celebration Saturday, June 16...See More- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
Related Stories

SHOP HOUZZShop Houzz: Celebrate the Summer Solstice in Style
Embrace sunny style with finds that point to the summer solstice
Full Story0

SHOP HOUZZShop Houzz: Warm Summer Solstice Style
Get inspired by the longest day of the year with sunny decor and furniture
Full Story
POOLSSolstice Daydream Break: 10 Breathtaking Swimming Pools
Put Jack Frost's nipping out of mind with a virtual dip in 10 covetable Australian swimming spots
Full Story
MOST POPULAR20 Ideas for Easygoing Summer Parties
Ditch the fancy and fussy in favor of laid-back entertaining that leaves you more time to enjoy the fun
Full Story
DESIGNER SHOWCASESEscape to a Summer Holiday Fantasy at a Hamptons Show House
Imaginative designs meet philanthropy in a sprawling New York home, in rooms meant to inspire — if not actually live in
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESNortheast Gardener's June Checklist
Tote out garden ornaments, unleash your color passion and glean inspiration from the many Northeast tours
Full Story
GARDENING AND LANDSCAPINGA Screened-In Porch Communes With Nature
Lush forest views provide an idyllic backdrop for a Midwestern family's board games, coffee breaks and warm-weather dinners
Full Story
TRAVEL BY DESIGN10 Ideas for Packable Decor From Your Travels
It's fun to decorate with finds from a trip — but not so fun to lug them home. These ideas are affordable and easy on the suitcase
Full Story
LIFEYou Said It: ‘Stay Humble’ and More of the Week’s Tips and Ideas
Design advice, inspiration and observations that struck a chord this week
Full Story
WINDOWSSmall Skylights Add Comfort and Light Where You Need It
Consider this minor home improvement in rooms that don’t get enough natural daylight
Full Story
netla