SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
krista623

Pocket Door or Barn Door for laundry room?

krista623
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Our laundry room, which is next to the kitchen, close to the great room, does not currently have a door (ex was annoyed by it and took it off and threw it out). I'm not going to replace the door because you do lose any use of the wall that it opens up onto. We are in the process of replacing flooring throughout half the house (kitchen, hall, 1/2 bath, laundry room, part of great room) due to a flood from a waterline malfunction. While doing this we are taking down the wall between the kitchen and greatroom (which is not connected to the laundry room) and redoing the kitchen. Since we are doing lots of construction and getting a new floor now would be the time to put in a pocket door if we were going to do one. Or other option is barn door, which would maybe be cheaper and easier...but is it too trendy and we'll eventually hate it? Guessing they'll both be the same for sound?

eta: I have two cats and their litter box is in the laundry room, so the door will probably not be able to be 100% shut most of the time, but I'd like to be able to dampen some of the sound from the washer and dryer.

eta: adding quick drawing of layout. red is door that was removed. Green is where pocket door would be. Purple is where barn door would be. Totally not to scale.

Comments (21)