SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeanjeanremodelmachine

Master Bath Squeeze: Tub + shower + vanity = too tight quarters?

Mittens Cat
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Note: this is a new thread of a formerly discussed topic with updated photos and more specific subject line (former thread here: Dumb question: bathtub only plumbing fixtures).

The challenge: architect gave us a space of 113" x 92.5" for vanity, tub and shower. Our G.C. (aka The Miracle Worker) says not to worry, he can get it to work. My concern is that the space will feel too constricted, too bulky (like walking in a storage unit). Thinking a slim, shallow floating vanity is one answer (we have other places for storage; see below). We are going for a contemporary, minimalist look. I don't wear makeup nor use a blow dryer and could store all toiletries in a shoebox if I had to... :)

I know the space was not designed well, but hoping for some positive suggestions on how to make the best of it, space wise. (Not that I'm anguished over it--this is a first-world problem, no doubt!)

Updated photos:

Looking into main part of master from walk-in closet. That glass door (which opens onto patio) will likely be replaced by a slimmer window in order to give more room for vanity and shower door. The wall frame on the right foreground will frame a toilet closet (see next photo).

The toilet closet (secondary purpose: a hoosegow for occasionally yowling cat). This will have a glass pocket door.

The 104" vanity wall (starts at the door from master bedroom). There's only 18" from the wall to that door, but we'll probably substitute the door with a narrower window.

I would like to do something like this for the vanity, if it doesn't cost an arm, two legs and an elbow:

The shower-tub wall (113" total) looks a bit bigger in person!

Corner shower is marked out in chalk in a few different sizes. Hoping to fit a 60x30" Kohler Underscore (or, if we must downsize, a shorter tub like this 54" tub Briggs Biscay or a shorter freestanding like this (provided it has a right hand drain) 55" freestanding tub. Or, if I must cough up the extra $500 (boo), there's this $1,500 tub, though I'm not thrilled about the shallower soaking depth: Kohler 54" x 31" Seaforth cast iron tub.

Behind the master door, just outside the walk-in closet, there is this additional corner space where we could have some sort of extra storage, if need be. All my clothes could fit in one large suitcase, so storage isn't something I think a lot about!

Comments (12)