SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeanjeanremodelmachine

Space too tight for master shower and tub?

Mittens Cat
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We have a new master bathroom in the works. Framing is nearly done, but when I measured the interior spaces yesterday, the exterior wall (where shower and bathtub are to go) came out as 113" inches, wall to wall (stud to stud). Not sure how many inches I need to subtract from that for drywall, baseboards, built-in tub walls or whatnot, but it seems tight for a decent sized shower (was hoping for 3'x4') plus a tub (either built in or freestanding).

My husband and I are short, so a smaller tub would be OK for us I guess, but we are thinking possible resale or rental in a few years. Mainly wondering whether it's possible to squeeze the two into this space. The adjoining water closet seems overly large at 80" x 42", so wondering if we should steal some of that acreage and add it to the shower/tub area.

Caveat: there is a window (framed, but not yet installed) in the WC, but maybe we can move that over so it's in shower or above tub...? Not sure whether this would be a costly change or ? I'd also be happy giving up some of the walk-in closet. I live in tees and jeans, so...

Sorry to be a clueless newb. I am one of those people who can't seem to visualize things on paper. It wasn't until I stood in the space yesterday that I realized the proportions seemed a bit off. Architect is buried in several other projects, so I figured I'd consult the Houzz hive! Thanks!

Comments (11)