It's June ... What are you reading?
7 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (107)
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
Related Discussions
Flaming June: What Hot Books are you Reading?
Comments (96)I have finished the month of June with a book that was recommended to me on another site I follow and I only have one thing to say about it. Wow! The Q by Beth Brower is only available as an e-book or I can assure you that I would be purchasing it in hardcover. It's set in a slightly different Victorian England, no magic or anything like that for those who don't care for it. The main character, Quincy, has a year to satisfy 12 stipulations of her guardian's will in order to inherit the business she loves and runs. The problem is that the solicitor in charge of making sure she satisfies the conditions cannot tell her what any of them are. This does not really give a sense of the story but I finished it with that sense of loss the end of a good story brings. I did have a little trouble getting into it but it caught me by the second chapter....See MoreWhat are we reading in June 2020?
Comments (124)I just finished the audio version of Lady in Waiting: My Extraordinary Life in the Shadow of the Crown by Anne Glenconner, actually Lady Glenconner. It's a book that proves that truth is stranger than fiction. Glenconner is from an aristocratic family in England and as a child, played with contemporaries Queen Elizabeth and Princess Margaret. When she was older, she was a Maid of Honor at the coronation of Queen Elizabeth and Lady in Waiting to Princess Margaret for many years. Because as a female she wasn't going to inherit the family estate, she had to marry well and in fact married a very wealthy individual. He was extremely eccentric, having violent temper tantrums without regard to who was nearby. Once when they were in St. Petersburg, Russia, he became angry and lay down in the middle of the street in a fetal position. Their children, like most children of their "set," went to boarding school which they disliked intensely and would cry when being left there. Glenconner and her husband developed the island of Mustique which became a vacation destination for the rich and famous. The book describes their extravagant lives and a way of life that most of us (thankfully!) will never experience. I would give it a 5 out of 5 for its colorful events and characters but wouldn't recommend the audio version since the author narrates and her frequent smacking noises are distracting....See MoreWhat are you reading? June 2022 Edition
Comments (110)I didn't care for this, but DH is liking it: Await Your Reply, Dan Chaon I'm halfway into The Alienist, Caleb Carr (1994), which I came across in a list of historical mystery novels. The search for a serial killer is set against a detailed look at Manhattan in the late 19th Century. The killer is only differently repellent from the 'powers that be' in this rough and tumble period of crime bosses and protection racket cops preying on impoverished immigrants. Police Commissioner Teddy Roosevelt struggles to allow a pioneer psychiatrist (the 'alienist') as he builds a motivational template to identify the killer of very young boys employed as prostitutes. 4+ Stars....See MoreWhat are you reading? June 2026 Edition
Comments (31)We finished Comfort Me with Apples today. I reiterate, Ruth Reichel is an amazing author. They've elected to read the next book, wish I have also read. Can't wait to read another book by her, because they're all different, and they're all equally good, but I would love to read something I haven't read before! I think Comfort Me has fewer talking points, than the last book or the upcoming book! The upcoming book will be Garlic and Sapphires. Which is also a good book. What I'm reading, while I'm waiting on everybody else to catch up is, The Wide, Wide Sea. It's by Hampton Sides. I have often commented, multiple times, actually! how my favorite book ever is the book that he wrote about the exploration of the Arctic circle. I find it incredibly interesting that it is juxtaposed?! It's about Captain Cook (actually all the landmarks named after him, he never did that. He's incredibly misunderstood). I'm in the first chapter and it keeps glancing over at the oft wondered about supercontinent that has not been discovered in his time. There's a theory, circulating about the time he is navigating, but there is a continent bigger than Australia. I haven't actually looked up how big Antarctica is compared to Australia? But at this point, others wonder if it exists. I'm pretty sure Cook never makes it there. He says it's too hard, or it's further away than he thinks, something like that. So maybe he's right, maybe he's wrong?!...See More- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
Related Stories

MONTHLY HOME CHECKLISTSTo-Dos: Your June Home Checklist
Make summer easy by getting your home and outdoor gear in shape now
Full Story
MONTHLY HOME CHECKLISTSTo-Dos: Your June Home Checklist
Get ready for summer by freshening up your entertaining spaces and preparing for good times with others
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESRocky Mountain Gardener: What to Do in June
Join the edible-garden club, deadhead spring-blooming plants around the landscape and make sure to fit in an inspiring garden tour
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESMid-Atlantic Gardener: What to Do in June
Abundant sun is yielding bountiful blooms in the garden this month, but don't forget to watch for pests, package some seeds and plan ahead
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESSouthwest Gardener's June Checklist
Protect your plants from too much sun while waiting for rain relief, and guess what? Those cacti might need a drink
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESTexas Gardener: What to Do in June
Don't be discouraged by the dry summer heat — hardy plants, container gardens and smart watering can help landscapes thrive
Full Story0

LIFEHouzz Call: Where (and What) Are You Reading This Summer?
Whether you favor contemporary, classic or beach reads, do the long and lazy days of summer bring out the lit lover in you?
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESMake Sure You Read This Before Buying New Plants
Follow these 10 plant-selection tips to avoid buyer’s remorse
Full Story
HOME INNOVATIONSConsidering Renting to Vacationers? Read This First
More people are redesigning their homes for the short-term-rental boom. Here are 3 examples — and what to consider before joining in
Full Story
EVENTSMy Houzz: They’re Right at Home in Their Schindler House
Chance brought a couple to their Inglewood home designed by the L.A. midcentury architect. It will be part of a June design tour
Full Story
skibby (zone 4 Vermont)