SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Never Too Old For A New Trick

5 years ago

I was in Los Angeles this weekend visiting my "L.A. mom and dad". This couple adopted SWMBO and me when we lived in Los Angeles from 1985 to 1997.

"Lammie", our name for our L.A. mom, is in her late 70s now but still loves cooking and entertaining in her remarkable kitchen which I described in this 2011 thread over in the Kitchen forum. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/a-lot-of-livin-in-this-kitchen-dsvw-vd~2523312

I spent some time looking through her photo albums from 1988-1992. All the parties they had, with all the friends, crazy characters and drag queens that we hung out with then, and occasionally a photo of me and SWMBO. Lammie must have been about 45 then, gorgeous and stunning in every photo, laughing with "Laddie", our L.A. dad.

I remember when they installed a new floor in the kitchen, of unfinished pine, and threw a huge party. All the women were asked to wear high heels and all the men boots, and everyone was instructed to stomp and scrape, drink and spill wine, all the better to age the new floor. You've never seen so many girls and queens in, well back then they called them "f__k me pumps", or so many guys in cowboy boots. Laddie has retired and is slowing down, but still loves to host and eat, and his floor looks like it's been there for a hundred years.

I also visited my old neighborhood (the northernmost bit of Glendale by Montrose) and saw my friends from that period of my life. It is interesting to stand outside your old house and remember when you were still in your twenties and kid-free. I'm glad I left for the SF Bay Area and then for Portland. But I enjoyed my life in L.A. and this couple was a big part of it.

Mostly I enjoyed staying in their house, I trying to make myself useful. I polished their copper pots, fixed some lamps that weren't working, cleaned and helped cook. My my, did we eat. Let's see - we made carpaccio, roasted a prime rib, cooked escargot, ate lots of cheese and pate, all kinds of roasted and marinated vegetables, drank a lot of wine. My adoptive parents are on a fixed income now but they eat very well. Lammie is the best cook I know and she knows where to buy great food and then cooks it inventively and wonderfully.

Because it was Mothers Day, we wanted to buy her presents. SWMBO got her flowers. I got her an Anova Nano sous vide cooker and a propane torch, and Lammie and I spent the rest of the time playing with her new toy.

She was initially skeptical. Lammie has been cooking for almost 70 years and can do pretty much anything, so at first she didn't see the point of all this.

First I made a rib steak with salt, pepper, garlic, rosemary, lemon peel, and I forget what else. We cooked it at 125 F for 2 hours then seared it on her commercial Jade range that lives outside, the hottest cooktop I've ever used. It was pretty excellent and she got interested.

Two frozen Cornish game hens emerged from her freezer. I put one in a bag along with all the ingredients for Chicken Marbella, cooked it at 150 F for about 3 hours of which I figure 1 hour was defrosting time, then spatchcocked the cooked bird and torched it. She brined the other in the same Chicken Marbella ingredients and grilled it on her outside barbecue. Then we had a meal of the two birds plus various side dishes. She said the difference was notable, with the sous vide bird moister, more tender, and more flavorful.

Her son, a trained chef who does food science stuff at a meat company, came over and told her he has a sous vide cooker at work and that it is a good tool to have.

Now she's excited about her sous vide cooker! We are texting back and forth about recipes and sources, and I'm going to buy myself the same cooker so we can learn together.

So, I'm asking for things we should try making with our sous vide cookers. What is interesting and really shows off the technique? If you were with my beloved friend, what would you sous vide with her?

Comments (9)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH